The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ilovesf

Diamond

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by ilovesf » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:18 pm

samcro_op wrote:Saw that they are pumping a bunch of money into EJW for immigration related fellowships, not sure when this starts but maybe something to look into for y'all.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/poli ... /10060725/
Ty. Hopefully ASAP.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it really devastating on your career to take paralegal work post-JD?
My job is basically paralegal work but I asked if I could use the title "Law Clerk" instead of "Paralegal" and they said sure. Looks better.

lbg0125

New

Post by lbg0125 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is it really devastating on your career to take paralegal work post-JD?
My job is basically paralegal work but I asked if I could use the title "Law Clerk" instead of "Paralegal" and they said sure. Looks better.
I think negotiating a title is a good idea in this type of situation. Law clerk or staff attorney is way better than other alternatives.

Congrats to Jess and good luck to the others with things in the works!

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:01 pm

i can't tell if dique's story is about needing to shit during an interview (to which I can relate) or an interview going shitty or an interview going well

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:26 pm

Kronk wrote:i can't tell if dique's story is about needing to shit during an interview (to which I can relate) or an interview going shitty or an interview going well
think dique's saying it started awkward and ended awesome.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pretzel_Logic

Platinum

Post by Pretzel_Logic » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:36 am

Kronk wrote:i can't tell if dique's story is about needing to shit during an interview (to which I can relate) or an interview going shitty or an interview going well
When I got to the second half I was genuinely getting concerned. hahaha.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:51 pm

I want to lend my support for everyone still in the Vale. Keep your head up and stay optimistic.

I recently found my way out of the Vale and received a big law offer at a V20. I applied through my school's OCS website and, by the grace of God, was able to seal the deal.

I wish you all luck in the job search and Bar studying.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:24 pm

Thought I'd give this tid bit to keep people's hopes up. I know it's not much but...

My office (gov't) just unexpectedly had two career people leave with very short notice. We hired two previous interns from last fall who everyone really, really liked. Nice surprise to get during bar study.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Jessuf wrote:Had an interview yesterday that seemed to go pretty well. Was told I would hear within the next few days because they want to make a decision fast, so fingers crossed I finally get some good news.
Fingers crossed for you. Also waiting on two places to let me know.
Anon from here. Judge called me today to tell me I didn't get the clerkship. Graduating jobless sucks. Back to bar study I suppose. Sorry for raining on the happy parade.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:45 pm

Hahaha HR rejected me six minutes after I hit submit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:55 pm

Hey guys I could use some input on whether I am being crazy or not. I graduated from a t-25 in the top half of the class, latin honors, really nothing special. I am jobless and have been hustling since August trying to find a job. I had a couple clerkship interviews that lead to dings and some other interviews here and there that lead to dings. I have two Fed interviews coming up. Today I got an offer in NYC for a school sponsored fellowship with an organization I would love to work for. However, I was told when I interviewed that there is about a 0% chance of getting a job offer at the end of it and my school is only giving me about 24k for the year. I lived in NYC for a while before law school, but I have no one that could give me a place to live so I would have a rent a place. I also have 115k in loans. I feel crazy for considering turning down a offer, but I don't know how I could live in NYC on 24k. Would you guys take this offer? Am I crazy?

Yobot

New

Post by Yobot » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys I could use some input on whether I am being crazy or not. I graduated from a t-25 in the top half of the class, latin honors, really nothing special. I am jobless and have been hustling since August trying to find a job. I had a couple clerkship interviews that lead to dings and some other interviews here and there that lead to dings. I have two Fed interviews coming up. Today I got an offer in NYC for a school sponsored fellowship with an organization I would love to work for. However, I was told when I interviewed that there is about a 0% chance of getting a job offer at the end of it and my school is only giving me about 24k for the year. I lived in NYC for a while before law school, but I have no one that could give me a place to live so I would have a rent a place. I also have 115k in loans. I feel crazy for considering turning down a offer, but I don't know how I could live in NYC on 24k. Would you guys take this offer? Am I crazy?
Depends. What are the two fed agencies you'll be interviewing with? Need more context.

jess

Post by jess » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:54 pm

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:08 am

Bikeflip wrote:Hahaha HR rejected me six minutes after I hit submit.
:lol: Sorry bro.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:45 pm

I had to drop a deuce while wearing a suit in a Panera in Washington DC before an interview two weeks ago, and all I could think at the time was "my god..the shit we do for our careers :lol: "

hopefully, one day we can all look back at these times and laugh

legalese_retard

Bronze

Post by legalese_retard » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:54 pm

Scored an interview....albeit it is for a part-time barrista position at Starbucks, but it's an interview nonetheless. My thought is that I start working part-time now so that when I become officially unemployed in August, I can hopefully transition into a full-time position.

