The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TTH

Diamond

The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by TTH » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:00 pm

To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve; to thee do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this vale of tears."

BYU Job Bank Login (current as of 12/13/17)
URL: https://www.law2.byu.edu/Career_Services/jobbank
User Name: jrcbcougar
Password: byublue2017

(Plz PM me when this needs updating)

The Vale is Internet Famous

Even more Internet Famous
rad lulz wrote:There is no 3L hiring "season." 3L job search possibilities look like this

1) 3L OCI - HAHAURFUCKED

2) Mass mail - low return for even the minimal amount of time it takes to research/mail merge due to the fact that the firms you mail must want to hire and want to hire AT THE TIME you mail and often they are looking to fill a specific practice need

3) Networking - hope you got on that sometime over the past few years

4) Symplicity - low response rate but better than mass mailing because those firms are ACTUALLY hiring when you submit your resume.

5) Whatever your CSO can scrounge up for you - probably nothing

6) Small firm or govt you clerk/intern for during the year - decent option if you can do this; those places may want to hire you or know people who will
Last edited by TTH on Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:38 pm, edited 19 times in total.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Re: Mourning and Weeping in the Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting)

Post by LawIdiot86 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:22 pm

TTH wrote:ITT we share stories from the 3L jerb hustle. I'll start.

Very dramatic swing in emotions just now. I got a call from a phone number I didn't recognize in my area code.

--ImageRemoved--

It was my pharmacy.

Who here hasn't seen a number they didn't recognized, answered with their professional voice "Hello, this is name" and had a friend be like "why are you talking so weird, my phone died and I was trying to reach you on this number."

nevdash

Bronze

Post by nevdash » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:42 pm

Anyone else seriously weighed the pros and cons of shitlaw vs. suicide?

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:50 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Perseus_I

Bronze

Post by Perseus_I » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:55 pm

nevdash wrote:Anyone else seriously weighed the pros and cons of shitlaw vs. suicide?
I think it's probably better to work retail than to work in shitlaw. Better pay, better hours, and more upward potential.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:00 pm

Perseus_I wrote:
nevdash wrote:Anyone else seriously weighed the pros and cons of shitlaw vs. suicide?
I think it's probably better to work retail than to work in shitlaw. Better pay, better hours, and more upward potential.
You're probably gonna have a hard time pulling down BIGRETAIL with all your credentials.

I guess it would all depend on the flavor of the shitlaw. Low-end insurance defense or doc review is always going to be a grind with no end in sight. At least with plaintiff's work, you'll always have the dream of landing the right client and cashing in.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:05 pm

Really depends on what shitlaw we're talking about. I've seen shitlaw where the pay is 40k but everyone goes home at 5 and work no more than 50 hour weeks. And then I have seen hell.

RickyDnwhyc

Bronze

Post by RickyDnwhyc » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:47 pm

o_O
Last edited by RickyDnwhyc on Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ikki

Bronze

Post by Ikki » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:59 pm

RickyDnwhyc wrote:40k? I'm working 40 hours for 35k... as a paralegal... out of undergrad... with no work experience.

I didn't even interview for this position.

I really feel for you guys. I am terrified of going to law school to end up making less money than most litigation paralegals (some make upwards of 55k with 1 year WE, Sr. paralegals are making 75k, some even hit six figures)...

And then when I see "JDs don't bother applying" in the job description my heart really sinks :(
Banhammer, please.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:23 pm

The 4L job hunt is worse...

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:22 pm

So, how's all my bros doing?

I'm still in the wind, although I had a promising interview last week. I'm starting to slow down on my hustle and am really only applying to stuff that comes up on Symplicity or that I get tipped off to. I figure that anyone who was looking to hire in the fall has already called who they were gonna call.

Failing all this, how about we all get together, move to some TTT jurisdiction, and open a plaintiff's firm? I'd look okay on a phonebook.

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:34 am

Last edited by Myself on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:52 am

Aqualibrium wrote:The 4L job hunt is worse...
LOL yep.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:54 am

TTH wrote:So, how's all my bros doing?

