The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
spleenworship

Gold

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by spleenworship » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Now:
- I have no projects at all now because one project is on indefinite hold and might not happen, another one I didn't get on despite assurances that I would get on it, and a third I declined because I was given assurances that one of the other projects would occur.
Specifically, the only reason I turned down the iffy job at Agency B is because I assumed that at least one of the other two projects would pan out. And now I have no projects!

Fuck my life.

Read the whole thing but deleted some for brevity in my reply.

Dude. I'm sorry. That sounds super rough and shitty.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:47 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Semi-out of the vale=the firm that I am a law clerk at said that I can stay on as a law clerk after the bar exam.
But not as a lawyer after results?

That seems odd to me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:37 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Semi-out of the vale=the firm that I am a law clerk at said that I can stay on as a law clerk after the bar exam.

That seems odd to me.
Sadly I've seen this occur several times as well. The firm knows it can pay you less and just hire someone else (at law clerk pay) if you leave/find an attorney position. Some gives you an offer for the attorney spot once you find another position but some do not.

Gefuehlsecht

Bronze

Post by Gefuehlsecht » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:06 pm

I can't even imagine how rough it must be on some people who constantly have to deal with the rejections. I still urge you not to lose hope over your situation and especially do not find fault within yourself. The legal job market for entry level is shit, I have no other description for it. Also, many of those who have been in the profession longer simply do not understand the difficulties you're facing. Do you really think a lot of older attorneys have any idea how much law school tuition is these days? Unless they're about to put a kid through college they won't have the slightest clue. Older lawyers are simply very removed from the issues a younger attorney faces at the start of his or her career.

Why am I telling you this? I am not sure, because I do understand that it is not really helpful. I don't have a lot of advice to give, either. I believe I have said it before, but you really need to sit down and make an inventory of those people in the profession you know and who you can reach out to. Not for a job, of course.

But think about supervisors, professors, attorneys you worked with, judges you interned for and law school colleagues who might have lucked out and found a job already. Think about people your parents might know, think about people in the community you know who know others. Politicians, preachers, what have you. Get in touch with those people and ask them for advice and let them know about your situation. You need to make them understand how desperate your situation is. That takes some courage and some diplomacy, but many of those people will be willing to help.

While they might not be able to offer you a position it will already be helpful if they are willing to keep a couple of your resumes in a drawer in case they hear about something somewhere. Networking by yourself and cold calling is extremely difficult and, in my opinion, pretty useless for starting attorneys. But if you can manage to get a few people who keep an eye out for you, that will be helpful and eventually pay off. You need champions who will recommend to somebody looking that you're the person they should call.

So keep your chin up, people. It can be done. You went through all this crap to get where you are now and you are now entitled to join this profession. Don't give up now and don't become cynical.

I have faith in you. You wanted to be damn lawyers so go ahead and be your own first client to advocate for.

Godspeed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

That seems odd to me.
Sadly I've seen this occur several times as well. The firm knows it can pay you less and just hire someone else (at law clerk pay) if you leave/find an attorney position. Some gives you an offer for the attorney spot once you find another position but some do not.
It depends on what business looks like. Being a lawyer after results is not off the table.

Pretzel_Logic

Platinum

Post by Pretzel_Logic » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:03 pm

Gefuehlsecht wrote:I have faith in you. You wanted to be damn lawyers so go ahead and be your own first client to advocate for.

Godspeed.
TYBBarGod

Seriously dude, thank you for this.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:40 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:
Gefuehlsecht wrote:I have faith in you. You wanted to be damn lawyers so go ahead and be your own first client to advocate for.

Godspeed.
TYBBarGod

Seriously dude, thank you for this.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:42 pm

Flight attendant on delayed flight to a job interview hooked a brother up with a double Bloody Mary at no charge.

Everybody wish me even more luck! I might not get the job, but at this rate ill be drunk for free all day and night.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:47 pm

spleenworship wrote:Flight attendant on delayed flight to a job interview hooked a brother up with a double Bloody Mary at no charge.

