The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 20, 2016 11:02 pm

Manali wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What are some good places to look for jobs online besides your school job board?
PSJD, NLADA, BYU Jobbank
Those will all come up from a simple Google search? Or do I need a way in?

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Fri May 20, 2016 11:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Manali wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What are some good places to look for jobs online besides your school job board?
PSJD, NLADA, BYU Jobbank
You need to sign up for PSJD.

BYU Jobbank username and password are on the OP of this thread.

NLADA will come up from a simple Google search.

GL! I hope this helps.

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Fri May 20, 2016 11:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Manali wrote:
PSJD, NLADA, BYU Jobbank
Also, Idealist is good for public interest positions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 20, 2016 11:45 pm

Thank you so much!

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Sat May 21, 2016 2:19 am

Gobiglaw.com every so often has some entry level positions and has a newsletter

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 21, 2016 10:03 am

Haven't posted here in a while but going anon since I can probably be outted pretty easily.

Got no offered from my SA at a V30 due to circumstances outside of my control coming from a NYC regional school, roughly top 1/3 GPA. Ended up in house for an investment bank for a couple of years and just got in at a V50. Don't give up!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 21, 2016 1:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Haven't posted here in a while but going anon since I can probably be outted pretty easily.

Got no offered from my SA at a V30 due to circumstances outside of my control coming from a NYC regional school, roughly top 1/3 GPA. Ended up in house for an investment bank for a couple of years and just got in at a V50. Don't give up!

So basically gotta believe that even if my first job isn't my favorite, lateraling into biglaw litigation is possible?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 22, 2016 11:58 am

For May 2015 graduates still in the Vale: After 7 months of applying/interviewing (since getting licensed), I received my first offer and am in the process of negotiating the salary now. It ain't a goldmine, but it's the area of public interest law that inspired me to go to law school. I know the despair and the feeling of drifting further and further away from what I had wanted. Hang in there, friends, and keep at it.

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Sun May 22, 2016 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For May 2015 graduates still in the Vale: After 7 months of applying/interviewing (since getting licensed), I received my first offer and am in the process of negotiating the salary now. It ain't a goldmine, but it's the area of public interest law that inspired me to go to law school. I know the despair and the feeling of drifting further and further away from what I had wanted. Hang in there, friends, and keep at it.
Did you do volunteer work while in the Vale?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 22, 2016 2:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Haven't posted here in a while but going anon since I can probably be outted pretty easily.

So basically gotta believe that even if my first job isn't my favorite, lateraling into biglaw litigation is possible?
Well I was making 6 figures in my in house position but I got recruited back to biglaw out of the blue so for all of the people saying it doesn't happen,maybe the market is picking up!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 22, 2016 3:44 pm

Manali wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For May 2015 graduates still in the Vale: After 7 months of applying/interviewing (since getting licensed), I received my first offer and am in the process of negotiating the salary now. It ain't a goldmine, but it's the area of public interest law that inspired me to go to law school. I know the despair and the feeling of drifting further and further away from what I had wanted. Hang in there, friends, and keep at it.

I did not. When I was asked in the interview what I'd been doing since getting my license, I responded that I'd spent some time catching up with my 3 teenaged kids, since they'd been pretty neglected during law school. Also,I had begun the process of setting up my own practice. Mainly, though, I emphasized that I was (for better or worse) particular about where I applied and remained dedicated to doing public interest work only.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 22, 2016 4:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Well I was making 6 figures in my in house position but I got recruited back to biglaw out of the blue so for all of the people saying it doesn't happen,maybe the market is picking up!
That's what I like to hear!

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Sun May 22, 2016 4:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Manali wrote:

I did not. When I was asked in the interview what I'd been doing since getting my license, I responded that I'd spent some time catching up with my 3 teenaged kids, since they'd been pretty neglected during law school. Also,I had begun the process of setting up my own practice. Mainly, though, I emphasized that I was (for better or worse) particular about where I applied and remained dedicated to doing public interest work only.
What type of public interest position is it? (PM me if you want). Congratulations! :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

VTgrrrrl

New

Post by VTgrrrrl » Sun May 22, 2016 10:44 pm

Manali wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Manali wrote:

What type of public interest position is it? (PM me if you want). Congratulations! :D
Legal Aid. And thanks - all the best to you!

