The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dusters

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby dusters » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
dusters wrote:After getting no offers from OCI, mass mailing hundreds of firms with hardly any responses, getting no offers from my 5 clerkship interviews after 200 applications, and graduating in December and not being able to enjoy the experience, I have finally secured legal employment in a smallish firm that pays well. Man does it feel good. Keep on hunting everyone, you CAN do this. It won't be fun, and it is going to take a TON of work, but it is possible to find meaningful legal employment during your 3L year or after graduation.

Congrats! How did you get the job? By mass-mailing?

It was a posting on my career services job board. I got literally nothing from mass mailing. Applied to 100+ firms both 2L and 3L year with 0 interviews.

proleteriate

Postby proleteriate » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:13 pm

Sprout wrote:Checking in. Had a friend get a unicorn job and escape the vale recently. Clinging to the idea there is still hope. Wanted to share.

Sorry, im unfamiliar, what constitutes a unicorn job?

Sprout

Postby Sprout » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:01 pm

proleteriate wrote:
Sprout wrote:Checking in. Had a friend get a unicorn job and escape the vale recently. Clinging to the idea there is still hope. Wanted to share.

Sorry, im unfamiliar, what constitutes a unicorn job?

I'm not really sure. I don't know TLS much. I know it in context.

Basically, I think a unicorn job is a job that seems too good to be true; namely: (i) comprising the realistic/obtainable fulfillment of happiness while also providing financial security; (ii) really unlikely (and/or difficult) to personally obtain; (iii) really rare to come by (think persistence PLUS luck of the draw/chance). That is my understanding.

F if I know though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:17 pm

When should a 3L have a job lined up? Whats the time frame on this. Finishing my 2L year, and mild moderate panic is starting to keep in. Doesnt help that I asked a kid who was a 3L in my class when he got his offer. His reply: " summer of 2L" .

How does a 3L MM firms? Just asking if they have positions open?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:26 pm

Wrong thread. Apologies.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:19 pm

I am in a bit of a difficult situation here.

I worked in house my 2L summer (in house was always the goal) in a different market from my law school. It was my desired market at the time, but after my summer I decided that I would rather live in my law school market. I had an offer from my summer position.

I decided to start looking for positions in my home market and accepted another in house position. I was told it was a permanent position and everything sounded great. I turned town my 2L summer position offer and accepted the position in my home market.

About a month ago I was told the company might not have the finances to justify a permanent position. This leaves me sort of in no mans land.

Now my options are to remain with this company and hope they can justify keeping me on (I don't have a definitive answer one way or the other but doesn't sound good) or

I have another offer for a semi non-legal position.

This offer is essentially a business role with a retail/distribution company as a vendor relationships manager with a minor emphasis on small in house counsel activities (they don't have any in house counsel). This position is with people I know and trust on a personal level and pays the same/slightly more than the in house position (~90-100k base).

I guess I am here to get people's opinions. I am pretty eager to leave the first company as I feel betrayed. They incentivised me to knowingly leave my current offer with the promise of a permanent position and then reneged on the deal. Even if they did keep me on post bar I would never feel secure in my job. But at the same time i am hesitant to take the business role as I would essentially be leaving the law more or less and will feel stupid for having spent 150k on a legal education, and would probably have a very hard time every making the switch back into a legal position down the road if need be.

For reference 3L t30 school top 1/3rd.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:14 pm

OP from above. I guess I should clarify as to why I am posting this in the vale. I am here because my third option (which is a realistic possibility) is to reject the business offer, wait out the in house offer and find out sometime this summer that they cant keep me and then I will be in the vale.

Return to “Legal Employment”