The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BarbellDreams

Gold

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by BarbellDreams » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:23 pm

bjsesq wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just got rejected from part time work at GNC. Jesus fucking christ, my life sucks so fucking much.
You're overqualified for basically any type of non college education required work right now so I very much doubt you'll find part time work at a store unless the manager is seriously willing to overlook it.If I am a manager at Whole Foods and have no idea about the legal job market getting your resume is gonna go something like this: Hmm, yeah I could hire this guy but...oh, well, JD? What? Why the hell does a lawyer wanna work at whole foods? Oh this kid just graduated? Probably means he's gonna quit as soon as bar results come out and go work for a six figure firm, he is just looking for something to kill time until then, I don't need anyone like that.

The sad thing is, as a recent grad there is really no way to spin it. You can't use the classic "I decided law wasn't for me" cause you just graduated and its unlikely that a manager will believe that without actually ever working as an attorney you decided it wasn't for you. The sadder thing is, the managers are 100% right in that we would bail immediately if a legal job was presented to us. If/when that happens is anyone's guess.

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:53 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:

I just got rejected from part time work at GNC. Jesus fucking christ, my life sucks so fucking much.
You're overqualified for basically any type of non college education required work right now so I very much doubt you'll find part time work at a store unless the manager is seriously willing to overlook it.If I am a manager at Whole Foods and have no idea about the legal job market getting your resume is gonna go something like this: Hmm, yeah I could hire this guy but...oh, well, JD? What? Why the hell does a lawyer wanna work at whole foods? Oh this kid just graduated? Probably means he's gonna quit as soon as bar results come out and go work for a six figure firm, he is just looking for something to kill time until then, I don't need anyone like that.

The sad thing is, as a recent grad there is really no way to spin it. You can't use the classic "I decided law wasn't for me" cause you just graduated and its unlikely that a manager will believe that without actually ever working as an attorney you decided it wasn't for you. The sadder thing is, the managers are 100% right in that we would bail immediately if a legal job was presented to us. If/when that happens is anyone's guess.
Just don't put the J.D. on the resume.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:02 pm

i have an offer to do very low paid clerking work at a firm where i live, in the field i want to practice. i did not take the bar here and did not plan to spend ten minutes past graduation in this city/state, but it's the only offer i've gotten from anyone and the job has benefits. i'm unsure how to proceed... my gut is telling me that it's better to have some experience at a paid legal job in my field, even if it's in a different state, but my school is suggesting i pass on the offer and relocate now, to look for a job in the state where i hope to be barred. i have always followed their advice and have never gotten a paid offer to do legal work before, all my past work experience is pi or government. they're full of it, right? i should stay here and work?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i have an offer to do very low paid clerking work at a firm where i live, in the field i want to practice. i did not take the bar here and did not plan to spend ten minutes past graduation in this city/state, but it's the only offer i've gotten from anyone and the job has benefits. i'm unsure how to proceed... my gut is telling me that it's better to have some experience at a paid legal job in my field, even if it's in a different state, but my school is suggesting i pass on the offer and relocate now, to look for a job in the state where i hope to be barred. i have always followed their advice and have never gotten a paid offer to do legal work before, all my past work experience is pi or government. they're full of it, right? i should stay here and work?
Tough to say w out knowing more about your individual situation. Like what experience you have, where home is located, where target market is, etc.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i have an offer to do very low paid clerking work at a firm where i live, in the field i want to practice. i did not take the bar here and did not plan to spend ten minutes past graduation in this city/state, but it's the only offer i've gotten from anyone and the job has benefits. i'm unsure how to proceed... my gut is telling me that it's better to have some experience at a paid legal job in my field, even if it's in a different state, but my school is suggesting i pass on the offer and relocate now, to look for a job in the state where i hope to be barred. i have always followed their advice and have never gotten a paid offer to do legal work before, all my past work experience is pi or government. they're full of it, right? i should stay here and work?
What results do you have from the place you want to live? I think your career services are saying that if you can't see yourself living in a place long term, then you should leave and get established where you want to live. Is this practice state law specific?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:31 pm

Try a big city temp agency. It's somewhat shitty work, but this tends to get you stuff that is, obviously, temporary, so they don't care if you're overqualified as long as you can commit for whatever the term is.