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Mon May 23, 2016 8:36 pm

VTgrrrrl wrote:
Manali wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Manali wrote:

Legal Aid. And thanks - all the best to you!
I want to do legal aid too, so your story is very inspiring to me. What sorts of experience/activities did you do during law school to position yourself for Legal Aid? (Again, feel free to PM me if you don't want to out yourself).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 27, 2016 10:52 pm

I am so tired of all these rejections and mostly no-answers. 2015 grad still in the vale. I am so ready to give up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 28, 2016 1:47 am

I have NO idea how to handle these situations, any advice would be appreciated. Or maybe I just want to rant. lol.

Background: I graduated median-ish from a t14. I have a job at a B4 lined up, but I don't like it. The pay is less than half of market, and it's in one of the most expensive areas of the country. I took the CA bar in feb, and failed.

1. A recruiter contacted me regarding working together while I was waiting on results. I haven't told her I failed, and she hasn't asked. I am assuming she assumes I would pass the bar; one of her employees told me (quite some time ago, before I took the bar) that they only worked with bar passers. I don't know if I should tell her? Or if she knows (My name is not on the attorney search, and my resume does not have bar passage listed).

I spoke with my friends, parents, and even my CSO. Most of them tell me not to mention it unless she asks, don't try to do other people's jobs for them, etc. Is this ok? I don't want to wreck the relationship...

2. (This is a bit more complicated) In like mid-April, a firm recruiter reached out to me, and told me to submit my materials for an entry level position in a large nearby city. (For various reasons, the recruiter did not want to work with this firm) I did, and heard nothing. The Monday (5/16) after I heard about the bar results, the recruiter called back and had this conversation:
Recruiter: I have one question. Have you passed the CA Bar yet?
Me: No, I am planning to take it in July
Recruiter: Great! That's all I needed to know. I will pass your resume around to the attorneys and get back to you.

I followed up on that Friday, 5/20, and was told, Oh, someone is on vacation, I will be in touch next week. So, this week comes along and nothing. What should I do? Give the firm up for lost? I know it's a long shot at this point, but it really would be a wonderful job...

Thanks you guys <3

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Sat May 28, 2016 5:54 am

I would not mention failing the bar to anyone until/unless asked. I also wouldn't say you're definitely out at the firm. Shit can take a while. I'd very briefly follow up again maybe mid-next week. No reason not to keep pursuing it until you get an answer one way or the other

Puttanesca

Bronze

Post by Puttanesca » Sun May 29, 2016 9:14 pm

This thread has been a tremendous help. Thank you all.

Happy to report that I got a fedgov job. Non-DC office. Feeling very fortunate. A lot of it is luck.

Obviously not an expert, but if anyone has questions about applying for fed employment, will do my best to answer them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 29, 2016 9:18 pm

that's awesome, congrats! I feel like a good fed gov job is harder to land than biglaw, or at least a better outcome. I just got out of the vale for a federal mag clerkship I'm hoping to parlay into some sort of longterm federal job. Did you have much specialized experience for the agency? What was the timeline? I'm not even sure when I should start applying.

Puttanesca

Bronze

Post by Puttanesca » Mon May 30, 2016 12:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:that's awesome, congrats! I feel like a good fed gov job is harder to land than biglaw, or at least a better outcome. I just got out of the vale for a federal mag clerkship I'm hoping to parlay into some sort of longterm federal job. Did you have much specialized experience for the agency? What was the timeline? I'm not even sure when I should start applying.
Thanks! Congrats on the clerkship! Yes, I had specialized experience for the agency. My timeline was atypically fast, like less than 2 months from the close of the posting to my start date. I think 4-6 months is more common.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 31, 2016 12:37 pm

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2016/05/ ... -time-job/

Not sure what to make of this, but thought the results were worth noting.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am so tired of all these rejections and mostly no-answers. 2015 grad still in the vale. I am so ready to give up.
Do not give up. Knocking on so many doors, but just remember you only need one door to open. Once you get the nod, all this time you've spent looking will be in the past.

If you need to vent or chat or whatever, feel free to PM me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am so tired of all these rejections and mostly no-answers. 2015 grad still in the vale. I am so ready to give up.
Please don't talk about giving up. Being unemployed was the worst thing that ever happened to me. Worse than break ups, my parents divorce, my grandmother dying and not being able to say goodbye the last time.

You will get through this. I'm not sure when or how, but you will. Please just hang in there another day. It seems impossible, but things really do get better.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:29 am

2015 Grad, and I just got a job last week, and well my dream job has also been in the pipeline. Unemployment was demoralizing, but please do not give up. I went on 12 interviews before I landed my current gig.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”