The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:so.. yesterday afternoon i got a voicemail from a firm i applied to recently, asking for a call back. i didn't have time to return the call until today around 3, at which point i learn that the woman who called me is out of town and won't be back until next Wednesday at the earliest. did i just screw this up for myself by not calling back asap? bites from employers are few and far between these days..
Did you call and ask for her and get told she was out of town? Or did you call and ask for her, get told she was out of town, and say, "Thanks, maybe I can speak to you, she contacted me coming in to interview for a job." If you didn't do the latter, then call them back and try it - there may be someone else who can take over the process, or they may just say, "oh, we'll let her know and you can do that when she's back in town." Either way, not getting back to her for 24 hours isn't the end of the world. She has to have known you weren't going to be able to interview with her personally until after she got back in town, even if she spoke with you before she left.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:24 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:so.. yesterday afternoon i got a voicemail from a firm i applied to recently, asking for a call back. i didn't have time to return the call until today around 3, at which point i learn that the woman who called me is out of town and won't be back until next Wednesday at the earliest. did i just screw this up for myself by not calling back asap? bites from employers are few and far between these days..
Did you call and ask for her and get told she was out of town? Or did you call and ask for her, get told she was out of town, and say, "Thanks, maybe I can speak to you, she contacted me coming in to interview for a job." If you didn't do the latter, then call them back and try it - there may be someone else who can take over the process, or they may just say, "oh, we'll let her know and you can do that when she's back in town." Either way, not getting back to her for 24 hours isn't the end of the world. She has to have known you weren't going to be able to interview with her personally until after she got back in town, even if she spoke with you before she left.
thanks, and good point. i should specify that i was just asked to call back, not do a CB. i asked for the particular lawyer (it's a small to midsized firm) and was told she was out of town by a secretary- did not ask to speak with anyone else. i'm thinking about emailing or just waiting and calling again next week.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
thanks, and good point. i should specify that i was just asked to call back, not do a CB. i asked for the particular lawyer (it's a small to midsized firm) and was told she was out of town by a secretary- did not ask to speak with anyone else. i'm thinking about emailing or just waiting and calling again next week.
Ah, I get call back now. Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the delay (I know it's super frustrating not to be able to get hold of her right away! but she's not going to decide she doesn't want to talk to you). E-mailing makes sense, though, since she's probably checking that.

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:08 pm

Back to the 5 minute rejection. I had 2 today. While they suck, they sure as fuck beat throwing your application down the memory hole.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:34 pm

Will doc review be a scarlet letter for gov/PI employers?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:41 pm

About what proportion of kids in T15-30 schools never find FT long term legal work and leave the law altogether? Saw a Linkedin profile of some dood who's been doing a string of doc review projects since freakin 2007...granted he's a "TTT" grad, but damnnnn...6 years, and still nothing?

I know it's only been < 3 months since graduation but I'm worried sick about being stuck in the Vale indefinitely... :|

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:55 pm

Feel like a complete idiot. Just as I pressed the apply button on a simplicity posting, I realized that I did not address one of the posting's guidelines on my cover letter. Oh well, and I really like this firm. :roll:

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Feel like a complete idiot. Just as I pressed the apply button on a simplicity posting, I realized that I did not address one of the posting's guidelines on my cover letter. Oh well, and I really like this firm. :roll:

Call and ask to update your file?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Will doc review be a scarlet letter for gov/PI employers?
Leave it off your resume

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:13 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Will doc review be a scarlet letter for gov/PI employers?
Leave it off your resume
I think the only way you can do this is if you volunteer or have a side jerb. Having a year of doc review probably looks better than a year of unemployment. Still crap, but at least you can account for the time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:14 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Feel like a complete idiot. Just as I pressed the apply button on a simplicity posting, I realized that I did not address one of the posting's guidelines on my cover letter. Oh well, and I really like this firm. :roll:

Call who? Simplicity? The firm? Some firms have an withdraw your application option, but not this one. My mistake was not big, I just hate giving the impression that I am a careless reader.

It just annoys me cause this firm usually hires 3Ls, my GPA is not off the mark, and have good story for the practice area they are looking for.

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:

Call who? Simplicity? The firm? Some firms have an withdraw your application option, but not this one. My mistake was not big, I just hate giving the impression that I am a careless reader.

The firm. I'd only do it if you think it'll help with contacting you. If you think missing this guideline wasn't a big mistake, then don't worry too much.

Last fall, I submitted an updated cover letter because my contact info was wrong. I still got an interview, but I'm still in the vale.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:25 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:

The firm. I'd only do it if you think it'll help with contacting you. If you think this guideline wasn't a big mistake, then don't worry too much.

