The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:34 pm

rad lulz wrote:
nevdash wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:I'm top 20%. I'm in the Vale. :(
Job searching is a microcosm of society as a whole. Searching for a job during OCI is like a normally-functioning society. You can walk into a grocery store and hand the cashier little pieces of paper with green ink on them, and the cashier will hand you food in return. If somebody is squatting in your apartment, you can show the police a piece of paper with your landlord's signature and the police will remove the person for you. Once you step into the vale of tears, it's like a post-apocalyptic world. It's no longer about who possesses the right pieces of paper, but about who can scrounge and claw and scrape in order to survive. Just like your printed money means nothing in the post-apocalyptic world, your grades mean nothing in the vale. Whatever you have printed on a piece of paper is meaningless.
Pretty much

My grades and PREFTIGIOUS school meant SO much less when I was in the Vale
I went to a T-30ish school (so, TTT basically [srs]) and when I was in the Vale, I thought that was the worst decision I ever made. Now that I have a jerb lined up, I'm so fucking pumped I didn't take out more loans to go to a better school. Brospective is everything.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:25 pm

Yo have you guys decided what bar you're taking yet or signed up for any course?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yo have you guys decided what bar you're taking yet or signed up for any course?
Barmax UBE course, which a friend gave me a discount link for. It's cheap and I don't think I'll fail the UBE even without physical classes to go to. Honestly even if I could afford barbri I probably would have just done the app from home anyway. It's under $400 if you are doing public interest and $700 if not.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yo have you guys decided what bar you're taking yet or signed up for any course?
Barmax UBE course, which a friend gave me a discount link for. It's cheap and I don't think I'll fail the UBE even without physical classes to go to. Honestly even if I could afford barbri I probably would have just done the app from home anyway.
Did you know you could ask for money off Barbri? I don't have much debt, but I got $600 off for being "involved with the law school" and some friends got $800.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:50 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Barmax UBE course, which a friend gave me a discount link for. It's cheap and I don't think I'll fail the UBE even without physical classes to go to. Honestly even if I could afford barbri I probably would have just done the app from home anyway.
Did you know you could ask for money off Barbri? I don't have much debt, but I got $600 off for being "involved with the law school" and some friends got $800.

Really? That's awesome, how'd you go about doing that? Is it an easy process to go through in terms of getting a discount?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Really? That's awesome, how'd you go about doing that? Is it an easy process to go through in terms of getting a discount?
This is relevant to my interests as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:11 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
i did the same thing and got 300$ off.

Just call the contact number with Barbri. Tell the rep ur account# and they will email you an application form to reduce the tuition. Fill out the form and write a personal statement and email them back, you will get your discount.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:44 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
yeah but I got an entire course for $700, which was still better than any barbri discount I could find.

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:32 am

For those of you PI oriented, Themis is allowing you to buy their course for $1000 or so, and if you pay up by Apr 1, you'll get another $150 off.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:03 am

Actually Themis wont combine discounts so you do not get the PI Scholly along with the $150 off for signing up prior to April but the Pi scholly alone knocks it down to $1010 with shipping and everything so thats a pretty good deal. Thats what I am going with right now.

FSCU25

New

Post by FSCU25 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:00 am

All of the companies are willing to work with you during this time of year when they are trying to make as many sales as possible. I know Themis reps are allowed to go down to at least $950 (possibly lower).

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
i did the same thing and got 300$ off.

Just call the contact number with Barbri. Tell the rep ur account# and they will email you an application form to reduce the tuition. Fill out the form and write a personal statement and email them back, you will get your discount.
Yeah, this. You fill out a tuition assistance form with your Barbri rep, their supervisor marks down your name (and don't read your statement at all), and then there is a 10 minute meeting where they ask you to rehash your statement and boom... money.

deebs

Bronze

Post by deebs » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:53 pm

I deposited at kaplan, and if I want to keep my price ($1800), I have to do that in a few days. Are you guys getting better deals than that? I'm going to have to call and try to negotiate if so.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

studebaker07

Bronze

Post by studebaker07 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:40 pm

Not to change the direction of this thread from Bar Exam discussion back to job hunting, but I am hoping I won't be in the vale after today's callback interview. Hoping the outcome is good!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:07 pm

I have a second round interview next week with a small law firm. Pay wouldn't be bad and I would have a lot of autonomy. Plus I am guessing it would have flexible hours.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:24 pm

Out of nowhere I've got a callback / second-round panel interview coming up with a legal services office for a permanent staff attorney position. It's one of the bigger legal services offices in the country and they do interesting (and meaningful) work. Pretty psyched since it's litigation-focused and you're running your own cases from the first day. I had written this off, because the interview was months ago and I had not heard a peep from them since. I was more than a little surprised to get a call looking to set up another interview.

