The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Bikeflip

Gold

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by Bikeflip » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:19 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:Vale bros, I'm cracking. I'm hellishly defeated, and I'm feeling super alone in my plight (even though I know I'm not). I'm not gonna do anything dumb, but I sure as fuck don't wanna get out of bed tomorrow. Help bros.
You just have to keep trying. I know how shitty this is to here, but it took me damn near 1000 apps through a combination of targeted apps, mass mails, and job sites as well as reaching out to friends to get here. If relocating to SoDak is an option, I could do some reaching out here for you.
It's not shitty to hear. I know you bros worked your asses off to get somewhere, and reading about the struggle is a bit of a coping mechanism. You all understand the mental grind the Vale is. I'm not opposed to SD, but I dunno how viable it is. I have no ties, and I'm not barred there.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:04 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:Vale bros, I'm cracking. I'm hellishly defeated, and I'm feeling super alone in my plight (even though I know I'm not). I'm not gonna do anything dumb, but I sure as fuck don't wanna get out of bed tomorrow. Help bros.
You just have to keep trying. I know how shitty this is to here, but it took me damn near 1000 apps through a combination of targeted apps, mass mails, and job sites as well as reaching out to friends to get here. If relocating to SoDak is an option, I could do some reaching out here for you.
It's not shitty to hear. I know you bros worked your asses off to get somewhere, and reading about the struggle is a bit of a coping mechanism. You all understand the mental grind the Vale is. I'm not opposed to SD, but I dunno how viable it is. I have no ties, and I'm not barred there.
Neither am I. PM me your email addy.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:54 pm

Bike man I hope you feel better

You're doin what you can

And it sucks that it's not workin

But at least you're doing what you can

Lemme know if you need anything

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:55 pm

Your favorite whiskey list, with one caveat. They have to be in available in nips. I get one shot for every 10 cover letters I send. I like booze, and I need motivation. Figured I should play to my strengths.

MONSTERSQUAD

New

Post by MONSTERSQUAD » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:39 pm

Where do you go to school Bikeflip?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:50 pm

Hey bike, what kind of work u lookin for?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:45 pm

TL;DR there is hope, you have to fight through the hard times.

Long time lurker on Vale, but I recently had some bad then good things happen and I thought it might be appropriate to share my story for anyone who wants to hear it.
I graduated May 2013, top third, T2. Moved across the country for law school, moved back across to a third state after. Looked for a job while I was applying for the bar, nothing. After words, started mass mailing, and luckily a firm had an opening for a law clerk (their summer intern was going back to school as a 3L). So, I started the crummy job, and over the course of 6 months applied/mass mailed to over 1000 jobs/firms/orgs whatever. Like many of you, became a craigslist/indeed/byu board king. That is the first thing I did everyday when I came into work.

Far and few between were the interviews. The worst blow was a firm that told me that I was their "first choice" and would likely be hired, only to have them tell me in the end they decided they wanted someone with experience. This job paid less than 40K, but I was crushed. I was ready to give up. You all know how that feels, I know it.

I start contemplating taking another state's bar exam so that I may be marketable, something I really, really didnt want to do.

Then, last week, I found out that one of the attorneys working at my firm was quitting. It is a small firm with 4 attorneys. So I go to our office manager and ask about the open position. Not only do they decide they want someone with experience, but they are also letting me go. They decided they needed another full time paralegal to replace me. I was beyond devastated the entire weekend. Embarrassed, and humiliated. I know I am not the only who has contemplated ending it all, because of employment.

Turning from depression, to anger, to desperation, I began to contact old mass mailings for the third time to bother them again about job openings. In addition to the designated career email addresses, I begin cc'ing named partners, because at this point, I have nothing to lose. I am ruined emotionally, financially (with student loans).

Turns out, one of these partners was impressed by this, and his firm is hiring an associate attorney. Brings me in for an interview, and hires me on the spot.

It is amazing how things can turn around. When you have a fuck it attitude and have given up all hope, I guess anything can happen.

I dont mean to be a bragger, rather I just want to let you guys know it can happen, especially when you least expect it, that is why it is important not to give up, to fight the fight. We knew the market going in, we were prepared for this uphill battle since day one.If you believe in yourself and sell yourself, you will be able to do it. You deserve employment, dont ever forget how hard you have worked.

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:20 pm

Good shit, anon.

Quad, I'm a grad back home out West. Made the mistake of going to school out East.

Spleen, I've got a decent resume for family or crim law work. Some experience with policy work, too.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:43 pm

Bikeflip wrote:Good shit, anon.

Quad, I'm a grad back home out West. Made the mistake of going to school out East.

Spleen, I've got a decent resume for family or crim law work. Some experience with policy work, too.
DA or PD? And how do you feel about working in BFE in a poor rural state?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FamilyLawEsq

Bronze

Post by FamilyLawEsq » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:35 am

Bikeflip wrote:Thanks bros. Personal shit before Vday, and I'm not feeling great as you can imagine. I did the better living through chemicals route in law school, and I'm not opposed to doing it now. Insurance and money issues though.
I will cover the cost of the 1st 6 months of any prescriptions and the doctor's appointment. PM me. I am dead serious.

