The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Mick Haller

Silver

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by Mick Haller » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:29 pm

chrisbru wrote:
sirpartner82 wrote:

blahblahblah

Welcome to reality.
I mean, in my hometown of Des Moines, the midsize (10-25) ID firms pay first year associates $60-$70k, and those associates work <50 hours a week unless a big case is coming up. So... Your bullshit isn't true everywhere.
Yeah, my experience as well on west coast. Mid size ID starts at 70-80k, hours are 40-50 per week (it's not that hard to bill close to 1:1 per hour at the office in this field). There's not a lot of legal research in ID, but again, it's a great legal job when you consider 50%+ are not getting legal jobs period.

I am very happy with my ID job.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:00 pm

My problem with ID or foreclosure stuff isn't the money or the preftige, it's that the work is really, really repetitive and simple for the most part.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:02 pm

SBL wrote:My problem with ID or foreclosure stuff isn't the money or the preftige, it's that the work is really, really repetitive and simple for the most part.
Yeah... But at least ID lawyers aren't totally poor and buried under their law school debt and can enjoy their life outside of work for the most part.

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:29 pm

SBL wrote:My problem with ID or foreclosure stuff isn't the money or the preftige, it's that the work is really, really repetitive and simple for the most part.
This is true, but there also seem to be decent exit options if you do good work and make some connections. We have had two or three associates bolt for biglaw firms just in this calendar year.

I'll ride it out as long as I can and get loans paid off, then reevaluate. I'd love to stay here and make partner but it's a long shot.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:53 pm

My job may or may not lead to post grad employment depending on their hiring needs in 2014 (they are already planning on hiring 4 more attorneys, but generally would prefer more expereinced attorneys), and I won't find out either way until 2014.

I figure it's time I jump on this wagon.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:56 pm

JenDarby wrote:My job may or may not lead to post grad employment depending on their hiring needs in 2014 (they are already planning on hiring 4 more attorneys, but generally would prefer more expereinced attorneys), and I won't find out either way until 2014.

Welcome

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:58 pm

Everyone here should apply to be the Dean of SMU Law, which is on our Symplicity.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:02 pm

kalvano wrote:Everyone here should apply to be the Dean of SMU Law, which is on our Symplicity.
Lulz

Screenshot plz

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:04 pm

My friend who graduated last year from a T-30 and now works at a small firm (found after gruadtion)ended up the Dean of a TTTT for a few months lol. They needed a dean, he had a law degree, and he ramdonly met someone with a stake in the school. Appointed!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:04 pm

kalvano wrote:Everyone here should apply to be the Dean of SMU Law, which is on our Symplicity.
Post it and I'll apply.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:11 pm

Pretty sweet jerb for any aspiring employee benefits/tax bros out there. I'd apply, but I didn't really take anything beyond basic tax (which was like my worst class).
Employee Benefits & Tax Attorney
for Porter Wright Morris & Arthur LLP

in Columbus, OH

Porter Wright Morris & Arthur, a large national law firm headquartered in Columbus, Ohio, is searching for a young associate to join our Employee Benefits & Tax Practice Group. The position is for our Columbus office.

Ideal candidate would be an Ohio barred attorney with 1 to 2 years of basic practice experience/knowledge in facets of employee benefits, executive compensation, pension plans, tax and general corporate matters. An LLM in Taxation would be a plus.

We would also be interested in recent law school graduates (class of 2013 who are studying for the Ohio Bar Exam)and who have an interest in Employee Benefits and Tax and have concentrated much of their law school learning in Corporate and Tax classes.

If interested, please apply via mail or email as per below by sending a cover letter, resume and law school transcript to:

David G. Zimmerman
Porter Wright Morris & Arthur
41 South High Street
Columbus, OH 43215

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:18 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:20 pm

ajax adonis wrote:
JenDarby wrote:My friend who graduated last year from a T-30 and now works at a small firm (found after gruadtion)ended up the Dean of a TTTT for a few months lol. They needed a dean, he had a law degree, and he ramdonly met someone with a stake in the school. Appointed!
That is unreal.
He resigned because he didn't have time to deal with all the complaints and what not that came with it. :lol: Oh, and I am pretty sure they weren't paying him and were running into some actual legal issues he didn't want to be involved with.

Unrelated, it's really funny trying to explain to my bf how dim 3L job prospects are. I've told him the 3L OCI numbers and he still won't believe me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:45 pm

JenDarby wrote:My job may or may not lead to post grad employment depending on their hiring needs in 2014 (they are already planning on hiring 4 more attorneys, but generally would prefer more expereinced attorneys), and I won't find out either way until 2014.

If they don't want you part-time during the year, look for somewhere to work during the year (or two places to work at, if you want to be crazy like I was during 3L).

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:47 pm

beach_terror wrote:

If they don't want you part-time during the year, look for somewhere to work during the year (or two places to work at, if you want to be crazy like I was during 3L).
One attorney told me week 3 that they really liked my work and there was a very good chance for part time 3L work. If that doesn't pan out I definitely intend to try and find smoething else. My hope is obviously that if I work 3L, then they hire in 2014, my year of experience with the firm might makeup for my overall lack of experieince. I am also taking classes that are all geared toward the work they do (which was my plan either way).

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:02 pm

Same situation, but smaller firm it sounds like. The last clerk they hired wasn't offered until 6 months or so after he passed the bar, but they are "seeing a lot more work coming in." Was super optimistic... Until they started interviewing 2013 grads the last few weeks :/

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:05 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Lulz

Screenshot plz

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:10 pm

Dude

That's awesome

You gotta apply

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:11 pm

Also plz forward that to ATL

Joe Quincy

Bronze

Post by Joe Quincy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:14 pm

kalvano wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Lulz

Screenshot plz

.[/img]
Please tell me Symplicity pulls this stuff from some master legal jobs database at some company and they didn't purposefully advertise this there?

Also, nice google search for rad lulz...lol. And I love USAA.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:20 pm

:lol:

bro this is off topic but did you know you can save bookmarks without a name? if you save nameless bookmarks to your bookmark toolbar, you can save more links on your toolbar (and it looks cleaner, imo). i'm sure you can recognize the links just by the icon anyway.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:25 pm

soj wrote::lol:

bro this is off topic but did you know you can save bookmarks without a name? if you save nameless bookmarks to your bookmark toolbar, you can save more links on your toolbar (and it looks cleaner, imo). i'm sure you can recognize the links just by the icon anyway.

I like the names. I'm old-fashioned.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:31 pm

Joe Quincy wrote:
kalvano wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Lulz

Screenshot plz

.[/img]
Please tell me Symplicity pulls this stuff from some master legal jobs database at some company and they didn't purposefully advertise this there?

Also, nice google search for rad lulz...lol. And I love USAA.

No, they have to add everything to Symplicity on their end. But I'm on the graduate Symplicity page, which means I see stuff not just for new grads, but I also see things for people with 10+ years experience. SMU allows alumni who are looking for a new job access to Symplicity at any time, I believe.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:46 pm

Joining the vale. Question re: Symplicity. I know the postings there are probably useless but is it too early to be submitting things when I'm just about to start 3L?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:47 pm

Postings on Symplicity are actually your best bet. Apply to anything that looks even remotely promising.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”