The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sparty99

Gold

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by sparty99 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:30 pm

NEW JERSEY BAR REQUIRED.

Weitz & Luxenberg, P.C., a prominent plaintiff side law firm head quartered in New York City, is currently seeking an Attorney Fellow to liaison between our three offices and our many clients across the country.

This position is a temporary position intended for approximately 3-6 months. Candidates must be independent, forward thinking, and have prior Attorney or clerkship experience.This will be an excellent opportunity to gain significant exposure and jumpstart a career with an established firm.

The attorney will not be stationed in one location, but will continually travel to meet firm's needs. New Jersey bar membership is required.

If interested, please submit resumes to careeropps@weitzlux.com

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:52 pm

BlueLotus wrote:For Valers barred in PA (I'm looking at you, BarbellDreams!):

Position: Assistant Public Defender
Employer: Lancaster County Public Defender (Lancaster, PA)
Contact Address: 150 N. Queen Street, 2nd FL, Suite 210 Lancaster, Pennsylvania 17603
United States
Fax: (717) 299-8172
Position Type: Post Grad (0-3),Post Grad (3-5)
Job Description: The County of Lancaster, Pennsylvania has an opening for a full-time
assistant public defender.
Salary: - $49,335- $87,204
Posted Date: 10/31/2013 Deadline Date: 11/29/2013
Application Process: US Mail to:
James J. Karl
Chief Public Defender
150 N. Queen Street, 2nd FL, Suite 210
Lancaster, PA 17603
Applied to this like 2 weeks ago :)

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:01 pm

kalvano wrote:Don't let that discourage you. My job has nothing to do with anything on my résumé. Apply to anything you'd be willing to do.
What would make an employer interview you if your resume has things that are not relevant to the job (assuming you didn't tailor it)? How can you tailor your resume with relevant experience you don't have?

Pretzel_Logic

Platinum

Post by Pretzel_Logic » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:21 pm

a male human wrote:
kalvano wrote:Don't let that discourage you. My job has nothing to do with anything on my résumé. Apply to anything you'd be willing to do.
What would make an employer interview you if your resume has things that are not relevant to the job (assuming you didn't tailor it)? How can you tailor your resume with relevant experience you don't have?

I'm struggling with this as well...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:24 pm

anyone find their school's "3L gift campaign" slightly offensive/in bad taste?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:28 pm

a male human wrote:
Your other credentials are what can pull you in. In reality, law school doesn't prepare you for much of anything and one or two summer internships really don't mean anything. The issue is how you argue it come interview/cover letter time.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:47 pm

another listing of interest to folks barred in PA. just posted today.

UNITED STEELWORKERS OF AMERICA (USWA)
http://www.uswa.org
Date Posted: 11/12/2013
Job Type: ATTORNEY
Schedule Type: Full Time

Practice Areas: Employment/Labor, Litigation

Job Description
We are a diverse, growing union of 850,000 members representing workers in a broad range of industrial and service sectors in the United States and Canada. Our 14-person Pittsburgh Legal Department, which maintains a broad litigation and collective-bargaining related practice, has an immediate opening for an energetic, self-starting attorney with a deep commitment to serving working people.

Qualifications
Excellent writing and research skills and a strong academic record are musts. Third year students and judicial clerks are eligible for consideration. Minorities, women and Peggy Browning Fellows are strongly encouraged to apply.

Salary
Competitive salary and outstanding benefits package.

Application Instructions:
Please send a cover letter telling us about yourself and your interest in the labor movement as well as your resume, references, law school transcript, and writing sample to Richard Brean, United Steelworkers International Union, Five Gateway Center, Pittsburgh, PA 15222 or e-mail to: rbrean@usw.org.

Pretzel_Logic

Platinum

Post by Pretzel_Logic » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
a male human wrote:
Your other credentials are what can pull you in. In reality, law school doesn't prepare you for much of anything and one or two summer internships really don't mean anything. The issue is how you argue it come interview/cover letter time.
well, yes, but if i have, say, all criminal experience, it's very difficult to sell to a civil lit firm that I'm actually committed to doing that long term and I get zero response (even though I just want to litigate--I'm cool with whatever field, really). My resume so obviously screams criminal work they all assume I'd bolt as soon as one of those spots opened up, and I'm not sure how else I can convince them. Show them my student loan debt??