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:16 pm

FamilyLawEsq wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:Thanks bros. Personal shit before Vday, and I'm not feeling great as you can imagine. I did the better living through chemicals route in law school, and I'm not opposed to doing it now. Insurance and money issues though.
I will cover the cost of the 1st 6 months of any prescriptions and the doctor's appointment. PM me. I am dead serious.

If you have contract work for me to do, that'd be better therapy.

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:23 pm

Did the byu username or password change? Cant login. Can someone pm me with login and link, thnks!

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:20 pm

BYU:

User Name: jobfind
Password: cougarjobs

Still workin for me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:41 pm

Bikeflip wrote:BYU:

Still workin for me.
What link are using?

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:51 pm

robin600 wrote:

Still workin for me.
What link are using?

https://www.law2.byu.edu/Career_Services/jobbank/

If you still can't log in, and you want a specific state or school, tell me.

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:39 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
robin600 wrote:

Still workin for me.
What link are using?

https://www.law2.byu.edu/Career_Services/jobbank/

If you still can't log in, and you want a specific state or school, tell me.
Ok got it! Link I was using was bad ty!

bobtyme

New

Post by bobtyme » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:54 pm

Is anyone here finding a correlation between GPA and job prospects/interviews? Back in law school, people placed a great emphasis between two camps of students - those in the top 10% and the rest. Are people finding that having a top 30% GPA is finding them better opportunities? I personally did horrible in law school and it appears to be limiting my lateral options significantly.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:15 am

I'm top 20%, renowned as super amicable and interviews well... And I'm in the vale.

I do know that every motherfucker in the top10% of my T2 has a job though. Bastards.

bobtyme

New

Post by bobtyme » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:34 am

spleenworship wrote:I'm top 20%, renowned as super amicable and interviews well... And I'm in the vale.

I do know that every motherfucker in the top10% of my T2 has a job though. Bastards.
are you a 3L?

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:07 am

bobtyme wrote:Is anyone here finding a correlation between GPA and job prospects/interviews? Back in law school, people placed a great emphasis between two camps of students - those in the top 10% and the rest. Are people finding that having a top 30% GPA is finding them better opportunities? I personally did horrible in law school and it appears to be limiting my lateral options significantly.
I think it depends on your school. I went to a state flagship TTT and outside of the top 10ish%, there really wasn't any difference between someone who graduated top 1/3rd vs someone at median. At that point, it came down to more about how you interviewed and other more subjective factors.

I really don't know about lateral options though. Outside of some real luck in gaining some ridiculous notoriety in a case/some political pull, I would think bad grades (and school) will basically always be a bar to some firms.
Last edited by deadpanic on Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

bobtyme

New

Post by bobtyme » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:10 am

deadpanic wrote:
bobtyme wrote:Is anyone here finding a correlation between GPA and job prospects/interviews? Back in law school, people placed a great emphasis between two camps of students - those in the top 10% and the rest. Are people finding that having a top 30% GPA is finding them better opportunities? I personally did horrible in law school and it appears to be limiting my lateral options significantly.
I think it depends on your school. I went to a state flagship TTT and outside of the top 10ish%, there really wasn't any difference between someone who graduated top 1/3rd vs someone at median. At that point, it came down to more about how you interviewed and other more subjective factors.

I really don't know about lateral options though. Outside of some real luck in gaining some ridiculous notoriety in a case, I would think bad grades (and school) will basically always be a bar to some firms.
ugh, so dumb.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:41 am

bobtyme wrote:
deadpanic wrote:

I really don't know about lateral options though. Outside of some real luck in gaining some ridiculous notoriety in a case, I would think bad grades (and school) will basically always be a bar to some firms.
ugh, so dumb.
This is not the appropriate place for you to be poasting. People here are having trouble landing their first jobs as soon to be graduates or recent graduate, and would be lucky to be concerned with lateraling elsewhere.

bobtyme

New

Post by bobtyme » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
bobtyme wrote:
deadpanic wrote:

ugh, so dumb.
This is not the appropriate place for you to be poasting. People here are having trouble landing their first jobs as soon to be graduates or recent graduate, and would be lucky to be concerned with lateraling elsewhere.
Well if anyone has any questions on how to get their first job out of law school, feel free to PM me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:32 am

Not sure what to make of the grades, sometimes it cuts both ways, I just found a job two weeks ago (May 2013 grad) and I was Magna cum laude, one of my other top-10 friends has nothing, and a third top-10 is working on a school paid fake fellowship without a real job when it expires soon. T-30.

I had two interviews that were both like, "wow, your gpa, why don't you have a job, you would really work at our shitty place?" Then they reject me because they don't think I'm serious about it.

bobtyme

New

Post by bobtyme » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:Not sure what to make of the grades, sometimes it cuts both ways, I just found a job two weeks ago (May 2013 grad) and I was Magna cum laude, one of my other top-10 friends has nothing, and a third top-10 is working on a school paid fake fellowship without a real job when it expires soon. T-30.

I had two interviews that were both like, "wow, your gpa, why don't you have a job, you would really work at our shitty place?" Then they reject me because they don't think I'm serious about it.
well, at least you have the ability to eventually get a biglaw job. I have a midlaw job now (that i got through connections) but im tied to it because other firms wont want me bc of gpa.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”