The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
AlpacasSayQuack

New

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by AlpacasSayQuack » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:24 pm

I just found this forum on my lunch break and damn. This reads just like law school again. So much hating. However, I had a time getting a good job at first. Job is a job though. I now work on an indian reservation, and am lucky to live within 20 minutes of a city 50k+ people. Other colleagues have to drive 2 hrs to get to a town over 7k+ people. There are definitely some annoying and miserable drawbacks, but I make above market and I get a light workload. I push more papers than I used to and have less people interaction. I thought that would be miserable, but I like it more than I thought.
Look, I understand your problems and how depressing it is.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:02 am

If you actually think "a job is a job"... you're the kind of person who will settle for anything and has no standards. This is how you end up taking shit jobs for below market pay, barely scraping by.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:If you actually think "a job is a job"... you're the kind of person who will settle for anything and has no standards. This is how you end up taking shit jobs for below market pay, barely scraping by.
If you are actually delusional enough to esteem yourself above how the market values you and pass up solid opportunities in the field.... this is how you end up living in your parent's basement and flipping patties for McDonalds.

Look, you get your foot in the door, build a solid reputation, and leverage into higher paying opportunities. Easy to hit a six-figure salary with a stable firm if you take your opportunities and make the best of them. That's how the market works when you aren't in practice and the only leverage you have is your own superiority complex.

Beggars can't be choosers.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:If you actually think "a job is a job"... you're the kind of person who will settle for anything and has no standards. This is how you end up taking shit jobs for below market pay, barely scraping by.
How being unemployed preferable?

judgepayne

New

Post by judgepayne » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:37 am

I need to vent. I’ve read some worse horror stories on here and mine might seem tame in comparison, but it has been a nightmare for me.

Transferred to M after top 5% at regional T2%. I was so excited about this accomplishment. Took the risk and gave up the full-ride. Struck out everywhere. Been applying ever since. 3L about to graduate. Go back to my parents every weekend with a dead look on my face and do my best not to bask in the negativity around them. Everyone I come into contact with says I have such a promising future and that my resume will be at the top. Yea... hasn’t worked out that way.

Work for free in a prosecutor’s office. It’s engaging work, but Idk about the 10 year repayment plan (assuming I’m hired which isn’t likely). Probably not cut out for this in the long haul... it’s a 10 year commitment to public service. That was not a goal of mine going into law school.

Called the personal injury firm in my hometown that I worked at 1L summer. They would have loved to have me but now they are full.

I’m so sick of my quality of life being absolutely barren. Thought I could finally improve it by becoming a lawyer. It’s gotten substantially worse. I have to try to turn this around between now and bar passage; I just feel lost.

At some point, I had emotionally checked out, but I met a wonderful woman who I’d actually envision a future with. But I can’t in good conscience bring her into this struggle. It’s just another instance of realizing what I may have lost when I chose this ‘career’.

This is so weak and childish, but I need someone who actually understands this path to talk me up a bit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:56 am

You go back to your parents every weekend?

Enjoy that easy life, bro.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:08 am

Work for free in a prosecutor’s office. It’s engaging work, but Idk about the 10 year repayment plan (assuming I’m hired which isn’t likely). Probably not cut out for this in the long haul... it’s a 10 year commitment to public service. That was not a goal of mine going into law school.
Not a goal of yours going into law school?

Well you're about to be out of law school. Welcome to the real world.

judgepayne

New

Post by judgepayne » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:39 am

Ah yea that post was a bit too much/dramatic. Don’t skewer me too much! Graduation week just has me down a bit. I hope to be back with some positive news in the coming weeks. Just keep on applying.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:50 am

I realize there is stress for not having a 'job' prior to graduation. Yes, many people that did the traditional Summer Associate at a big law firm are able to leverage that experience into a job prior to graduation. However, some fields of law and the vast majority of law students across the country will have to hustle just like you're trying to do.

As far as the prosecutor's office. Since that's government work, just being an unpaid intern during the summer after you graduate will be a 'pipeline' that may lead to a job. Yes, there is no guarantee that they will have an open position after you pass the bar. However, there are going to be at least 10 people behind you that would kill for a chance to do that.

