The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Pretzel_Logic

Platinum

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by Pretzel_Logic » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Pretzel_Logic wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The more I think about it, the only right thing to do seems to be to get myself treated and tell the truth to the recruiters, even I it means I can't serve because of it. It's both the ethical choice and the correct thing to do for myself.

Anyone disagree or see another angle I'm missing?
Anon, I'm so sorry to hear you're struggling with this. I have friends in the military who have PTSD/depression/major anxiety and they have dodged treatment because they're afraid of getting sidelined, and watching them suffer is just awful. Please, please put your mental health first. I know it feels like a surrender, but there is literally nothing more important than getting help for yourself. I've been through a couple major depressive episodes myself and it is just shitty from every perspective. Get the help you need; once you do that, it really will open your mind up and you'll feel so much less crappy. It was amazing once I emerged from that prison how much brighter everything felt. I've fought depression through barzam study and then through unemployment, and while I'm not in the pit right now, several of my family members are and my anxiety levels are through the roof. I'm doing everything I can do to keep it in check but I've had to reach out to get some support. And I only figured out how to do that because depression just about took me out in law school before I got help.

tl;dr please do what you need to do to help yourself and pm me if you need to talk.
Anon you were replying to here: I know. And I know it's wrong of me, but even though I know I'm right to get help, part of my brain is screaming: weakling! Loser! You should tough it out! What's wrong with you?

Doing my best to ignore that.
That's the depression talking. Depression is a douchebag and he can get real loud, but just remind yourself he's wrong. Admitting you need help is strength.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:47 am

Anon pm me if you need anything.

I know who you are from your poastings and I can be discrete

Hope youre feelin better

aardvark87

New

Post by aardvark87 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:25 pm

Not a typical Vale issue, but is anyone dealing with moral character delays? I'm stuck in limbo with the CA bar after passing the July exam. If anyone has any insight, even if it's from another state, I'd appreciate a PM.

elpolitico

New

Post by elpolitico » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:43 pm

Hey all. I've been creeping on the Vale for a while, but figured I'd finally chime in.

Quick background: I'm a May 2013 grad from a law school at the bottom half of the top 100 (Tier 2?). Graduated without a job lined up, but was lucky to secure a decent-paying, non-legal, temp job while waiting for bar results. Passed the bar, but was unemployed for two months after that job ended. Now, I'm doing a part-time, non-legal "fellowship" funded by my law school. It was clearly created to boost our jobs numbers. It'll barely pays the bills for the next couple of months, but I still feel so very unemployed.

I have been applying to everything that I see and networking with folks in the field, but so far have zero leads. It's been such a frustrating process and makes me wish I had put off law school for a couple years. Just wanted to say I feel all of you who are struggling. Navigating the Vale has been a depressing endeavor.

Anyway, figured I'd quit creeping and actually participate. I look forward to exchanging ideas, job leads, and hope with you all in the weeks to come.

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:13 pm

aardvark87 wrote:Not a typical Vale issue, but is anyone dealing with moral character delays? I'm stuck in limbo with the CA bar after passing the July exam. If anyone has any insight, even if it's from another state, I'd appreciate a PM.

Prolly should lawyer up, breh.
elpolitico wrote:Hey all. I've been creeping on the Vale for a while, but figured I'd finally chime in.
Welcome. Settle in for the long haul.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:50 pm

I've lurked on this thread for a long time. My story is a little different - I clerked in state trial court in PA for 1 year in a rural town (2012 grad) and came out of that with nothing. So I wasn't in the vale initially, but I've been unemployed since August. I applied for jobs all over the state with the intention of moving to Philly if I didn't find work. Nothing but one interview came from sending out hundreds of apps and resumes, and that didn't pan out. So, I moved to Philly and I'm doing an unpaid fellowship.

On top of unemployment (and even when I was in the trial court clerkship, I could barely pay my bills), my dad very suddenly passed away in September. I echo others' sentiments about how terrible, depressing, and soul-crushing this is.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:55 pm

aardvark87 wrote:Not a typical Vale issue, but is anyone dealing with moral character delays? I'm stuck in limbo with the CA bar after passing the July exam. If anyone has any insight, even if it's from another state, I'd appreciate a PM.
I had a friend get stuck in C&F purgatory and one or her references was able to call and find out what the problem was. Maybe you could try that?

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:57 pm

When did you submit? Just wondering if I should freak out now

aardvark87

New

Post by aardvark87 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
On top of unemployment (and even when I was in the trial court clerkship, I could barely pay my bills), my dad very suddenly passed away in September. I echo others' sentiments about how terrible, depressing, and soul-crushing this is.
Sorry to hear that. Puts my whining in perspective. Keep on grinding, it'll break eventually.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've lurked on this thread for a long time. My story is a little different - I clerked in state trial court in PA for 1 year in a rural town (2012 grad) and came out of that with nothing. So I wasn't in the vale initially, but I've been unemployed since August. I applied for jobs all over the state with the intention of moving to Philly if I didn't find work. Nothing but one interview came from sending out hundreds of apps and resumes, and that didn't pan out. So, I moved to Philly and I'm doing an unpaid fellowship.

Sorry man. Keep the chin up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:05 pm

Anon from last night, non-suicidal.

