The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue May 12, 2015 8:57 pm

The game is flawed wrote:Guess it's time to join the vale.
T14, around top 40%, struck out, and I'll be netting the same amount this summer as at least 70%-80% of my classmates will make in a week. Strange feeling.
But on the bright side, 3L has to be an improvement.
Can one be in the Vale before 2L summer has even started?

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Tue May 12, 2015 10:24 pm

I don't think so? You could potentially get something before 3L officially starts. But what do I know...

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Wed May 13, 2015 2:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm in the process of applying for fellowship sponsors. Once I lock down a sponsor, should I disclose that I expect a delay in getting barred due to C&F? (disciplined in law school for bipolar disorder)
This doesn't make much sense as written. What did you actually do/get accused of doing? Just being bipolar doesn't get you disciplined.

seizmaar

Silver

Post by seizmaar » Wed May 13, 2015 2:44 pm

i think its more likely he/she did something actually worthy of being punished but claims that the bipolar caused the behavior.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Wed May 13, 2015 3:33 pm

I think we're being trolled and we're supposed to now ask for the story. But I've basically played right into his hands by typing this. Though I can avoid all of that by simply deleting this text, or just hitting the back button. Yet I'm about to hit the submit button. What is wrong with me?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Wed May 13, 2015 9:17 pm

worldtraveler wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm in the process of applying for fellowship sponsors. Once I lock down a sponsor, should I disclose that I expect a delay in getting barred due to C&F? (disciplined in law school for bipolar disorder)
This doesn't make much sense as written. What did you actually do/get accused of doing? Just being bipolar doesn't get you disciplined.
To clarify: If this is the poster I suspect it is, it was indeed behavior caused by the bipolar disorder and not the disorder itself that was cause for the discipline.

jess

Post by jess » Wed May 13, 2015 10:29 pm

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Wed May 13, 2015 10:31 pm

Jessuf wrote:is this honeysuckle again
:D

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Fri May 15, 2015 6:54 pm

I don't get why certain people bother posting anon.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Post by Mr. Archer » Sun May 17, 2015 9:13 pm

Any advice for a "brief interview" at a firm? This is for a contract associate position, not a full-time associate. So, I'm not sure if/how the interview process will differ from one for a full-time position.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 17, 2015 11:54 pm

Just wish to give some hope.

I had a modern miracle last Friday. I had found a job (prestigious in some ways) and was hired in February. However, while I accepted it, I was not sure if I could actually take it. I had some C&F issues in the past. To be honest, they were due to the economy, cancer, and other issues beyond my control and my approval had not gone through. I had until June 1 to get this cleared up and I never thought it would in time.

Actually, I had hired an attorney to help me. He had told me in March that there was little chance of me being approved in time. Then, last Thursday there was no chance. For the past few months, I had some real dark thoughts. Kept thinking how hope is a dangerous and spiteful thing. I had lost everything in the recession and it felt like it was happening all over again. This coming from someone with a wife, three kids (including one autistic), and who had become essentially penniless. To be honest, I gave up on my legal career on Thursday. I had begun calling old contacts to get me a job in my previous field of employment (that field was just coming back but had died during the recession). I was ready to stock shelves at Walmart.

While my kids were school, my wife and I went to the movies. Actually went to see Mad Max because I figured there was enough anger in that movie to match mine. During the first few minutes of the movie, my phone vibrated and I figured it was a call. I didn't want to be a dick in the theater and check my phone. Also, I thought it was a family member saying how much this sucks and how they didn't understand it. So the movie ended and I checked my phone. I got an email from my attorney saying "You're In!! You're In!!!". I started crying right in the middle of the theater, hugging my wife who saw it and started to too. People thought I must have been some nut job crying about the ending of Mad Max (good but one of the craziest movies I have ever seen).

I got in the car and spoke to my attorney. He said he couldn't believe it. He had no idea what happened. He was just shocked and he is well connected as he once chaired the C&F committee. I spent the rest of the day celebrating with family and friends. First time I had slept in months. To be honest I still don't believe it and am afraid they called the wrong person. I am trying to get to the courthouse as soon as I can.

To those out there in despair, I understand completely. I have never been more down in my life I think on Thursday. Having no control of your life is a horrible feeling. Maybe hope and faith are good things. I have no clue. But in the end, my hope was rewarded. Maybe I gambled on mercy and won. Maybe all of the prayers everyone has been saying helped as well. Again, I don't know why or how I was approved, but I was and I don't really care too much.