My advice would be to apply at places in the middle of big cities and not at random suburban outpost temp agencies, because the downtown-area temp agencies tend to feed into decent office work rather than shitty factory shifts and such.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:43 pm

rad lulz wrote: Tough to say w out knowing more about your individual situation. Like what experience you have, where home is located, where target market is, etc.
Target market is California and I currently live on the other side of the country. Practice is environmental law, and I have only unpaid/PI experience in that field. I went to a T6 school and struck out at OCI, twice. I've applied to a thousand firms and government jobs over the past three years and just feel silly passing up one now after getting rejected from everything. I know I need to move to California and look for jobs there at some point, but I am questioning whether my odds of finding work would really be that much better now, or in a year when I have some paid work experience. :(

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:37 pm

Anyone know what Western NoDak is REALLY like? There are always postings for need of attorneys (even if mainly "shitlaw") out there. I understand its pretty much a boom-town with lots of problems, but does anyone know first hand how things are going in the West-of-Bismarck region?

All I know is that in 1 year this 1 firm has repoasted the same position 3 times... so the attrition rate is high.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:38 pm

rad lulz wrote:Yo TTH I am guessing you have a real good shot at this jerb due to your prvs union experience?

If the solo is really good/respected I'd try to stall

If like above poaster says it's just general experience, I'd probably say thanks but no thanks
This. Also, try and goose the solo for more money at least.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bubbles 4 Life

Gold

Post by Bubbles 4 Life » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:26 pm

Last edited by Bubbles 4 Life on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:51 pm

Gorki wrote:Anyone know what Western NoDak is REALLY like? There are always postings for need of attorneys (even if mainly "shitlaw") out there. I understand its pretty much a boom-town with lots of problems, but does anyone know first hand how things are going in the West-of-Bismarck region?

All I know is that in 1 year this 1 firm has repoasted the same position 3 times... so the attrition rate is high.
Idk details about the job market but I can say that when I drove across the country at age 19, I crossed the Montana/North Dakota border right around sunset, and Western North Dakota was honestly one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen.

lukertin

Silver

Post by lukertin » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:54 pm

Gorki wrote:All I know is that in 1 year this 1 firm has repoasted the same position 3 times... so the attrition rate is high.
otoh...Maybe their workload tripled

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:46 pm

So you know how I was laid off after the bar because my 2L summer firm just didn't have the work for me?

I was talking to a friend of mine at the firm who works there in a non-law capacity, and he told me a 4th year associate just quit to go do something else. I've heard nothing from the firm since they let me go. The associate was in employment litigation, and I worked extensively in lit there over the course of fifteen months. My friend thinks they're going to try to find a lateral to replace her.

I want to fucking kill someone.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:53 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:58 pm

TTH wrote:So you know how I was laid off after the bar because my 2L summer firm just didn't have the work for me?

I was talking to a friend of mine at the firm who works there in a non-law capacity, and he told me a 4th year associate just quit to go do something else. I've heard nothing from the firm since they let me go. The associate was in employment litigation, and I worked extensively in lit there over the course of fifteen months. My friend thinks they're going to try to find a lateral to replace her.

Maybe you can hit up a contact and see what's what? Maybe they'll reconsider in light of new circumstances.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:28 pm

dailygrind wrote:
TTH wrote:So you know how I was laid off after the bar because my 2L summer firm just didn't have the work for me?

Maybe you can hit up a contact and see what's what? Maybe they'll reconsider in light of new circumstances.
I just got off the phone with the associate who left. Her last day was yesterday, and I don't know that the firm was aware she was leaving when they laid me off. She suggested I contact the managing partner tomorrow, and I think I'm going to send her an e-mail to say that I heard there might be a need and to re-convey my enthusiasm for the firm. Fuck it, right? Worst they can do is say no again, yeah?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:37 pm

TTH wrote:
dailygrind wrote:

I just got off the phone with the associate who left. Her last day was yesterday, and I don't know that the firm was aware she was leaving when they laid me off. She suggested I contact the managing partner tomorrow, and I think I'm going to send her an e-mail to say that I heard there might be a need and to re-convey my enthusiasm for the firm. Fuck it, right? Worst they can do is say no again, yeah?
Yup. Do it bro.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:55 am

Gorki wrote:Anyone know what Western NoDak is REALLY like? There are always postings for need of attorneys (even if mainly "shitlaw") out there. I understand its pretty much a boom-town with lots of problems, but does anyone know first hand how things are going in the West-of-Bismarck region?