Last fall, I submitted an updated cover letter because my contact info was wrong. I still got an interview, but I'm still in the vale.
Also in vale, as you can probably figure by me posting in this thread. It is probably nothing to worry about, nothing that will make a difference, but being in the position we are, I always feel much worse about any mistake I make. Thanks anyway for the advice and best of luck to you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:

It just annoys me cause this firm usually hires 3Ls, my GPA is not off the mark, and have good story for the practice area they are looking for.

Withdraw the Symplicity application and resubmit it.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:About what proportion of kids in T15-30 schools never find FT long term legal work and leave the law altogether? Saw a Linkedin profile of some dood who's been doing a string of doc review projects since freakin 2007...granted he's a "TTT" grad, but damnnnn...6 years, and still nothing?
Damn that's misery.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:25 pm

kalvano wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:

Withdraw the Symplicity application and resubmit it.
Genius... totally different area of simplicity allows you to withdraw. I thought it was not an option for some postings. Under Home, "Applications Submitted."
Had no idea about this. Which makes me wonder... how does simplicity work? Do they not sent the information to firms until the deadline of the posting? Will the firm have the previous version of my application package? I am afraid in that case that it will just bring attention to my mistake, not necessarily something that puts me in a better light if I care about not seeming like a careless reader.

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Genius... totally different area of simplicity allows you to withdraw. I thought it was not an option for some postings. Under Home, "Applications Submitted."
Had no idea about this. Which makes me wonder... how does simplicity work? Do they not sent the information to firms until the deadline of the posting? Will the firm have the previous version of my application package? I am afraid in that case that it will just bring attention to my mistake, not necessarily something that puts me in a better light if I care about not seeming like a careless reader.
When you apply, the files get packaged into an e-mail with the job posting heading and your school. When you withdraw, I assume it sends an e-mail noting that as well. I know this because I applied to a job on symplicity where the recruiter sent a reply to me based off the e-mail that symplicity sent them.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:17 am

I really fucking need a job. I'm panicking. What the hell am I going to do? I don't have enough money to just sit around the house doing nothing. Should I just give up on a legal career? The thing is, I don't even know what the hell else I can do. This is seriously the worst thing that has ever happened to me. Can't believe I graduated without a job. Ugh.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:I really fucking need a job. I'm panicking. What the hell am I going to do? I don't have enough money to just sit around the house doing nothing. Should I just give up on a legal career? The thing is, I don't even know what the hell else I can do. This is seriously the worst thing that has ever happened to me. Can't believe I graduated without a job. Ugh.
Work shit jobs until you get something better. This isn't some "i need a legal job now or I will never have one" situation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:19 am

I'll be honest, I was in the vale for a while after getting no offered and landed on my feet with a pretty awesome job. I still dream about being no offered almost every night. I feel so inadequate, and worry daily that I'm going to fuck up my current position (thank god I got one at all). It's like no matter how hard I try, I still can't shake that feeling of failure.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:37 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:09 am

Work shit jobs until you get something better. This isn't some "I need a legal job now or I will never have one" situation.
If I'm not making 50k then I can't live. I have credit card bills, I have apartment rent, I have things. After three years of my life working shit jobs and hustling through internships and law clerk positions and god knows what the fuck else I did, I can't just work as a bartender or a $12/hr job right now. I would rather and gladly die than do that. Life is not worth it if I am 27 with a JD from a top school and can't get a job that pays at least 50k.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Work shit jobs until you get something better. This isn't some "I need a legal job now or I will never have one" situation.
If I'm not making 50k then I can't live. I have credit card bills, I have apartment rent, I have things. After three years of my life working shit jobs and hustling through internships and law clerk positions and god knows what the fuck else I did, I can't just work as a bartender or a $12/hr job right now. I would rather and gladly die than do that. Life is not worth it if I am 27 with a JD from a top school and can't get a job that pays at least 50k.
I got rejected from a $10/hour job, 12 sounds awesome. Seriously dude, there is more to life than your job. I've got rent, bills, and tons of debt too. Life is still worth it. Think of the people who will miss you, think of the things you'll miss out on. I mean, you gotta at least see how Breaking Bad ends right? That thought alone powers me through some days

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I have a jd from a top school, kids, and work as a fucking fry cook for less than $10/hr. It's ok to feel bad about your situation. It's not ok to let your ego prevent you from doing things NOW that can keep you afloat. Get over it.
Last edited by bjsesq on Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:09 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I got rejected from a $10/hour job, 12 sounds awesome. Seriously dude, there is more to life than your job. I've got rent, bills, and tons of debt too. Life is still worth it. Think of the people who will miss you, think of the things you'll miss out on. I mean, you gotta at least see how Breaking Bad ends right? That thought alone powers me through some days
Also I don't know how much (how little?) this means to you, but I'd be pissed if you stop poasting here

Sorry about your rejection brother

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”