Just leverage what experience you can and try to remain chipper at work.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:56 am

LOPDNM hasn't responded after a full panel interview for a pre-bar job. That just sounds weird. The contact hasn't responded by email or phone despite them telling me they'd tell me in three weeks. I mean wouldn't they have dinged me yet at the very least. I've been ghosted, 7 weeks now.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:59 am

RCSOB657 wrote:You go back to your parents every weekend?

Well that's super constructive, dude.

Bla Bla Bla Blah

Bronze

Post by Bla Bla Bla Blah » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:49 pm

judgepayne wrote:I need to vent. I’ve read some worse horror stories on here and mine might seem tame in comparison, but it has been a nightmare for me.

Transferred to M after top 5% at regional T2%. I was so excited about this accomplishment. Took the risk and gave up the full-ride. Struck out everywhere. Been applying ever since. 3L about to graduate. Go back to my parents every weekend with a dead look on my face and do my best not to bask in the negativity around them. Everyone I come into contact with says I have such a promising future and that my resume will be at the top. Yea... hasn’t worked out that way.

Called the personal injury firm in my hometown that I worked at 1L summer. They would have loved to have me but now they are full.

I’m so sick of my quality of life being absolutely barren. Thought I could finally improve it by becoming a lawyer. It’s gotten substantially worse. I have to try to turn this around between now and bar passage; I just feel lost.

At some point, I had emotionally checked out, but I met a wonderful woman who I’d actually envision a future with. But I can’t in good conscience bring her into this struggle. It’s just another instance of realizing what I may have lost when I chose this ‘career’.

This is so weak and childish, but I need someone who actually understands this path to talk me up a bit.
I absolutely understand what you're going through. Mine was a bit different, but I can't emphasize this enough: it gets better when you get out of the law school bubble. Pass the Bar, it will let you grab opportunities when they become available. And outside of that, work in whatever legal capacity that is available to you. Obviously grab the best opportunity available, but I worked my way up through positions that the people on this board would laugh about. And now I'm in a position that many of them would covet.

The most important thing you will do is figuring out a way to keep your foot in the proverbial legal door. Does your school give out public interest fellowships that will allow the prosecutors office to pick you up even after law school? Like you mentioned, a lot of hiring has to do with timing. And you never know if, or when, timing and someone with the ability to hire you will align. But you have to keep yourself inside the legal arena to be there when things do align.

If you are in the legal arena, your resume will look good and your skill set will be viewed as current. Employers outside of the prosecutors office (get out to local bar events to meet these people) will be willing to hire you if you strike the right kind of friendship with them. Even friends from law school might know of positions that they can help you to get in at some point following graduation.

As far as dating goes, don't let all of this pressure to be awesome right out of a T10 get to you. Things will work out if you just stick with the struggle and keep on looking for your opportunity. It just sucks because we are all logically trained and can't (or do not like to) deal with next steps in life that are ambiguous, uncertain, and unkown. Here's the only things I have found that have made dating the wonderful types difficult during the struggle:

(1) Letting myself get into my own head. When you start to view yourself as a loser, instead of someone who is just struggling for a bit, it affects your relationships. It also affects your ability to be alert enough to jump on the right opportunity when it arises.

(2) Number 1 leads to missed opportunities. I'm more successful when I view myself in a more successful way, and obviously people gravitate towards that, I keep my relationships in tact (including with wonderful women), which reinforces my ability to be successful. When Number 1 snuck-in and took over my thought process, obviously this meant less money and more long-term struggle. I've lost love because of that (need money, and a bit of swagger, to be happy and build experiences in a relationship).

