The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
baal hadad

Gold

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by baal hadad » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:28 pm

whitecollar23 wrote:How did you go about applying for gov't jobs? And yeah, I wanna try to get some feedback from the person who interviewed me, even though it was only a screener. Nothing really to lose and plenty to gain, since I know my interview skills are below average. It's quite unfortunate.
Govt jobs usually advertise so I applied to the resume drops that were of interest to me (read: the govt jobs where I could sell myself through previous internships and classes). If you're interested in an office you can probs call and see if they're taking resumes. Some hr person will be happy to help I'm sure. Also keep an eye on tls; lots of good govt Info

Doesn't hurt to ask. If anything good interview skills are more crucial at this time

whitecollar23

Bronze

Post by whitecollar23 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:07 am

baal hadad wrote:
whitecollar23 wrote:How did you go about applying for gov't jobs? And yeah, I wanna try to get some feedback from the person who interviewed me, even though it was only a screener. Nothing really to lose and plenty to gain, since I know my interview skills are below average. It's quite unfortunate.
Govt jobs usually advertise so I applied to the resume drops that were of interest to me (read: the govt jobs where I could sell myself through previous internships and classes). If you're interested in an office you can probs call and see if they're taking resumes. Some hr person will be happy to help I'm sure. Also keep an eye on tls; lots of good govt Info

Doesn't hurt to ask. If anything good interview skills are more crucial at this time
Where do you find these resume drops and stuff on here? I haven't seen anything that seemed like a full-time gov't thing, and I'm not sure where to look here.

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:58 am

whitecollar23 wrote:
baal hadad wrote:

Where do you find these resume drops and stuff on here? I haven't seen anything that seemed like a full-time gov't thing, and I'm not sure where to look here.
Usually symplicity, tls, and just asking around

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:16 am

Rlabo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:3L here who is about to graduate. So I just received a "firm offer" from my 2L summer firm (also worked there a little 3L year). They said I deserved a full time position based on my work product/work ethic but they cannot give me an offer right now because of economic reasons. They also said if they need an attorney the offer will go to me but encouraged me to look elsewhere for the time being. Well, this is not fun. No other prospects going into graduation and bar prep....

This is a smallish IP/patent boutique BTW. I have a BSEE and am patent barred, but only top 30% at a TTTT.
Look around, I always see opportunities for entry level patent agents. You'll land on your feet.
I think I'm going to focus on patent agent jobs until I become licensed, although I don't know if that's the best stragety.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:02 pm

Checking in. 2014 grad who put off the Vale for 2 years with a clerkship. Been looking since January with no dice. About eight interviews and nothing's landed. Feeling pretty down, if anyone has advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Checking in. 2014 grad who put off the Vale for 2 years with a clerkship. Been looking since January with no dice. About eight interviews and nothing's landed. Feeling pretty down, if anyone has advice.
Article 3 clerkship?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:06 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Checking in. 2014 grad who put off the Vale for 2 years with a clerkship. Been looking since January with no dice. About eight interviews and nothing's landed. Feeling pretty down, if anyone has advice.
Article 3 clerkship?
Article I

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
Article 3 clerkship?
Article I
Mag? Bankruptcy? Something else?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:02 pm

baal hadad wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
Article 3 clerkship?
Article I
Magistrate

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
baal hadad wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
Article 3 clerkship?
Article I
Magistrate
Advice is keep applying. Mag is applicable to everything civil. Where have you been interviewing and what are you saying in the interviews? 8 is a lot of interviews you must look pretty solid on paper

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:09 pm

baal hadad wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
baal hadad wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
Article 3 clerkship?
Article I
Magistrate
Advice is keep applying. Mag is applicable to everything civil. Where have you been interviewing and what are you saying in the interviews? 8 is a lot of interviews you must look pretty solid on paper
Yeah that's why I'm frustrated that nothing's stuck so far...I have an appointment with my career services tomorrow, might ask for a mock interview to see if it's something I'm doing in the interview. I've mostly interviewed at small litigation boutiques; the exception is one larger firm and one federal government job.

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
baal hadad wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
baal hadad wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
Article 3 clerkship?
Article I
Magistrate
Yeah that's why I'm frustrated that nothing's stuck so far...I have an appointment with my career services tomorrow, might ask for a mock interview to see if it's something I'm doing in the interview. I've mostly interviewed at small litigation boutiques; the exception is one larger firm and one federal government job.
Mock interview wouldn't be a bad idea

I think some of it may just be a product of interviewing at smaller firms that may not have the need right now or who are especially selective about hiring

But you can take heart in the fact your credentials are good

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:26 am

3L here. if a USA Job position listed 12 months GSA 11 equivalent prior experience as a requirement, do they really mean it?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:3L here. if a USA Job position listed 12 months GSA 11 equivalent prior experience as a requirement, do they really mean it?
Who cares? Apply anyway

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:45 am

Does anyone have a form cover letter or e-mail body for applying to firms? Should I explain when I'm sitting for the bar, and my interest in clerking pending results?

