The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
andythefir

Silver

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by andythefir » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:12 pm

mazatec wrote: andythefir, do you know anything about hiring for NM's public defender offices? The earliest I can take the NM bar is February 2018.
PD hiring is way more centralized, it happens through a central state commission. You get some say in where you go, which usually takes the form of people flatly refusing to go to Hobbs/Farmington. The lack of PDs in rural NM made the NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/29/us/n ... rtage.html. The shortage is not because there's no funding: it's because attorneys would rather be unemployed than be geographically flexible.

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So it looks like we wouldn't be able to apply for these rural NM DA/PD jobs until we pass the bar aka we should shoot for our desired job in our desired market, and if that fails apply in NM (around September-ish)?
Kinda, if you're a hot prospect/the office is authentically desperate DAs offices may bring you on as a "clerk" while you study for the bar. I was hired in March of my 3L year.

Also, if you're working in public interest (DA/PD offices count), you can work immediately if you've passed a bar anywhere. Wherever you are, I'd bet there are jobs if you're willing to go to the armpits of the region. Then you can get experience and leverage it back to your target market.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:17 pm

Anyone successfully gotten a job doing supervised work in Texas pending bar passage? I know it's a legal thing there, but is it really a thing outside of large law firms?

iliketurtles123

Bronze

Post by iliketurtles123 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone successfully gotten a job doing supervised work in Texas pending bar passage? I know it's a legal thing there, but is it really a thing outside of large law firms?
Not in Texas but I know people who have gotten this type of work.
It's mainly a large law firm type thing because of finances/budget

mazatec

New

Post by mazatec » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:43 am

I know of a clerkship opening in NJ for the 2017-18 term. PM me if interested.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:47 pm

mazatec wrote:I know of a clerkship opening in NJ for the 2017-18 term. PM me if interested.
I tried to PM you but couldn't-- I think you might need to change your settings. Thank you!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:47 pm

mazatec wrote:I know of a clerkship opening in NJ for the 2017-18 term. PM me if interested.
I tried to PM you but couldn't-- I think you might need to change your settings. Thank you!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:58 pm

Just got out of the vale!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just got out of the vale!
F yes, man!!! Go party.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:17 pm

Do we know any other states like NM that are in dire need of DAs/PDs?

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do we know any other states like NM that are in dire need of DAs/PDs?
You don't like NM?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:08 pm

If I am admitted in a different state than NM, any chance they would consider/hire me? What's the starting salary in NM as a PD/ DA?

NormiesGetOut

New

Post by NormiesGetOut » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:04 pm

Last edited by NormiesGetOut on Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:29 pm

NormiesGetOut wrote:Transactional unemployed 3l CCN student here joining the vale.
I was no offered by my 2L firm.

kill me fam
Nah, man. You got time. Mass mail like crazy. You got this.

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:34 pm

Checking in. Had a friend get a unicorn job and escape the vale recently. Clinging to the idea there is still hope. Wanted to share.

NormiesGetOut

New

Post by NormiesGetOut » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:54 pm

Last edited by NormiesGetOut on Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:03 pm

zot1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do we know any other states like NM that are in dire need of DAs/PDs?
You don't like NM?
To answer the question directly, I would bet almost every state has corners that are under-lawyered. New Mexico just happens to be poor, under-educated, and geographically big enough that the outcome is stark. I post on this thread because the general tenor is "no one is getting any jobs anywhere," which is just not true. It's true for big firms and big, desirable cities, sure. If you won't consider moving from those 2 commitments, then you may be in trouble. As far as finding jobs, your worst bets would probably be states where the for profit schools spill over (Midwest, Northeast, Pacific West), and your best bets would probably be in the Mountain West (New Mexico, Wyoming, Idaho, the Dakotas).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If I am admitted in a different state than NM, any chance they would consider/hire me? What's the starting salary in NM as a PD/ DA?
If you've passed the bar anywhere, you can start working immediately in New Mexico in public interest. It's true that you'll be less competitive than someone who is more likely to stick around because they're from somewhere close, but when yours is literally the only resume up for consideration (true of 80% or so of the hiring decisions I participated in), that matters a lot less. Pay is $45-50 starting, with irregular raises to $60-75, where most people plateau. If you stick around for a looooong time you can make $100-110 as chief of an office. All salaries in the state are listed on New Mexico's sunshine portal.

Pulling together everything I know, rural New Mexico prosecution is one of the best places to start a career. You'll get unbelievable trial experience, crazy autonomy, work towards 10 year loan forgiveness, make solid money in a cheap part of the world, and make a major difference in people's lives. It's a place to stay for 18-36 months, then get out before bad management, plateauing pay, and diminishing returns on experience make it a lot less fun. After roughly 2 years I left with a resume that said "deputy DA who performed 70 trials, including 20 felony jury trials. Felony trial experience includes drug crime, property crime, violent crime, and sexual violence."

dusters

Bronze

Post by dusters » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:59 pm

After getting no offers from OCI, mass mailing hundreds of firms with hardly any responses, getting no offers from my 5 clerkship interviews after 200 applications, and graduating in December and not being able to enjoy the experience, I have finally secured legal employment in a smallish firm that pays well. Man does it feel good. Keep on hunting everyone, you CAN do this. It won't be fun, and it is going to take a TON of work, but it is possible to find meaningful legal employment during your 3L year or after graduation.
Last edited by dusters on Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:02 pm

dusters wrote:After getting no offers from OCI, mass mailing hundreds of firms with hardly any responses, etting no offers from my 5 clerkship interviews after 200 applications, and graduating in December and not being able to enjoy the experience, I have finally secured legal employment in a smallish firm that pays well. Man does it feel good. Keep on hunting everyone, you CAN do this. It won't be fun, and it is going to take a TON of work, but it is possible to find meaningful legal employment during your 3L year or after graduation.
Congrats, Dusters! You're certainly luckier than some. Go get a beer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:18 pm

dusters wrote:After getting no offers from OCI, mass mailing hundreds of firms with hardly any responses, getting no offers from my 5 clerkship interviews after 200 applications, and graduating in December and not being able to enjoy the experience, I have finally secured legal employment in a smallish firm that pays well. Man does it feel good. Keep on hunting everyone, you CAN do this. It won't be fun, and it is going to take a TON of work, but it is possible to find meaningful legal employment during your 3L year or after graduation.
Congrats! How did you get the job? By mass-mailing?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:19 pm

Anyone successfully gotten a job around this time of year after graduating from law school BY MASS-MAILING TO BIGLAW?

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:23 pm

x
Last edited by TheFutureLawyer on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:17 pm

http://www.phila.gov/personnel/jobs/exe ... itySol.pdf

Not 100% sure they'd consider a current 3L due to the timing of hiring (can't hurt to try though!), but here is an entry-level opportunity for someone who has passed the PA bar and is looking for a litigation oriented job. Hope it interests someone.

dusters

Bronze

Post by dusters » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
dusters wrote:After getting no offers from OCI, mass mailing hundreds of firms with hardly any responses, getting no offers from my 5 clerkship interviews after 200 applications, and graduating in December and not being able to enjoy the experience, I have finally secured legal employment in a smallish firm that pays well. Man does it feel good. Keep on hunting everyone, you CAN do this. It won't be fun, and it is going to take a TON of work, but it is possible to find meaningful legal employment during your 3L year or after graduation.
Congrats! How did you get the job? By mass-mailing?
It was a posting on my career services job board. I got literally nothing from mass mailing. Applied to 100+ firms both 2L and 3L year with 0 interviews.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”