(3) The letdown when a relationship with a wonderful woman would end was harsh, and did impact my ability to focus my energy on my career. Not saying that your wonderful relationship will ever falter, but if it does... try not to go on a meaningless dating binge afterwards. Only takes more time and energy away from your goal: to land a kick ass attorney gig. Take some time to get to know you and become happy with yourself individually again. I think that when I first graduated, with everything I was going through at the time (including a custody battle and dating a wonderful person), I let the beat down of trying to land my career ruin almost everything in my life at the time. I then tried to make myself feel better through my relationships (I wasn't Charlie Sheening it by any means [at least I hope not], but I was looking for meaning through other people instead of myself I think). It wasn't until I let go of that, focused on valuing myself and true acceptance of my circumstances, that I found a crazy amount of success in a relatively short period of time. Now I will not date someone unless they add value to my life... which is a big difference from dating someone because I thought they would bring value to my life in the first place. (This is just a "what to do" if you get to this "verge-of-drunk-and-dead-in-a-ditch" point).

Just hang in there. I know it doesn't look like it right now, but opportunities will pop up even if you can't image how they will right now. Things change for the better when you get out there and give it your best shot on a daily basis. And with Bar passage, the right opportunity will pop up, and you will be able to land it. Again, it sucks because it is a slog. And sometimes it seems like a never ending, pointless to the point where you wonder "is this hell-on-earth and what did I ever do to deserve this?", slog. But most of that is just your own perception of yourself playing tricks on you while you're going through the slog.

I've been in your shoes (and probably even worse). I'm doing just fine now... 6 figure working for a firm that I like fine. I could have never predicted how I would have landed my opportunities to finally make it. But I can tell you that my chin was already up when the opportunities came (even though there are plenty of assholes [some right here on TLS] who would have tried to make me feel foolish for having pride in the positions I took to get to where I am today.) Most people in the real world, though, are just happy to help a good, hardworking, and smart person get back into the legal saddle if they can. Fact is, I'm doing better than most of the people that would have tried to keep my chin down right now... and most importantly, I am self-satisfied with where I'm at. Keep your chin up and seize your opportunities my friend! You've just got to keep a good frame of mind while you're going through the struggle!

P.S. It's never weak and childish to open up and share something like this. I think it takes guts and courage, considering that many people like to kick when others are down... and when they are down is when it hurts the most. Takes guts to open yourself up like that my friend. Don't ever stop doing it. There are people out there who will understand without judgment and help a brotha out. Let the negative energy just slide right off your back... because it's always more about them than it is about you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:39 am

judgepayne wrote:I need to vent. I’ve read some worse horror stories on here and mine might seem tame in comparison, but it has been a nightmare for me.

I come here a lot wanting to type out my story, but I don't know if anyone will think it's helpful. I'll go ahead and share now, regardless.

I didn't do well my first few years of undergrad because I was having too much fun. I got serious towards the end, and despite graduating magna cum laude for hitting the GPA requirements in my last required hours, I only ended up with a 3.02. But I was stoked that it was at least a 3.02 after where it had been for so long. I focused a lot of effort on the LSAT, took a course and even had a private instructor. that I paid for after working two years out of undergrad. Despite all this, I hit a 158. So, I started to worry. I was accepted into one local TTTT (if that) school that gets a lot of hate, but they gave me a scholarship when most schools just gave me a waitlist. I was excited to be going to law school. What the fuck did I know?

I ended up crushing it my 1L year. Top of the class, making the highest grade in a few courses. I quickly transferred into the T14. I had heard that people who came from low ranked schools typically did not do well in higher ranked schools. A couple of shitty things happened when I transferred. First, I missed the deadline for on-campus-recruiting- I was admitted into the school about 30 minutes before the deadline, and it would take hours to get my file set up. I had NO IDEA how important on campus hiring would be for my future. I just made an assumption that now that I was in the big time with this hot shot school, I'd have to beat away job opportunities. LOL. The second thing is that I chose some real sinkers for courses my first semester (2L) at the T14. I ended up with a 3.23 GPA, and was way outside of the rankings.

Obviously, no firms were interested in me, so I took a pretty eclectic bunch of jobs for the summer. I also got on to journals by way of favors from friends, and I had other extra curricular activities to pad the resume a bit. Didn't help all that much.

Well, I obsessed over making killer grades 3L. I took some pretty obvious grade booster courses, and it worked: I graduated in the top 1/4 of my class. Pretty remarkable all things considered. My diploma was very sexy at this point. However, that still didn't do the trick.