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:57 am

deleted
Last edited by Easy-E on Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:11 pm

baal hadad wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:3L here. if a USA Job position listed 12 months GSA 11 equivalent prior experience as a requirement, do they really mean it?
Who cares? Apply anyway
I'll apply, but the real question is whether I put in an ask for this position with my contact.

Also, advice on how many asks with a partiuclarly well connected person is, when they're very willing in the past?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
baal hadad wrote:
Who cares? Apply anyway
I'll apply, but the real question is whether I put in an ask for this position with my contact.

Also, advice on how many asks with a partiuclarly well connected person is, when they're very willing in the past?
Yes, they do really mean it.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:35 pm

Just because I remember how awful it was to spend time on apps:

If private sector: you should apply unless they want over four years of experience and you don't have that. You could still apply though if your heart so desires.

You still could apply, but would definitely be wasting your time at the five years of experience when you have a year or none.

You should also apply even if you're not licensed yet and the posting requires a license.

If government in general: If they ask you to have a license prior to applying and you don't have one, don't apply.

If federal government: if they ask you to have a specific time in grade (12 months at the GS-11 or equivalent) and you don't have that, don't apply.

Good luck!

TooManyLoans

New

Post by TooManyLoans » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
baal hadad wrote:
Who cares? Apply anyway

When you apply via USAJobs it will send you to a questionnaire where it will ask you if you have the experience. If you are truthful and click No then you won't be referred. If you lie and click yes, your resume won't match up and you won't be referred.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:09 am

Feeling lost right now. I had a job and a life I really enjoyed but lost my job due to medical reasons (former JAG and we can be discharged for medical things a civilian would never lose a job over). My disability is service-connected, so I have veterans' preference for federal government positions, but I don't know how much that helps since most attorney positions only consider it a "positive factor" and don't give a straight 10 points.

Been applying to only fed gov jobs since I don't know about returning to the state where I am licensed. Could go back but I might be better off living in a state closer to family due to my health issues. It's probably not a good idea to apply only to fed gov jobs since it is competitive and also the process is so slow, but I don't know where else I should apply.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:Feeling lost right now. I had a job and a life I really enjoyed but lost my job due to medical reasons (former JAG and we can be discharged for medical things a civilian would never lose a job over). My disability is service-connected, so I have veterans' preference for federal government positions, but I don't know how much that helps since most attorney positions only consider it a "positive factor" and don't give a straight 10 points.

Been applying to only fed gov jobs since I don't know about returning to the state where I am licensed. Could go back but I might be better off living in a state closer to family due to my health issues. It's probably not a good idea to apply only to fed gov jobs since it is competitive and also the process is so slow, but I don't know where else I should apply.
I'm so very sorry to hear that. I think someone may have given you misinformation. You will get preference--this is statutory, not something just some agencies can follow.

Keep applying and if possible, consider getting licensed in a more desirable state.

If you need to vent, feel free to PM me. Good luck!

TooManyLoans

New

Post by TooManyLoans » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:03 pm

zot1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Feeling lost right now. I had a job and a life I really enjoyed but lost my job due to medical reasons (former JAG and we can be discharged for medical things a civilian would never lose a job over). My disability is service-connected, so I have veterans' preference for federal government positions, but I don't know how much that helps since most attorney positions only consider it a "positive factor" and don't give a straight 10 points.

I'm so very sorry to hear that. I think someone may have given you misinformation. You will get preference--this is statutory, not something just some agencies can follow.

Keep applying and if possible, consider getting licensed in a more desirable state.

Agencies have to follow it to the extent feasible when hiring attorneys. Attorneys are excepted service so there aren't formal requirements like competitive service. In essence vet preference is just a positive factor for attorney hiring.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:14 pm

TooManyLoans wrote:
zot1 wrote:

Agencies have to follow it to the extent feasible when hiring attorneys. Attorneys are excepted service so there aren't formal requirements like competitive service. In essence vet preference is just a positive factor for attorney hiring.
https://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:25 pm

zot1 wrote:
TooManyLoans wrote:
zot1 wrote:

https://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/
Anon from above. Thanks for your posts. Excepted service positions have to follow the point system unless exempt. Attorney positions are specifically exempt from having to use the point system and are only required to view vet preference as a positive factor. https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversig ... vet-guide/

Anyhow, I will just keep applying, and hopefully, something will stick.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”