So why am I writing this. Because I know what it feels like to be less than a person. I still check this website everyday, 12 months after graduation because I wanted to be an attorney. On Thursday, it never felt so far away as it did then. If I can help anyone I will. I don't think I can get you a job just yet. If you just want to vent, cry, or scream at the world, I am here. PM if you wish. But never give up hope. One day, I hope you will succeed like I did.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Mon May 18, 2015 2:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just wish to give some hope.

I had a modern miracle last Friday. I had found a job (prestigious in some ways) and was hired in February. However, while I accepted it, I was not sure if I could actually take it. I had some C&F issues in the past. To be honest, they were due to the economy, cancer, and other issues beyond my control and my approval had not gone through. I had until June 1 to get this cleared up and I never thought it would in time.

Actually, I had hired an attorney to help me. He had told me in March that there was little chance of me being approved in time. Then, last Thursday there was no chance. For the past few months, I had some real dark thoughts. Kept thinking how hope is a dangerous and spiteful thing. I had lost everything in the recession and it felt like it was happening all over again. This coming from someone with a wife, three kids (including one autistic), and who had become essentially penniless. To be honest, I gave up on my legal career on Thursday. I had begun calling old contacts to get me a job in my previous field of employment (that field was just coming back but had died during the recession). I was ready to stock shelves at Walmart.

While my kids were school, my wife and I went to the movies. Actually went to see Mad Max because I figured there was enough anger in that movie to match mine. During the first few minutes of the movie, my phone vibrated and I figured it was a call. I didn't want to be a dick in the theater and check my phone. Also, I thought it was a family member saying how much this sucks and how they didn't understand it. So the movie ended and I checked my phone. I got an email from my attorney saying "You're In!! You're In!!!". I started crying right in the middle of the theater, hugging my wife who saw it and started to too. People thought I must have been some nut job crying about the ending of Mad Max (good but one of the craziest movies I have ever seen).

I got in the car and spoke to my attorney. He said he couldn't believe it. He had no idea what happened. He was just shocked and he is well connected as he once chaired the C&F committee. I spent the rest of the day celebrating with family and friends. First time I had slept in months. To be honest I still don't believe it and am afraid they called the wrong person. I am trying to get to the courthouse as soon as I can.

To those out there in despair, I understand completely. I have never been more down in my life I think on Thursday. Having no control of your life is a horrible feeling. Maybe hope and faith are good things. I have no clue. But in the end, my hope was rewarded. Maybe I gambled on mercy and won. Maybe all of the prayers everyone has been saying helped as well. Again, I don't know why or how I was approved, but I was and I don't really care too much.

So why am I writing this. Because I know what it feels like to be less than a person. I still check this website everyday, 12 months after graduation because I wanted to be an attorney. On Thursday, it never felt so far away as it did then. If I can help anyone I will. I don't think I can get you a job just yet. If you just want to vent, cry, or scream at the world, I am here. PM if you wish. But never give up hope. One day, I hope you will succeed like I did.
Congratulations man. I thought I had it bad. But it sounds like you had it way worse until very recently.

I graduated today. My entire family kept saying it was a big accomplishment. I didn't have the heart to tell them that was bullshit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 18, 2015 12:16 pm

Interviewed for a federal clerkship just over 3 weeks ago. I haven't heard anything yet one way or the other. When is follow-up appropriate? Do some judges just never let you know, and you're left to eventually assume you didn't get it?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Mon May 18, 2015 1:17 pm

3|ink wrote: I graduated today. My entire family kept saying it was a big accomplishment. I didn't have the heart to tell them that was bullshit.
Don't sell yourself short--graduating from law school IS a big accomplishment! It's something we should all be proud of, job or not.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 18, 2015 11:08 pm

Median T6 3L with a cold offer. No bites in over seven months of applications/mass mailings. Sucks, man.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 19, 2015 12:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:3L in the midst of finals. Managed to score an interview at my dream firm (think small-mid-sized boutique type firm) thanks in part to the recommendation of a judge I externed for. Interview went well and they called me back to "meet the rest of the partners" the following week, at 4pm on a Friday.

I also talked to one of the partners on the phone right after the first interview and he had positive things to say, told me there were actually two openings and asked which I would be more interested in.

What should I expect out of this? I have no idea if they're treating this as a "callback" style interview or what; the first one was already with 5 of the firm's partners.

I NEED to get this job.