I tried to apply for clerkships, but no judge wanted a guy who aced Basket Weaving Law 101 but made a B- in Supreme Courts. Nevertheless, I kept trying, and ended up taking an unpaid temporary clerkship in a really decent market. How I got that job is why I'm taking the time to tell my story.

Pick up the damn phone and humanize yourself: I saw that the posting on OSCAR did not explicitly dissuade candidates from calling chambers, so I picked up the damn phone and I called chambers. I told them that I was very interested in the position and that I could interview ASAP. I emailed my files directly to the clerk, and I got an interview. More importantly, I got the job.

I thought all my troubles were washed away at this point. I could now apply to post-clerkship opportunities with Big firms. I thought I was going to make it into BigLaw like I always dreamed of! Instead, I found myself getting hit with rejection email after rejection email. I went to every networking event, no matter what, and I did well at those events. I got a few interviews from the events, in fact. But I still got rejected by these firms. Sometimes for obvious reasons, sometimes for reasons I still can't understand.

In desperation, I started to do something I am now absolutely recommending. I started researching firms that I wanted that had partners who were alumni at my school. Then I emailed them and asked them how the firm was, how life was in that city, for their stories. It didn't work a lot of the time, but it worked. I got an interview from a V10 firm based on a recommendation from the partner I connected with. And I got a job from that interview. In fact, I ended up with three offers from incredible firms by doing the same thing. And because the partners at these firms and I connected so well, I was able to recommend friends of mine that were struggling for the offers that I did not take, as well as getting a 3L friend into the temporary clerkship. Pay it forward! Yo, my people coming up!

I've been through so much self-doubt, so many compromises, and so much rejection that I won't even put into words for this forum. Just know that you are the master of your destiny. Pick up the damn phone and humanize yourself. It's so easy to dismiss an email resume as a recruiter. But a recruiter can't say no to a partner recommendation. So make an ally. It might take a while, but just one is enough if you get the job. Don't give up, don't be negative even when your world feels completely fucked. I took on so much debt wading through this unpaid clerkship, but it got me out of the Vale. Make a sacrifice if you can. Just keep moving forward.

I know this might not be super helpful for some people, but this is what happened to me and this is what I did to get where I wanted to be. It might not work for everyone, but the power of networking can really get you where you want to be.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:38 pm

What he should do is use the rent money he saves from living with his parents. Move that money into under valued stocks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

In desperation, I started to do something I am now absolutely recommending. I started researching firms that I wanted that had partners who were alumni at my school. Then I emailed them and asked them how the firm was, how life was in that city, for their stories. It didn't work a lot of the time, but it worked. I got an interview from a V10 firm based on a recommendation from the partner I connected with. And I got a job from that interview. In fact, I ended up with three offers from incredible firms by doing the same thing. And because the partners at these firms and I connected so well, I was able to recommend friends of mine that were struggling for the offers that I did not take, as well as getting a 3L friend into the temporary clerkship. Pay it forward! Yo, my people coming up!

Hey, glad it worked out for you. I'm a 3L at a lower T14 in a similar situation, but only slightly above median. I've also been reaching out to partners in a specialized practice that has been the focus of most of my experiences. One thing I struggle with is whether I should reach out to alumn partners in that specialized practice or a non-alumn partner in that practice who also happens to be a hiring partner? Did you only focus on alumn partners? Thanks again for your posting. It's inspiring.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

What he should do is use the rent money he saves from living with his parents. Move that money into under valued stocks.
This is terrible advice.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
If you are actually delusional enough to esteem yourself above how the market values you and pass up solid opportunities in the field.... this is how you end up living in your parent's basement and flipping patties for McDonalds.

Look, you get your foot in the door, build a solid reputation, and leverage into higher paying opportunities. Easy to hit a six-figure salary with a stable firm if you take your opportunities and make the best of them. That's how the market works when you aren't in practice and the only leverage you have is your own superiority complex.

If you are so incompetent you can't secure multiple job offers then I guess sure? I mean, that sucks that you have to live that way. You probably went to law school because you really like Law and Order or something I assume? Yikes.

