The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BobbyBooBoo

New

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by BobbyBooBoo » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:27 pm

2014 Grad here, failed the California bar exam once, passed the 2nd try. I'm ranked 20% at a top 30ish law school.

So far nothing in terms of jobs. Done about 4 interviews so far post-graduation. Starting to look into areas of law I don't like or enjoy. Such as.... personal injury.

My salary outlook is pretty bad, staring at like 35-45K a year, that's really little considering I got about 200K in debt. Any advice?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:35 pm

Having graduated in 2014, failing the July 2014 bar and then passing the February 2015 bar I literally did essentially no job searching.

I was in the vale for about ~2 months when I was waiting last fall but then I got so stressed from waiting, I was just like "fuck everything." All the while, even before law school, I knew I wanted to have my own firm which contributed to barely searching.

Anyway, I've actually decided to go solo (specifically family law - I love it!). I know it's risky, but financially I can afford it for about 6 months after I start up in September ... if I find myself up shit creek soon, I'll be back here!

So basically, I am removing myself from the vale and entering into a new terrifying space. I keep telling myself that Drake started from the bottom ...

Best of luck to you all!

:D

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:36 am

I've posted here before, but the New Mexico 5th Judicial DA is presently down 3 people. Why are we down 3? No one even applies. We've hired Cooley grads, Thomas Jefferson grads, NE school of law grads. If you're licensed in another state you can practice for a year before taking the NM bar and start immediately.

http://nmdas.com/districts/fifth/index.html

These jobs are obviously not ideal for very many people, but you get that irreplaceable 1st year of experience. It's not bar tending or slinging lattes, it's a real lawyer job that you can basically have by just applying.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:12 pm

andythefir wrote:I've posted here before, but the New Mexico 5th Judicial DA is presently down 3 people. Why are we down 3? No one even applies. We've hired Cooley grads, Thomas Jefferson grads, NE school of law grads. If you're licensed in another state you can practice for a year before taking the NM bar and start immediately.

http://nmdas.com/districts/fifth/index.html

These jobs are obviously not ideal for very many people, but you get that irreplaceable 1st year of experience. It's not bar tending or slinging lattes, it's a real lawyer job that you can basically have by just applying.
This is awesome. Thanks for adding this. There is nothing shameful about practicing for 2-5 years in NM and then moving to your preferred area. For many people it will be better than being unemployed for a couple years in a major city before finding something (or dropping out of the labor market altogether!)

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:54 pm

Is an 8 page writing sample (+1 page cover sheet) fine for a fellowship sponsorship app? Also submitting a cover letter, resume, and references.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NorCalLaw

Bronze

Post by NorCalLaw » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2015 grad here. Interviewed for my dream firm job on Monday and haven't heard anything yet. Starting to lose hope
No reason you can't send an email thanking them for the interview and expressing your interest/enthusiasm. You could also ask whether they have a particular timetable in mind for the hiring process.

Don't lose hope, either. One or two weeks for turnaround is not uncommon.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:45 pm

BlueLotus wrote:Is an 8 page writing sample (+1 page cover sheet) fine for a fellowship sponsorship app? Also submitting a cover letter, resume, and references.
Unless they state a specific length, anything under 10 pages is usually okay.

swimmer11

Bronze

Post by swimmer11 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:58 am

2015 Grade here as well. I have posted in this thread a few times here and there.

I am median give or take a few percentage points, law review, and national moot court team experience, t-25 LS for whatever it is worth. Feeling very down and about right now. I have had interviews at a few places throughout the year, but nothing seems to stick. I have no idea why.

How is everyone managing to study for the bar? Are you still applying for jobs or putting that on the back burner for right now?

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:57 pm

x
Last edited by TheFutureLawyer on Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gortega86

New

Post by gortega86 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:59 pm

EvelynS wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:2015 grad here. Interviewed for my dream firm job on Monday and haven't heard anything yet. Starting to lose hope
Congrats! At least, it is some movement. I hope you will get a job.

I applied to several firms that had job postings and heard nada. Start losing hope :(

Where at? If you dont mind me asking.

EvelynS

Bronze

Post by EvelynS » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:36 pm

gortega86 wrote:
EvelynS wrote:
Congrats! At least, it is some movement. I hope you will get a job.

I applied to several firms that had job postings and heard nada. Start losing hope :(

Where at? If you dont mind me asking.
A couple of of NY big law firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:25 pm

Interviewed with a small firm 2 weeks ago. Still no response. They said they anticipated making a decision within a couple weeks. Should I email the partner now or wait until week 3 or 4?