Waiting at student health and counseling to talk to someone and get some kind of anxiolytic. I've had such a day. My plane flight to one of my interviews got cancelled and I ended up screaming "fuck you!" over and over again into the phone at a computer.

So yeah, it's best I'm here.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:52 am

Any GW people on here receive scholarly designations yet?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anon from last night, non-suicidal.

Waiting at student health and counseling to talk to someone and get some kind of anxiolytic. I've had such a day. My plane flight to one of my interviews got cancelled and I ended up screaming "fuck you!" over and over again into the phone at a computer.

Good for you. Hope it helps quickly. I know that when I was dealing with anxiety and depression I'd shriek obscenities at, well, just about anything. (Other drivers, my cats, the shower...you get the idea.)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:13 am

n
Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:41 am

jarofsoup wrote:Any GW people on here receive scholarly designations yet?
Negative.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:01 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anon from last night, non-suicidal.

Good for you. Hope it helps quickly. I know that when I was dealing with anxiety and depression I'd shriek obscenities at, well, just about anything. (Other drivers, my cats, the shower...you get the idea.)
Ok. So thanks to clonazopam I slept without whiskey for the first time in two weeks. No nightmares either. And while the Wellbutrin takes a little while to hit full potency, I'd say I do feel better today. I'm getting work done and haven't had more than a few twinges of anxiety this morning. I might even study for my job interview tonight.

Better living through pharmaceuticals.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:11 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know we pimp the BYU board a lot and it's great but I found something that I don't think has been mentioned yet. Most of the schools submit a pdf once a month but Indiana Law allows you to login to their symplicity and check listings daily ,which is really cool on their part. Any other schools do this?

Link: https://law-indiana-csm.symplicity.com/students/‎

Login: guest@indiana.edu

Password: password
Lots of them that link to the BYU bank.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:25 pm

0/12 so far. Reject from one of my top choices today. fml. I'm broke as a joke w/no job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:53 pm

What do you guys mean by pimping the BYU board

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What do you guys mean by pimping the BYU board
Front page of the Vale

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:37 pm

To the recent JAG Anon:

I know exactly how you feel (except that I was never accepted to JAG, so that makes the decision harder for you). I always wanted to do JAG and applied as a 1L for the Air Force ROTC JAG program. Problem was that I was having significant anxiety issues that were either caused by law school or simply coincided with it. In any event, my doctor recommended medication but I said no only because of my desire to get into JAG. Well it kept getting worse and I finally bit the bullet...and now I feel great. I have been taking the meds for two years and I still feel like my old self but with less stress and worry.

Every so often I kick myself making JAG impossible, but then I remember what would probably happen if I came off the medication. It sucks not being able to do something, but you can't sacrifice your well being for a job. Plus, mental health is no different than any other health problem -- nobody would fault you for not being able to be a fighter pilot because of bad eyesight.

I know your decision must be harder because you were already accepted, but you need to do what is best for your health. Good luck!

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To the recent JAG Anon:

I know exactly how you feel (except that I was never accepted to JAG, so that makes the decision harder for you). I always wanted to do JAG and applied as a 1L for the Air Force ROTC JAG program. Problem was that I was having significant anxiety issues that were either caused by law school or simply coincided with it. In any event, my doctor recommended medication but I said no only because of my desire to get into JAG. Well it kept getting worse and I finally bit the bullet...and now I feel great. I have been taking the meds for two years and I still feel like my old self but with less stress and worry.

Every so often I kick myself making JAG impossible, but then I remember what would probably happen if I came off the medication. It sucks not being able to do something, but you can't sacrifice your well being for a job. Plus, mental health is no different than any other health problem -- nobody would fault you for not being able to be a fighter pilot because of bad eyesight.

I know your decision must be harder because you were already accepted, but you need to do what is best for your health. Good luck!

What's so great about JAG? I mean, you do get deployed.......to Iraq. Or Afghanistan. Jobless or not, I don't think I could do that. The Anon guy should just chill. If he is sweating bullets now, imagine what Iraq would be like. Consider non-jobs for the time being.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:36 pm

sparty99 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:To the recent JAG Anon:

What's so great about JAG? I mean, you do get deployed.......to Iraq. Or Afghanistan. Jobless or not, I don't think I could do that. The Anon guy should just chill. If he is sweating bullets now, imagine what Iraq would be like. Consider non-jobs for the time being.
You're an ass sparty.

JAG pays decent, pays off $65k of your loans, gives you great experience, and deployments can be awesome experiences. I knew an attorney who came back from Afghanistan with awesome stories and mementos.

And personally, I'd rather be shot at than do law school again.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:16 am

For all the PA-barred Valers:
Northwestern Legal Services is seeking qualified applicants for a full or part-time Attorney position in its Warren Office. Caseload includes public benefits, family law, housing and other areas of poverty law. Travel required. Must be admitted to practice law in PA or be eligible for reciprocity. Salary with 0-5 yrs. experience is $35-$40K. Fringe benefits. Possible loan repayment assistance. EEO Employer.

Send detailed resume and cover letter to:

Administrative Asst.
Northwestern Legal Services
1001 State St., Suite 700
Erie, PA 16501
No Phone Calls Please

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”