Bla Bla Bla Blah

Bronze

Post by Bla Bla Bla Blah » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

If you are so incompetent you can't secure multiple job offers then I guess sure? I mean, that sucks that you have to live that way. You probably went to law school because you really like Law and Order or something I assume? Yikes.
:lol: You sound like a genuinely great dude. Most likely, you have lots of friends because of the value you add to everything around you. I tip my hat to both you, your inspiring insights, and life-wisdom.

I now have things to do, but please come back again soon. :D

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:28 pm

My desperation and need for money has progressed so much, that I decided to take a part time customer assistant job at Lowe's. I start this weekend. 30 yo old dude assisting customers alongside 18 year old kids...
Man, there is probably very few people on this planet as pathetic as me right now. I have truly failed at life. :(

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My desperation and need for money has progressed so much, that I decided to take a part time customer assistant job at Lowe's. I start this weekend. 30 yo old dude assisting customers alongside 18 year old kids...
Man, there is probably very few people on this planet as pathetic as me right now. I have truly failed at life. :(
Why are you looking down at 18 year-olds? Some of them might be harder working than you and might actually do a better job with customers.

You want to not be "pathetic"? Go to work this weekend, stop being weird, shutup, and do your job like every other real adult in this world (like your 18 year old coworkers) that goes to work for a paycheck.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My desperation and need for money has progressed so much, that I decided to take a part time customer assistant job at Lowe's. I start this weekend. 30 yo old dude assisting customers alongside 18 year old kids...
Why are you looking down at 18 year-olds? Some of them might be harder working than you and might actually do a better job with customers.

You want to not be "pathetic"? Go to work this weekend, stop being weird, shutup, and do your job like every other real adult in this world (like your 18 year old coworkers) that goes to work for a paycheck.
I feel like a loser.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I feel like a loser.
So accept your situation, go to work, work hard, and start solving your situation. Feeling like a loser doesn't solve your problems and will only create a negative vibe with people you interact with at work. Use that negative energy instead into putting in good work this weekend.

You're no more special than the 18 year olds you work with. Just because you're older doesn't make you better. There are 18/19 year old interns at tech companies that bring in $70,000 a semester.

Nobody cares about your educational background just like nobody wants to hear about whining coworker Andy and has 2 Master's degrees. Just go into work and work hard.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I feel like a loser.
So accept your situation, go to work, work hard, and start solving your situation. Feeling like a loser doesn't solve your problems and will only create a negative vibe with people you interact with at work. Use that negative energy instead into putting in good work this weekend.

You're no more special than the 18 year olds you work with. Just because you're older doesn't make you better. There are 18/19 year old interns at tech companies that bring in $70,000 a semester.

Nobody cares about your educational background just like nobody wants to hear about whining coworker Andy and has 2 Master's degrees. Just go into work and work hard.
I know. I'm just scared this is what I will be doing for the rest of my life, just minimum wage jobs, and no way to pay back my debt.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I feel like a loser.

I know. I'm just scared this is what I will be doing for the rest of my life, just minimum wage jobs, and no way to pay back my debt.

Whether you do this the rest of your life will be up to your work ethic. If you're lazy and whiny to everyone you work with because you think you're better with your JD, then it's going to be rough for you. If you go to whatever job you have, work hard, and advance then you won't have that problem.

Despite what you might have read on TLS or that other law forum with former TLS lifers who can't get off their ass, financial riches isn't directly correlated with JDs. Again, there are 18/19 year old college interns at tech companies and dropouts raking in way more than Yale JDs. You think these people are sitting around thinking about how much "better" the Yale JDs think they are?

Also the whole "stuck in a job" thing is nonsense. No one stops you from interviewing for other jobs once you've found a job, that's a total nonsense concept. Once you go to the interviews, the only thing stopping you from getting these jobs is yourself. Anyone else is just making excuses to make them feel better about themselves ("oh it's the industry not me", "oh it's because my JD I'm overqualified". Bullshit.) There are thousands of JDs out there that left their annoying lawyer job or first job they didn't like, into a job they liked more. I know people who started out in document review or as paralegals who ended up in-house attorneys at great companies.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”