The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:My firm no offered me and the other 2 SAs for "budget issues"...then went ahead and hired 2 new attorneys and 3 more SA's for the following summer...I was pissed.
LOL the firm that no-offered me just hired an entry-level from my school. Those fucks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My firm no offered me and the other 2 SAs for "budget issues"...then went ahead and hired 2 new attorneys and 3 more SA's for the following summer...I was pissed.
LOL the firm that no-offered me just hired an entry-level from my school. Those fucks.
it is better than giving you offers and then not answering questions about when to start and hinting about bad market situations might affect your offer

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
it is better than giving you offers and then not answering questions about when to start and hinting about bad market situations might affect your offer
Shiiiiit. You been looking for something else?

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
What pieces of shit. Sorry bro.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:44 pm

I thought I'd be a nice guy and help the 3Ls that are where I will inevitably be.
Most recent available positions for entry level:

Perkins Coie: Political Law - Washington D.C.
Holland & Knight: Land Use - Washington D.C.
Polsinelli Shughart: Corporate & Commercial Litigation - Wilmington, DE
Squire Sanders: Health Law Fellowship (looking for current 3Ls)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:06 pm

My school put up some sweet paralegal and secretary jobs today. lemme know if you want more info.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:18 pm

There's an entry-level actual-lawyer position for 39k a year up on my school's job board if actually using your degree to earn a terrible salary makes you any happier than being a legal secretary.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:24 pm

That position will be taken in no time. It beats staying with the the bulk of the rest of the unemployed class about to graduate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:25 pm

My school posted a 30K law clerk job that might turn into an actual attorney position if you pass the bar. I applied and would be excited if I got it. :oops:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

2LsAPlenty

Bronze

Post by 2LsAPlenty » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:27 pm

Actually, unless you are in NY, Boston or LA, that probably is not that out of line for a starting salary for non big law firms. It would be nice if it were double that but it does not seem many of those jobs are available now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:22 am

Are we ready for the supposed March pick up in small firm hiring?

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:10 am

Here's a good resource for average salaries of different-sized firms (p. 8) with multipliers for different cities (p.14–15):
Robert Half Legal Salary Guide

Kobe824

New

Post by Kobe824 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are we ready for the supposed March pick up in small firm hiring?
Ha, just like the supposed pick up in January and February.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

2LsAPlenty

Bronze

Post by 2LsAPlenty » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:44 pm

Kobe824 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are we ready for the supposed March pick up in small firm hiring?

Yes, that is the one. They were just kidding about January and February. I will bet postings will be rolling off the page on Simplicity.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:42 pm

2LsAPlenty wrote:
Kobe824 wrote:

Yes, that is the one. They were just kidding about January and February. I will bet postings will be rolling off the page on Simplicity.
The jobs are coming. They are riding with Godot and will not be here this evening but surely tomorrow.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:50 pm

TTH wrote: The jobs are coming. They are riding with Godot and will not be here this evening but surely tomorrow.
I wanted to quote this to make sure the comment got the appreciation it deserves

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:16 pm

rad lulz wrote:
TTH wrote: The jobs are coming. They are riding with Godot and will not be here this evening but surely tomorrow.
I wanted to quote this to make sure the comment got the appreciation it deserves
Thanks bro. I'm no Grizz, that guy was brilliant, but I have my moments.

What do you bros think of "staff attorney" jerbs at big firms in secondary markets (i.e., the local version of biglaw, not a biglaw office in rando city)? Are these jobs any better than doc review monkeys?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:23 pm

TTH wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

What do you bros think of "staff attorney" jerbs at big firms in secondary markets (i.e., the local version of biglaw, not a biglaw office in rando city)? Are these jobs any better than doc review monkeys?
Probably better than being a doc review monkey, but it's not clear what, if any, prospects those have for career advancement should you leave. I wouldn't think you'd be learning any decent small firm skills

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:21 pm

rad lulz wrote:
TTH wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Probably better than being a doc review monkey, but it's not clear what, if any, prospects those have for career advancement should you leave. I wouldn't think you'd be learning any decent small firm skills
I think specific job descriptions will depend on the firm. Doc review at WilmerHale is more "discovery attorney" than "staff attorney."

Examples: --LinkRemoved-- --LinkRemoved-- --LinkRemoved-- --LinkRemoved--

Old article: http://www.nytimes.com/1987/03/11/busin ... -tier.html

Still, probably not a great place to build up experience.
Last edited by Bikeflip on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:32 pm

Have any of you had luck finding a position in-house?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:09 pm

Finally leaving the vale today. Jesus christ it's been a tough seven months of hundreds of applications and probably 50 interviews, but I can finally go to sleep tonight without wondering how I'm going to pay rent after I graduate.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Finally leaving the vale today. Jesus christ it's been a tough seven months of hundreds of applications and probably 50 interviews, but I can finally go to sleep tonight without wondering how I'm going to pay rent after I graduate.
Congrats anon. Happy for you bro.

Mind saying what it is and how you got it?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:21 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Finally leaving the vale today. Jesus christ it's been a tough seven months of hundreds of applications and probably 50 interviews, but I can finally go to sleep tonight without wondering how I'm going to pay rent after I graduate.

Government, and through applying to literally every single state and federal opening I could find. Actually got several interviews from USAJobs so apparently that's not entirely flame.

To be honest, this opening didn't even appear until later in the process when I was already pretty discouraged. But it's an amazing fit and a much, much better position than several dozen I interviewed for and was rejected from for the past few months. I would have accepted any of those and stopped looking, and now I'm glad I didn't get them. So for everyone else still looking, don't assume that hiring later = worse.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Government, and through applying to literally every single state and federal opening I could find. Actually got several interviews from USAJobs so apparently that's not entirely flame.

To be honest, this opening didn't even appear until later in the process when I was already pretty discouraged. But it's an amazing fit and a much, much better position than several dozen I interviewed for and was rejected from for the past few months. I would have accepted any of those and stopped looking, and now I'm glad I didn't get them. So for everyone else still looking, don't assume that hiring later = worse.
Federal or state? If state, I assume a state you are happy with? Regardless, that's rad. Govt. is hard.

dc2013

New

Post by dc2013 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:50 am

Congrats

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”