The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:39 pm

andythefir wrote: I'm sorry you're in that position, but why not apply to other kinds of law? If you're flexible re which kind of law and where, I'm sure you'll find work somewhere.
I've been mass mailing for basically everything without any feedback but basically all of my qualifications are for this one area of the law. I totally regret going to law school. By far the worst decision of my life.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:49 pm

Legal hiring after law school isn't much fun!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:Legal hiring after law school isn't much fun!
:cry: Can completely relate!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:23 pm

My career services office is now ignoring my emails. I get lots of emails asking for money though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:36 pm

Has anyone else found that firms seem to move a lot slower your 3L year than your 2L year. A Big law firm did 3L OCI at my school over a month ago, called back four of us, and three and a half weeks later has not gotten back to ANY of us. Another big law firm took two weeks to contact me for a callback. Is this the norm in 3L hiring?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone else found that firms seem to move a lot slower your 3L year than your 2L year. A Big law firm did 3L OCI at my school over a month ago, called back four of us, and three and a half weeks later has not gotten back to ANY of us. Another big law firm took two weeks to contact me for a callback. Is this the norm in 3L hiring?
I have no idea what it's like for "big law," but 3ls are graduating and prepping for the bar. The jobs are different than your run of the mill summer internship or clerk job. In my field, I'm pretty much in a hurry up and wait for bar results kind of mode my entire 3l. Gubm't jobs and all.

Tlsftw44

New

Post by Tlsftw44 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:57 am

d
Last edited by Tlsftw44 on Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:47 am

Tlsftw44 wrote:Help. I'm working as a state attorney in Florida and want to get a better job.
This is not the thread for you
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone else found that firms seem to move a lot slower your 3L year than your 2L year. A Big law firm did 3L OCI at my school over a month ago, called back four of us, and three and a half weeks later has not gotten back to ANY of us. Another big law firm took two weeks to contact me for a callback. Is this the norm in 3L hiring?
I have no idea what it's like for "big law," but 3ls are graduating and prepping for the bar. The jobs are different than your run of the mill summer internship or clerk job. In my field, I'm pretty much in a hurry up and wait for bar results kind of mode my entire 3l. Gubm't jobs and all.
This makes no sense. 3Ls are not prepping for the bar right now, graduation is eight months away. Also, government jobs are not waiting for bar passage to hire 3Ls. Honors interviews are happening now. What does this even mean?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
This makes no sense. 3Ls are not prepping for the bar right now, graduation is eight months away. Also, government jobs are not waiting for bar passage to hire 3Ls. Honors interviews are happening now. What does this even mean?
State PD/DA jobs often don't hire till people have bar passage. Mostly I think the two first posts are comparing apples and oranges, though.

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:38 pm

While I agree with Nony, one the of the best ways to get your foot into the door for DA/PD jobs is to intern/student practice act/volunteer for those offices. Many offices hire from the intern pool before looking at outside candidates. May not apply to other govt jobs or firms. But every place is different.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:20 pm

My CSO is beyond worthless.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:13 pm

Anyone else feeling a bit down today? I am graduating soon and have absolutely nothing lined up. My goal was to practice corporate law, but it seems as though that door is completely shut at this point. Most the job postings I see are usually DA or public interest, but honestly, I have no passion for that type of thing. I have been thinking to maybe try and use my law degree to get my foot in the door at a bank or something. They probably are more interested in someone with a business degree. Even if I got that type of job though, it would kinda hurt going through law school and never actually practicing law. Guess I don't know what to do at this point.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Damage Over Time

Silver

Post by Damage Over Time » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else feeling a bit down today? I am graduating soon and have absolutely nothing lined up. My goal was to practice corporate law, but it seems as though that door is completely shut at this point. Most the job postings I see are usually DA or public interest, but honestly, I have no passion for that type of thing. I have been thinking to maybe try and use my law degree to get my foot in the door at a bank or something. They probably are more interested in someone with a business degree. Even if I got that type of job though, it would kinda hurt going through law school and never actually practicing law. Guess I don't know what to do at this point.
One of my friends from school 3L year was in this position. He found an opening for a compliance gig on monster.com (or some similar site), interviewed, got it, worked there for a year or two, then got a job as VP at a bank near his hometown (New England suburbia). He seems pretty happy, and his hours seems pretty humane.