Anonymous because I'm giving out a lot of details in this post.
Same anon here, still waiting to hear back from these folks (interview went well, but they operate on a consensus system so they have to hold a meeting with all the partners to make the final decision). Almost all the partners seemed to love me, but I think one of them may be questionable. I should hear back any day now. Going nuts waiting. This is definitely my last chance at graduating with a job; nothing else even on the horizon at this point.
Same anon, I've talked to the partner again but still no news. They have yet to hold the meeting, apparently. They warned me that this might drag on, but every day increases the doubt and probably reduces the likelihood of getting the position. I've slid from 95% certain to about 50-50 at this point.

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Tue May 19, 2015 12:50 am

Well fuck, got the denial from my dream job (and my best shot of employment). What a graduation present!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Tue May 19, 2015 11:10 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:Well fuck, got the denial from my dream job (and my best shot of employment). What a graduation present!
That sucks. Sorry bro.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue May 19, 2015 11:12 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:Well fuck, got the denial from my dream job (and my best shot of employment). What a graduation present!
Sorry to hear that, brother. Where do you go from here?

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Tue May 19, 2015 11:13 am

I'm really sorry to hear that shredder and above anon :(

I have semi-good news. I had a phone screener yesterday (day after grad)! It gave me hope that this whole thing about a lot of people getting jobs during bar study/after the bar is true.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue May 19, 2015 11:23 am

Pleasye wrote:I'm really sorry to hear that shredder and above anon :(

I have semi-good news. I had a phone screener yesterday (day after grad)! It gave me hope that this whole thing about a lot of people getting jobs during bar study/after the bar is true.
If it makes you feel better, you'll get 3x the interviews you are currently getting once you've taken the bar and are just awaiting results, and 10x the interviews you are currently getting once you've passed.

A lot of it depends on the type of job you are applying for, too. When I didn't have something lined up and I was doing bar study, I basically said "fuck it" and started applying to anything and everything. Places that have lots of turnover, big offices, and entry-level positions like DA offices and PD offices are some of the only places I would find, aside from corporate law firms, that really even consider people pre-passage of the bar. I think the mid-size firms and smaller PI orgs just can't take the risk.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Tue May 19, 2015 11:44 am

Kronk wrote: If it makes you feel better, you'll get 3x the interviews you are currently getting once you've taken the bar and are just awaiting results, and 10x the interviews you are currently getting once you've passed.

A lot of it depends on the type of job you are applying for, too. When I didn't have something lined up and I was doing bar study, I basically said "fuck it" and started applying to anything and everything. Places that have lots of turnover, big offices, and entry-level positions like DA offices and PD offices are some of the only places I would find, aside from corporate law firms, that really even consider people pre-passage of the bar. I think the mid-size firms and smaller PI orgs just can't take the risk.
True facts. I had a buddy strike out consistently for over a year. Right after he passed the bar, he was able to lock something down at a mid-sized firm.

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Tue May 19, 2015 12:53 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Sorry to hear that, brother. Where do you go from here?
Thanks for the condolences you guys!

I'm unfortunately looking to get into a niche market (trademark/copyrights) and there is virtually no market for it where I live (hence why the one opening that I just got the denial for would have been so amazing). My wife and I were wanting to stay at all costs since we live in the state we have lived our entire lives, where she has an amazing job, and where all of our family is (and, if I do say so myself, it is a wonderful place to live). But because of the limited market here, my options are as follows:

1. Go into a different field of law and stay in the area
2. Go back to school and get a science degree to be able to increase my chances at getting an IP job here
3. Try to find a job in my desired field out of state

None of the above are ideal, but thankfully my wife understands my passion for my desired field of law and said she would be willing to move wherever I can get a job. So it looks like that's what I'm doing--applying anywhere and everywhere.

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Tue May 19, 2015 12:54 pm

Thanks and good luck! I always tend to view any movement whatsoever as a sign that you have something employers are interested in--I'd definitely take the screener as a very good sign!

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Tue May 19, 2015 12:56 pm

Kronk wrote:

If it makes you feel better, you'll get 3x the interviews you are currently getting once you've taken the bar and are just awaiting results, and 10x the interviews you are currently getting once you've passed.
I imagine this is only true for passing the bar in the state where the job is located? In other words, you would get a lot more application movement for jobs in, say, Chicago after you passed the Illinois bar but passing the Illinois bar wouldn't increase activity for applications in, say, Boston?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”