Firm seems generally busy so I can understand if their definition of what a couple weeks is is different than mine. I'm very interested in working there but don't want to be annoying.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:32 pm

More time. I've found that hiring, outside of biglaw callbacks after OCI, is like construction: it always takes twice as long as stated.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

swimmer11

Bronze

Post by swimmer11 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:26 pm

That feel when you interviewed with a position and then they post the same job ad

NorCalLaw

Bronze

Post by NorCalLaw » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:45 am

swimmer11 wrote:That feel when you interviewed with a position and then they post the same job ad
I know that one. Keep pushing, the more interviews you do the better you interview.

EvelynS

Bronze

Post by EvelynS » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:30 pm

I will gladly appreciate your suggestions on this. I applied for a position in NY, but sent it via my law school email, which is out of state. I want to send a follow-up email to see if there are any status updates. I want to add something about me actually being here in NY this summer. How should I mention that? "I am currently in NY studying for the bar and can be reached..."?

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:06 pm

Omg CONGRATS Pleasye and Rink!!!!!

So late I know but I've been slacking on my TLS-ing lately.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:51 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Omg CONGRATS Pleasye and Rink!!!!!

Lol <3

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:57 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Omg CONGRATS Pleasye and Rink!!!!!

Kinda slacking on your FB-ing, too. :)

diowad

New

Post by diowad » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:34 pm

diowad wrote:New to this thread, but since there's very little action on the other threads, I figured I'd ask here.

Anyone know anything or anyone who got a JD and then became a Trust Officer with a Bank? Currently studying for the July Bar. My law school credentials aren't landing me any biglaw jobs anytime soon, nor do I really care. Money isn't a huge deal to me. The dollar goes a lot further out here in the Midwest than it does on the coasts and my fiancé makes a good living. Never really found an area in law school that I absolutely loved, but enjoyed estates classes and some basic estate planning in Clinic.

So anyway, I put in an app for an entry-level trust officer job at a bank and recently received an interview. Still don't think I'll get it because I don't have quite enough experience, but if I get offered I need to be ready. The internal dilemma I face is I'll effectively be turning my back on private practice (and maybe someday, a lot of money, who knows) in exchange for more stability, regular hours, an area I know I'm at least interested in, but obviously a lower salary until several years down the road where I could advance within the bank itself. I have my name in at a few law firms but none have given me any indication of a sure job after the Bar.

So just looking for any general info about working in a Bank's trust department or anything like that. Thanks.
A follow up to this post. As of today, I am taking off the veil. Will start my new trust officer job in mid-August!

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:50 pm

diowad wrote:
diowad wrote:New to this thread, but since there's very little action on the other threads, I figured I'd ask here.

Anyone know anything or anyone who got a JD and then became a Trust Officer with a Bank? Currently studying for the July Bar. My law school credentials aren't landing me any biglaw jobs anytime soon, nor do I really care. Money isn't a huge deal to me. The dollar goes a lot further out here in the Midwest than it does on the coasts and my fiancé makes a good living. Never really found an area in law school that I absolutely loved, but enjoyed estates classes and some basic estate planning in Clinic.

So anyway, I put in an app for an entry-level trust officer job at a bank and recently received an interview. Still don't think I'll get it because I don't have quite enough experience, but if I get offered I need to be ready. The internal dilemma I face is I'll effectively be turning my back on private practice (and maybe someday, a lot of money, who knows) in exchange for more stability, regular hours, an area I know I'm at least interested in, but obviously a lower salary until several years down the road where I could advance within the bank itself. I have my name in at a few law firms but none have given me any indication of a sure job after the Bar.

So just looking for any general info about working in a Bank's trust department or anything like that. Thanks.
A follow up to this post. As of today, I am taking off the veil. Will start my new trust officer job in mid-August!
Congrats! Glad things worked out for you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:10 pm

Question: is 3.3 a decent GPA for applying to firms? Should I put it on my resume or leave it off?

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:39 pm

x
Last edited by TheFutureLawyer on Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ckelly85

New

Post by ckelly85 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:16 pm

I was told by two midlaw hiring partners that they assume the worst if you don't put a GPA on there. That seems to be the conventional wisdom around here as well.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Question: is 3.3 a decent GPA for applying to firms? Should I put it on my resume or leave it off?
GPA doesn't really mean anything since you don't know whether it's good or not without knowing the curve. Your rank is more important. And I have also heard comments about no rank/GPA on resume = assumption of terrible rank/GPA.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”