REALLY like? No. A flavor ot NoDak? Here's my take: I had to fly into Minot for a wedding 2 weeks ago. I couldn't handle it. Large enough to have a traffic jam (boom traffic) and feel like a new sprawling suburb with their new big box stores but small enough to make me crazy. And that's the summer. The smaller towns people will like you, but if you crack a NoDak joke, and you're not from there, they're not so friendly anymore. Not like in a "I'm gonna run you out of town," way. More like "no way in hell we'd help you in a snowstorm. Freeze city slicker" way.

However, like the other poaster said, sunsets are purdy there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:32 am

Haven't had time to read through the entire thread. If it's any consequence to people out there, and I know this is coming from an anonymous poster on the Internet, but I have been there. I have lost two jobs, I am unemployed, I have no where to go, nothing to do. I have taken risks, as people here have said. My part time job is humiliating. At least I have something to show current employers, but the details are so sad: a high school student can do my job.

For a while, I was probably suicidal. Very depressed, at least. But in time, you find comfort in something, or at least move on.

I am still unemployed. I am on food stamps. Unemployment benefits will run out. I have applied to more jobs than I can count (hundreds upon hundreds). The shame I have is endless. But at least I have some will to live. I know I am done in law, I don't even care really. It's just that I am in such an employment hole because of my recent trend.

For what it is worth, I graduated cum laude from a school on the first page of the U.S. News rankings and originally had plenty of job offers. My how much things can change.

Stay strong. Wish I could help everyone who is hurting.

-Just a guy on the Internet posting from a very isolated place in the middle of nowhere.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:Haven't had time to read through the entire thread. If it's any consequence to people out there, and I know this is coming from an anonymous poster on the Internet, but I have been there. I have lost two jobs, I am unemployed, I have no where to go, nothing to do. I have taken risks, as people here have said. My part time job is humiliating. At least I have something to show current employers, but the details are so sad: a high school student can do my job.

For a while, I was probably suicidal. Very depressed, at least. But in time, you find comfort in something, or at least move on.

I am still unemployed. I am on food stamps. Unemployment benefits will run out. I have applied to more jobs than I can count (hundreds upon hundreds). The shame I have is endless. But at least I have some will to live. I know I am done in law, I don't even care really. It's just that I am in such an employment hole because of my recent trend.

For what it is worth, I graduated cum laude from a school on the first page of the U.S. News rankings and originally had plenty of job offers. My how much things can change.

-Just a guy on the Internet posting from a very isolated place in the middle of nowhere.
Stay strong dude. Life's more than what you do for work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote: Tough to say w out knowing more about your individual situation. Like what experience you have, where home is located, where target market is, etc.
Target market is California and I currently live on the other side of the country. Practice is environmental law, and I have only unpaid/PI experience in that field. I went to a T6 school and struck out at OCI, twice. I've applied to a thousand firms and government jobs over the past three years and just feel silly passing up one now after getting rejected from everything. I know I need to move to California and look for jobs there at some point, but I am questioning whether my odds of finding work would really be that much better now, or in a year when I have some paid work experience. :(
3L at T6 now. I felt you bro. Everyone keeps saying "you go to T6, you will be fine". NOT TRUE.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:Haven't had time to read through the entire thread. If it's any consequence to people out there, and I know this is coming from an anonymous poster on the Internet, but I have been there. I have lost two jobs, I am unemployed, I have no where to go, nothing to do. I have taken risks, as people here have said. My part time job is humiliating. At least I have something to show current employers, but the details are so sad: a high school student can do my job.

That blows. When did you graduate? What are/were your career goals? What kinds of jobs did you lose, and how'd you lose them?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:42 am

Void wrote:That blows. When did you graduate? What are/were your career goals? What kinds of jobs did you lose, and how'd you lose them?
How does that info help anyone?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:47 am

Everyone on this board should read Choose Yourself, by James Altucher. It is a really great book that helped me not only put stuff in perspective, but also think about different ways I could be making money. The dude that wrote it is pretty out there, but really smart and if you write something to him after reading the book, he'll give you a 100% rebate.

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:03 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Void wrote:That blows. When did you graduate? What are/were your career goals? What kinds of jobs did you lose, and how'd you lose them?
How does that info help anyone?
Just curious. I didn't realize that questions on this thread are supposed to be limited to information that will help someone.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”