The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:16 pm

Finally out of the vale! Got bar results yesterday and job offer today! Keep your heads up and keep applying. Best of luck to everyone!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm applying to a job posting that I've applied to before (it's a symplicity posting with a year-end deadline that gets refreshed every year). I was dinged via e-mail (before having a screener or anything) the first time I applied, which was last year. At the time, I was underqualified for the position. I am now qualified for the position and wish to apply again. The posting asks for a resume and cover letter. At any point should I indicate that I've applied before, or do I just treat the second application as an entirely new application? I assume the latter, but the idea of informing them "hey you have a file on me already and i'm now significantly more qualified" to save them time, etc. seems reasonable as well.

Anyone?

Edit: gonna try making a separate thread about this

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm applying to a job posting that I've applied to before (it's a symplicity posting with a year-end deadline that gets refreshed every year). I was dinged via e-mail (before having a screener or anything) the first time I applied, which was last year. At the time, I was underqualified for the position. I am now qualified for the position and wish to apply again. The posting asks for a resume and cover letter. At any point should I indicate that I've applied before, or do I just treat the second application as an entirely new application? I assume the latter, but the idea of informing them "hey you have a file on me already and i'm now significantly more qualified" to save them time, etc. seems reasonable as well.

Anyone?

Treat as entirely new application. They go through so many applications that they probably won't remember looking at your resume.

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Finally out of the vale! Got bar results yesterday and job offer today! Keep your heads up and keep applying. Best of luck to everyone!

Congrats, dude.

MichelleMichelle

Postby MichelleMichelle » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Anyone?

Treat as entirely new application. They go through so many applications that they probably won't remember looking at your resume.

As far as the OP, I think both options would be fine. But many big firms use resume tracking software. You're right that they go through so many resumes that the recruiter will probably not remember you. But the software might catch a former application. I only mention it as a heads up to other people who may be dealing with this scenario. I did not know that when I was applying and I would have changed my application strategy if I had known.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:34 am

Finally out of the vale! About two months ago I sat down and mass mailed every firm in my city. Several of those e-mails turned into interviews, and one of those interviews just turned into an offer, and its with the best firm in town! I couldn't be happier. Keep at it, never give up, even when you feel like its hopeless and you will get something!

Dr. Nefario

Postby Dr. Nefario » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:29 pm

Posted in last two weeks on Symplicity

Wilson Sonsini (Austin) - IP Lit
Nutter (Boston) - Private Client
Conn Kavanaugh (Boston) - General Lit

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:01 pm

So when does it become appropriate to start mass mailing smaller to mid-size firms in my city? I've been told most don't know what their needs will be until early next year. Or should I start to cultivate those relationships?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So when does it become appropriate to start mass mailing smaller to mid-size firms in my city? I've been told most don't know what their needs will be until early next year. Or should I start to cultivate those relationships?

cultivate those relationships, don't apply yet

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So when does it become appropriate to start mass mailing smaller to mid-size firms in my city? I've been told most don't know what their needs will be until early next year. Or should I start to cultivate those relationships?

cultivate those relationships, don't apply yet

What is good, general advice for how to cultivate relationships? I've never really known how to do that/what to say.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:51 pm

Any 3Ls out there just reading the comments in here feeling like shit after OCIs fell through?

Return to “Legal Employment”