Hang in there!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:01 pm

How do people even get through post-grad unemployment? During 3L and bar prep, at least I can fill my days with work and take my mind off of how gloomy the future looks. Now that I've graduated and (fortunately) passed the bar, unemployment is staring at me right in the face. I've been exercising pretty regularly and have a part-time gig, which takes up some of my time but most of the week I'm honestly just sitting around and doing nothing, which is driving me nuts. I mean I can't possibly look for jobs and write cover letters all day long. If nothing else, I feel that the past one year and a half has taken some serious toll on my mental health and I've never had such a low opinion of myself. Even going out of my apartment can be a struggle on bad days because I always need to keep up a happy and positive facade to cover up the fact that I feel like absolute crap and it just gets completely exhausting after a while. Sorry if this is all a bit depressing and I know negativity is probably the last thing this thread needs but I just desperately need some affirmation from people who have been through this that there's light at the other end of the tunnel... :shock:

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:16 pm

Damage Over Time wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else feeling a bit down today? I am graduating soon and have absolutely nothing lined up. My goal was to practice corporate law, but it seems as though that door is completely shut at this point. Most the job postings I see are usually DA or public interest, but honestly, I have no passion for that type of thing. I have been thinking to maybe try and use my law degree to get my foot in the door at a bank or something. They probably are more interested in someone with a business degree. Even if I got that type of job though, it would kinda hurt going through law school and never actually practicing law. Guess I don't know what to do at this point.
One of my friends from school 3L year was in this position. He found an opening for a compliance gig on monster.com (or some similar site), interviewed, got it, worked there for a year or two, then got a job as VP at a bank near his hometown (New England suburbia). He seems pretty happy, and his hours seems pretty humane.

Hang in there!
Anecdotally have friends who did similar things. Basically they just job spammed HR, Labor Relations, and Compliance jobs (anywhere) and ended up getting hits on some actually pretty damn good jobs. Might be a good strategy if you don't want to practice law per se FWIW.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:17 pm

Out of the vale! Position at one of the big 4 in a practice group primarily filled w/ JD's. 80-90k.

Thanks everyone for all of the support and advice throughout the years. Hang in there, if it happened for me, it can happen for anybody!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Out of the vale! Position at one of the big 4 in a practice group primarily filled w/ JD's. 80-90k.

Thanks everyone for all of the support and advice throughout the years. Hang in there, if it happened for me, it can happen for anybody!
Can I PM you about this?

hifromtheotherside

New

Post by hifromtheotherside » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:29 pm

Sure! Anything I can do to help.
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Out of the vale! Position at one of the big 4 in a practice group primarily filled w/ JD's. 80-90k.

Can I PM you about this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How do people even get through post-grad unemployment? During 3L and bar prep, at least I can fill my days with work and take my mind off of how gloomy the future looks. Now that I've graduated and (fortunately) passed the bar, unemployment is staring at me right in the face. I've been exercising pretty regularly and have a part-time gig, which takes up some of my time but most of the week I'm honestly just sitting around and doing nothing, which is driving me nuts. I mean I can't possibly look for jobs and write cover letters all day long. If nothing else, I feel that the past one year and a half has taken some serious toll on my mental health and I've never had such a low opinion of myself. Even going out of my apartment can be a struggle on bad days because I always need to keep up a happy and positive facade to cover up the fact that I feel like absolute crap and it just gets completely exhausting after a while. Sorry if this is all a bit depressing and I know negativity is probably the last thing this thread needs but I just desperately need some affirmation from people who have been through this that there's light at the other end of the tunnel... :shock:
I'm in the same boat you are. I've stopped pretending to be ok. This is my personal nightmare and I'm done caring who knows it. I feel like shit every moment of every day.

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How do people even get through post-grad unemployment? During 3L and bar prep, at least I can fill my days with work and take my mind off of how gloomy the future looks. Now that I've graduated and (fortunately) passed the bar, unemployment is staring at me right in the face. I've been exercising pretty regularly and have a part-time gig, which takes up some of my time but most of the week I'm honestly just sitting around and doing nothing, which is driving me nuts. I mean I can't possibly look for jobs and write cover letters all day long. If nothing else, I feel that the past one year and a half has taken some serious toll on my mental health and I've never had such a low opinion of myself. Even going out of my apartment can be a struggle on bad days because I always need to keep up a happy and positive facade to cover up the fact that I feel like absolute crap and it just gets completely exhausting after a while. Sorry if this is all a bit depressing and I know negativity is probably the last thing this thread needs but I just desperately need some affirmation from people who have been through this that there's light at the other end of the tunnel... :shock:
I'm in the same boat you are. I've stopped pretending to be ok. This is my personal nightmare and I'm done caring who knows it. I feel like shit every moment of every day.
I'm sorry you're going through that. What kinds of jobs are you applying to?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:29 pm

andythefir wrote:
Patent, but I'd be willing to do literally anything at this point.

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
andythefir wrote:
Patent, but I'd be willing to do literally anything at this point.
New Mexico's 5th DA is down bodies in both Carlsbad and Hobbs. The 11th is also hiring: https://www.nmbar.org/NmbarDocs/PubRes/ ... -10-25.pdf. If you've passed a UBE exam, you've passed New Mexico's bar. If you haven't, you can work for a year in public interest without bar passage.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:19 pm

Does anyone know about the hiring time-lime for entry-level compliance jobs? Do they usually consider 3Ls or do you need to graduate first? Are these jobs usually attained after or during law school?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:16 pm

Finally out of the vale! Got bar results yesterday and job offer today! Keep your heads up and keep applying. Best of luck to everyone!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”