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:57 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
a male human wrote:
well, yes, but if i have, say, all criminal experience, it's very difficult to sell to a civil lit firm that I'm actually committed to doing that long term and I get zero response (even though I just want to litigate--I'm cool with whatever field, really). My resume so obviously screams criminal work they all assume I'd bolt as soon as one of those spots opened up, and I'm not sure how else I can convince them. Show them my student loan debt??
You can literally spin ANYTHING. Criminal law has a lot to do with research and drafting, trial strategy, jury analysis, client contact, client prep/coaching, motions, briefs, etc...civil lit has all of that as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pretzel_Logic

Platinum

Post by Pretzel_Logic » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:58 pm

Well, you and I know that, but I haven't had any luck getting anyone to buy it...yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:05 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:Well, you and I know that, but I haven't had any luck getting anyone to buy it...yet.
That's when it becomes a numbers game. Some places won't bite, but others will. I will be interviewing in a state in a region of the country I have never been to outside any airports (i am a stereotypical coastal jew), but at least one guy who saw my resume thought my resume demonstrated enough to at least garner an interview with the firm.

Pretzel_Logic

Platinum

Post by Pretzel_Logic » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Pretzel_Logic wrote:Well, you and I know that, but I haven't had any luck getting anyone to buy it...yet.
That's when it becomes a numbers game. Some places won't bite, but others will. I will be interviewing in a state in a region of the country I have never been to outside any airports (i am a stereotypical coastal jew), but at least one guy who saw my resume thought my resume demonstrated enough to at least garner an interview with the firm.
That's encouraging. I've been feeling like I'm running into walls at every turn so I'm glad there's some light at the end of the maze for at least some of us...

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:11 pm

a male human wrote:
I didn't tailor mine at all. I think more than a few employers just assume that what you do in law school doesn't really and truly matter. They know it's sort of a holding pattern. They view it sort of as "well, Evidence class doesn't matter for this job but it's a hard class and if he can get an A in that class, then he can probably learn how to do this."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:33 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
a male human wrote:
If you have all criminal experience, then you should start getting other experience. For example, externships. You should also draft your resume so it doesn't scream criminal. Be more vague in your description. It's really not that difficult.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:50 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
All I can do for you, brother: https://www.law2.byu.edu/Career_Services/jobbank

Username: jobfind Password: EmployUs

Go to Iowa and Minnesota.

ETA: Even if you're a C/O 2014 3L, look anyways.
Been doing this, but I appreciate the reminder as I haven't looked in about a week.

Pretzel_Logic

Platinum

Post by Pretzel_Logic » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:51 pm

sparty99 wrote:If you have all criminal experience, then you should start getting other experience. For example, externships. You should also draft your resume so it doesn't scream criminal. Be more vague in your description. It's really not that difficult.
Oh, you.

Because I'd be sitting on my ass doing nothing if I had alternatives and there were externships falling out of the sky for grads. Yeah, okay.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:34 pm

Checking in after a brief hiatus post-Vale...

If anyone is looking for a residential real estate gig in Atlanta, and is already Georgia licensed, reach out to Morris Hardwick Schneider. I received a call from them late last week, inquiring about a mass mail I had sent over the summer. They're looking

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:37 pm

a male human wrote:
Weird, but like kalvano, I had zero experience on my resume with the job I got. I think I got lucky to get the interview and they just happened to like me.

Feel free to PM me for anymore details.

ETA: Pretzel, I think we have similar resumes.

withoutapaddle

Bronze

Post by withoutapaddle » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:46 pm

Hey everyone,

So I've read almost 30 pages of the Vale, and have made the decision not go to law school. My mediocre GPA (2.9 Cum, 2.73 LSAC) and my 174 LSAT won't get me into the type of schools with the best career prospects. I was also going to leverage the JD for a consulting gig, but read the big four only recruit from HYS law schools. I have a 730 GMAT, and that it would be better to leverage my experience in consulting and board of director on a 501c to get into a top B-School.