My only concern is convincing them that I am not a flight-risk. My contact at the store said they want someone that will be around for at least a year. I have over 200 rejection letters and emails from when I started applying in January and was thinking about bringing them as exhibits 1 thru 200. There are also tons of news articles about the plight of new lawyers that I can also reference.

Would this strategy be considered overkill?

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:26 pm

legalese_retard wrote:Scored an interview....albeit it is for a part-time barrista position at Starbucks, but it's an interview nonetheless. My thought is that I start working part-time now so that when I become officially unemployed in August, I can hopefully transition into a full-time position.

My only concern is convincing them that I am not a flight-risk. My contact at the store said they want someone that will be around for at least a year. I have over 200 rejection letters and emails from when I started applying in January and was thinking about bringing them as exhibits 1 thru 200. There are also tons of news articles about the plight of new lawyers that I can also reference.

Would this strategy be considered overkill?
No. Starbucks knows that you are a flight risk, but that is taken into account. They know that their baristas will not be there for life. Bringing in exhibits will just make it awkward.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:38 pm

Don't bring exhibits.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:12 pm

Jessuf wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys I could use some input on whether I am being crazy or not. I graduated from a t-25 in the top half of the class, latin honors, really nothing special. I am jobless and have been hustling since August trying to find a job. I had a couple clerkship interviews that lead to dings and some other interviews here and there that lead to dings. I have two Fed interviews coming up. Today I got an offer in NYC for a school sponsored fellowship with an organization I would love to work for. However, I was told when I interviewed that there is about a 0% chance of getting a job offer at the end of it and my school is only giving me about 24k for the year. I lived in NYC for a while before law school, but I have no one that could give me a place to live so I would have a rent a place. I also have 115k in loans. I feel crazy for considering turning down a offer, but I don't know how I could live in NYC on 24k. Would you guys take this offer? Am I crazy?
Can you get a second job as a server or bartender? Or can you live in NYC for like $1500/month total?[/quote][/quote]
I could probably get a second job after I get my feet wet, but I'm going to be having the same responsibilies as the other attorneys who are working 60ish hours a week. Until I know my typical schedule I would not be positive. With rent, subway, utilities, food, loans, and health insurance I cannot figure out how I could live on 2k a month. I have been trying to crunch the numbers and research all weekend. I feel like it could be a mistake turning it down but I don't know what I would do if I'm living in NYC without enough money to live and an ever growing debt.

TexasNexis

New

Post by TexasNexis » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:44 am

Does anyone have advice for a rising 3L that only did average first year, didn't land a 2L summer firm job, but knocked it out of the park grade-wise and extracurricular-wise during 2L? I had a 3.38 1L, but a 3.96 2L, and am now one class shy of the top 25% at UT Law. I was disappointed to see that maybe 3 big firms out of 50+ BigLaw firms coming to campus OCI are willing to interview 3Ls.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I want to lend my support for everyone still in the Vale. Keep your head up and stay optimistic.

I recently found my way out of the Vale and received a big law offer at a V20. I applied through my school's OCS website and, by the grace of God, was able to seal the deal.

I wish you all luck in the job search and Bar studying.
What city was this in just wondering?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:25 pm

I'm curious where everyone is at in terms of qualifications. I've sent out about 25-30 corporate related applications this spring and don't even get a response on 90% of them. But I'm 50% gpa at a T6, had a biglaw SA. Is this really that unqualified?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:04 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:11 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm curious where everyone is at in terms of qualifications. I've sent out about 25-30 corporate related applications this spring and don't even get a response on 90% of them. But I'm 50% gpa at a T6, had a biglaw SA. Is this really that unqualified?
You're not unqualified but sending cold apps is just probably the hardest way to get a legal job as a 3L. You're basically hoping that the company or firm or whatever wants to hire at all, that if they want to hire they want to hire someone at the time you mail, that they want someone entry level, and that they want someone who can do what your resume says you have experience doing

Seldom do all those things align
Let me clarify that all of those applications have been for posted openings, did the mass mailing thing last fall and it was about 0/175. I even had a screening and callback interview with a firm and they still won't give me a yes/no offer a month and a half later.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:34 pm

That's about par for the course, anon. Just keep applying and don't stress drink yourself to death.

As for qualifications, I don't think you can extrapolate as much as you want to: I'm c/o 2013 and still in the Vale post 1,000+ cover letters. I was median at a strong regional with interesting clinical experiences. Many of my classmates were in the Vale with magna cum laude on their resume. Others had honors and law review or honors and great clinical experiences. A few buddies were T14 and never left the Vale after a few years of trying.

Also bros, might have an interview with a solo. I'm not excited about it b/c there's limited information about this solo. No website. No linkedin. No professional volunteering experience. Only some bad AVVO reviews. He was also very specific about when I can interview, and his time is when I have a dr's appt I had to book months in advance.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”