Everybody wish me even more luck! I might not get the job, but at this rate ill be drunk for free all day and night.
Best of luck to you.

sometimesIwonder

New

Post by sometimesIwonder » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:22 pm

spleenworship wrote:

That seems odd to me.
I've heard of these types of arrangements before. awful.

lsatextreme

Silver

Post by lsatextreme » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:51 am

sometimesIwonder wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

That seems odd to me.
let's just say that I wouldn't mind having that opportunity right about now. Then there's at least some tangible hope.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:49 pm

lsatextreme wrote:
sometimesIwonder wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

That seems odd to me.
let's just say that I wouldn't mind having that opportunity right about now. Then there's at least some tangible hope.
This happened to me and it was the worst. I got the position after the bar because the law clerk was going back to school. I took intakes phone calls and data collection for 6 months before they fired me (mentioned before as anon in this thread). I felt really belittled, and I was paid jack shit.

i know it is nice to have a position in the firm, but I was frustrated so I considered it the vale myself. good luck OP!

Pretzel_Logic

Platinum

Post by Pretzel_Logic » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:00 pm

Got an interview for a jerb this week. The pay is terrible, I'd have to move, and it's a term position so I wouldn't really be totally out of the Vale, but it's an opportunity, so I'm trying to get PUMPED.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:09 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:Got an interview for a jerb this week. The pay is terrible, I'd have to move, and it's a term position so I wouldn't really be totally out of the Vale, but it's an opportunity, so I'm trying to get PUMPED.

best of luck to you!! keeping my fingers crossed and sending constant well wishes your way!

sometimesIwonder

New

Post by sometimesIwonder » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:14 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:Got an interview for a jerb this week. The pay is terrible, I'd have to move, and it's a term position so I wouldn't really be totally out of the Vale, but it's an opportunity, so I'm trying to get PUMPED.
What's the pay?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lsatextreme

Silver

Post by lsatextreme » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:23 am

So...is everyone still just mass mailing?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:37 am

Picked up two interviews. Unfortunately, one I think is w/ a firm that I had interviewed w/ a year ago that seemed more interested in how I and my school did at OCI than me. The other is public fellowship program w/ a county atty over skype. Crossing my fingers for myself and others here, including Pretzel.

Pretzel_Logic

Platinum

Post by Pretzel_Logic » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:39 am

sometimesIwonder wrote:
What's the pay?
$26K for a state court judicial clerkship :/

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:50 am

Pretzel_Logic wrote:
sometimesIwonder wrote:
What's the pay?
$26K for a state court judicial clerkship :/
I hope that's in a low cost of living area.

But GOOD LUCK

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:48 pm

Hey it's something Pretz. Good luck.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:49 pm

Bikeflip wrote:Hey it's something Pretz. Good luck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:07 pm

Rejected at every single PD office I applied and interviewed for. After every second round interview offices avoid me like the plague. This is all I want to do, and if I can't get a PD job I'm not sure I want to be a lawyer. I hate myself right now so much because every office tells me how great my experience is and then boom interview happens and nothing. I'm just tainted fruit I guess. Will likely have to keep my retail job after graduation to support myself...:(

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Rejected at every single PD office I applied and interviewed for. After every second round interview offices avoid me like the plague. This is all I want to do, and if I can't get a PD job I'm not sure I want to be a lawyer. I hate myself right now so much because every office tells me how great my experience is and then boom interview happens and nothing. I'm just tainted fruit I guess. Will likely have to keep my retail job after graduation to support myself...:(
Just remember that the vast majority of PDs offices in this country hire post bar. As do private criminal defense firms (though, as you know, opportunities there are more limited).

So... wait it out, and things will improve.

Maybe you should call a few of the offices and figure out what you did wrong so you can correct that post bar? I'm sure one or two of them would be willing to lay it out for you.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”