I just want to wish you all the best of luck. JD's are not the only ones dealing with the economy, I have a lot of friends who are in much worse situations financially, with a degree that has no relevance to the job market (I'm looking at you anthropology).

The majority of you are very smart, and went to great schools, and will be fine.

Advice for apps: My friend is an HR for a fortune 500 company. Take key words out of the job the description and put it on your resume. So if it says LexisNexis in the job description, and you have experience using it, but it's not on your resume, put it on. The program that reads the resumes are looking for words in the job description, nothing else.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:58 pm

withoutapaddle wrote:Hey everyone,

So I've read almost 30 pages of the Vale, and have made the decision not go to law school. My mediocre GPA (2.9 Cum, 2.73 LSAC) and my 174 LSAT won't get me into the type of schools with the best career prospects. I was also going to leverage the JD for a consulting gig, but read the big four only recruit from HYS law schools. I have a 730 GMAT, and that it would be better to leverage my experience in consulting and board of director on a 501c to get into a top B-School.

I just want to wish you all the best of luck. JD's are not the only ones dealing with the economy, I have a lot of friends who are in much worse situations financially, with a degree that has no relevance to the job market (I'm looking at you anthropology).

The majority of you are very smart, and went to great schools, and will be fine.

Advice for apps: My friend is an HR for a fortune 500 company. Take key words out of the job the description and put it on your resume. So if it says LexisNexis in the job description, and you have experience using it, but it's not on your resume, put it on. The program that reads the resumes are looking for words in the job description, nothing else.
The employment forum isn't a place for non-law students to post, and this thread in particular isn't a place for non-3Ls/grads to post.

And you seem delusional. Nobody pays the equivalent of 7 years of tuition to get an anthropology degree. Either you get a four year degree or you get a fully-funded phd (anyone who goes the masters route or has to pay for the their phd knew from the outset that they'd never get a job in their field and did it for funsies).

Also, you have no idea whether people posting here went to great schools, are smart, or will be fine. Meaningless platitudes are a way of being dismissive of other people's problems. This is the opposite of support and it's a tactic used only by clueless cunts, which I have to assume that you are.

Druid

Silver

Post by Druid » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:19 am

cinephile wrote:

The employment forum isn't a place for non-law students to post, and this thread in particular isn't a place for non-3Ls/grads to post.

And you seem delusional. Nobody pays the equivalent of 7 years of tuition to get an anthropology degree. Either you get a four year degree or you get a fully-funded phd (anyone who goes the masters route or has to pay for the their phd knew from the outset that they'd never get a job in their field and did it for funsies).

Also, you have no idea whether people posting here went to great schools, are smart, or will be fine. Meaningless platitudes are a way of being dismissive of other people's problems. This is the opposite of support and it's a tactic used only by clueless cunts, which I have to assume that you are.
When someone comes in and wishes you the best of luck and your first response is to shit all over them, you need to re-evaluate your choices. The thread isn't only applicable to 3Ls even if the advice is limited to them. Looks like he read a non-negligible part of the thread and it informed his decision. He thanked the thread, gave a hopeful wish of good luck, and offered a tip for resume-writing. I understand that he shouldn't be posting in this forum, but was it really necessary to call the guy a cunt?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:28 am

cinephile wrote:

I get that this is a stressful time dude, but seriously, lighten up a bit. The guy wished you good luck and said he hoped you'd succeed. Blowing up at him is kinda ridiculous no matter how stressed you are about the situation right now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:23 am

BarbellDreams wrote:
cinephile wrote:

I get that this is a stressful time dude, but seriously, lighten up a bit. The guy wished you good luck and said he hoped you'd succeed. Blowing up at him is kinda ridiculous no matter how stressed you are about the situation right now.
LOL +1

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:anyone find their school's "3L gift campaign" slightly offensive/in bad taste?
I was a 3L last year and yes I found it very much in bad taste

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:29 am

cinephile wrote:

This is just rude and uncalled for. 0Ls are allowed to post in this forum. They're just not allowed to ask questions in this forum.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”