I'm still in the wind, although I had a promising interview last week. I'm starting to slow down on my hustle and am really only applying to stuff that comes up on Symplicity or that I get tipped off to. I figure that anyone who was looking to hire in the fall has already called who they were gonna call.

Failing all this, how about we all get together, move to some TTT jurisdiction, and open a plaintiff's firm? I'd look okay on a phonebook.
Naw I think I'll flee the country or at the very least become a vagrant here.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:10 am

rad lulz wrote:

How bout this? Let's move to a popular tourist town in Mexico and start a practice that really just consists of using bribe money and connections to get tourists bailed out of jail and on a plane out of the country.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:39 am

TTH wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

How bout this? Let's move to a popular tourist town in Mexico and start a practice that really just consists of using bribe money and connections to get tourists bailed out of jail and on a plane out of the country.
Check you FCPA bro. Sucks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:14 pm

rad lulz wrote: Check you FCPA bro. Sucks.
FCPA don't mean shit when you're already expat'ing to dodge student loan creditors.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:17 pm

does anyone else just want to not practice law? i hate the practice and the people...so i'm also in tears over the fact that not only do I not have a job, I am stuck in a field I hate ...without a job. what a mess

RickyDnwhyc

Bronze

Post by RickyDnwhyc » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:does anyone else just want to not practice law? i hate the practice and the people...so i'm also in tears over the fact that not only do I not have a job, I am stuck in a field I hate ...without a job. what a mess
Got any tips on how to figure this out BEFORE attending Law School? I'd really appreciate it.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:32 pm

Sorry, never mind.
Last edited by IAFG on Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:34 pm

@RickyDnwhyc spend a week with a practitioner - those informational interviews that you ask what they do and they answer at how glam the life is...they don't count.

You spent every day with snotty, jerk people obsessed with prestige, billables, or benefits (govt. ppl) and all you do is stay in front of a computer and type long-winded memos no one reads. That's it...that's your life. Computer, reading law and cases that bore you to tears, and small breaks to interact with terrible people. You make no difference in the world and to reach that point of making a difference, you should have been born in a better economy or have years of experience.

RickyDnwhyc

Bronze

Post by RickyDnwhyc » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:36 pm

IAFG wrote:
RickyDnwhyc wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:does anyone else just want to not practice law? i hate the practice and the people...so i'm also in tears over the fact that not only do I not have a job, I am stuck in a field I hate ...without a job. what a mess
Got any tips on how to figure this out BEFORE attending Law School? I'd really appreciate it.
You could be sure it doesn't happen to you by killing yourself now.
Would I go to Heaven? Would there be models? Bottles perhaps?

AllTheLawz

Bronze

Post by AllTheLawz » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:@RickyDnwhyc spend a week with a practitioner - those informational interviews that you ask what they do and they answer at how glam the life is...they don't count.

You spent every day with snotty, jerk people obsessed with prestige, billables, or benefits (govt. ppl) and all you do is stay in front of a computer and type long-winded memos no one reads. That's it...that's your life. Computer, reading law and cases that bore you to tears, and small breaks to interact with terrible people. You make no difference in the world and to reach that point of making a difference, you should have been born in a better economy or have years of experience.
Sounds like you just hate 85%+ of the jobs in America.. shouldve been shooting for a pop star/athlete/reality host gig.

RickyDnwhyc

Bronze

Post by RickyDnwhyc » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:@RickyDnwhyc spend a week with a practitioner - those informational interviews that you ask what they do and they answer at how glam the life is...they don't count.

That sounds exclusive to BigLaw though. What happened to stomaching it for 3-5 years and then LOLEXITOPTIONS? (lolitboutiques, lolmidlaw, lolinhouse, etc)

Unfortunately I don't know any practitioners well enough :(

Currently a para-paper-slave in a large PI mill in NYC, no one really looks miserable, sort of gives me hope, though I don't know how much weeping goes on behind closed doors.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”