This is probably my last opportunity to leave the Vale before hunkering down for the bar exam. My sense is that by that point, most employers will be waiting for me to be admitted.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:26 pm

Same anon as above. I should mention too that I'm deposited with Themis. They have a ridiculous (over 90%) pass rate for my school. Plus I got a sweet PI discount.

I won't be missing the stress BarBri puts people through.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:56 pm

Ford Marrin in NYC is hiring 3Ls and new grads. Pay is below market (120K I think). From people I know that work/worked there, Hours are reasonable for NYC. Mostly insurance coverage, some more sophisticated commercial lit depending on who you work for. Generally hire Law Review kids from non-elite schools.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:43 pm

I've been stopping through every once in a while to look at this thread, but have avoided saying anything up until this point. Now I think I have to.

After getting three more rejections today from small firms in the area where I grew up, I'm just so depressed. This is seriously getting to the point where it all feels hopeless. I'm in the top 25% at a T10, struck out at OCI, and ended up working in a litigation-based gov/PI position last summer. I've been hustling so much this year trying to network, applying to every listed position that comes up on Symplicity, and going into career services regularly to do mock interviews and try to perfect my resume and cover letter.

It's so hard not to feel bitter and confused. I've worked my ass off to be where I am right now and I just feel like I'm stuck with $200K in debt and nothing to show for it. I'd like to think that I'm a personable guy, and I KNOW I'm qualified for these positions. For the life of me, I just can't figure out what could have gone wrong that has put me in this position. I didn't come to law school to get rich, but I never thought I'd be facing unemployment and poverty. All I really want is for someone out there to recognize my potential.

Anyways, sorry to randomly and anonymously vent, and good luck to everyone else out there.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've been stopping through every once in a while to look at this thread, but have avoided saying anything up until this point. Now I think I have to.

After getting three more rejections today from small firms in the area where I grew up, I'm just so depressed. This is seriously getting to the point where it all feels hopeless. I'm in the top 25% at a T10, struck out at OCI, and ended up working in a litigation-based gov/PI position last summer. I've been hustling so much this year trying to network, applying to every listed position that comes up on Symplicity, and going into career services regularly to do mock interviews and try to perfect my resume and cover letter.

It's so hard not to feel bitter and confused. I've worked my ass off to be where I am right now and I just feel like I'm stuck with $200K in debt and nothing to show for it. I'd like to think that I'm a personable guy, and I KNOW I'm qualified for these positions. For the life of me, I just can't figure out what could have gone wrong that has put me in this position. I didn't come to law school to get rich, but I never thought I'd be facing unemployment and poverty. All I really want is for someone out there to recognize my potential.

Anyways, sorry to randomly and anonymously vent, and good luck to everyone else out there.
The whole point of this thread is to randomly and anonymously vent bro

The feeling is not unique, and though a shitton of people at your school have offers, you're not alone

Chin up and keep applying man

I'm not gonna bullshit you and say it's all gonna be okay, but you sound like a hard worker who knows what's going on, and you're going the best you can.

There's something to be said for just doing the best you can

nevdash

Bronze

Post by nevdash » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm in the top 25% at a T10
jfc, the Veil knows no mercy. Just keep grinding, bro, and remember that the world isn't conspiring against you.

Also, thanks to everyone above who mentioned the Barbri thing. I stopped by yesterday and filled out the form. Hoping for big money no whammies.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:11 pm

Is anyone else forgoing a bar course and studying alone? I have books and stuff and even a $1000 Themis course would be tough for me now financially given the state of my bank account. I know most people take bar courses, but how much value is there beyond what's in the books? Just wondering.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is anyone else forgoing a bar course and studying alone? I have books and stuff and even a $1000 Themis course would be tough for me now financially given the state of my bank account. I know most people take bar courses, but how much value is there beyond what's in the books? Just wondering.
I feel confident enough to do the cheapest possible iphone-app only course, but not to forgo a course all together. It's definitely possible though. I think you're buying yourself a little less stress and a little more reassurance when you go with the course. Though if you're taking NY or CA, I would feel more nervous.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is anyone else forgoing a bar course and studying alone? I have books and stuff and even a $1000 Themis course would be tough for me now financially given the state of my bank account. I know most people take bar courses, but how much value is there beyond what's in the books? Just wondering.
My good friend self-studied for three bar exams and passed each one. He is not a genius, just dedicated. I think it can be done.

That said, I am shelling out the money for barbri because I really need to pass on the first go-round.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:41 am

deebs wrote:I deposited at kaplan, and if I want to keep my price ($1800), I have to do that in a few days. Are you guys getting better deals than that? I'm going to have to call and try to negotiate if so.
I got a Kaplan deal at 1300, and I honestly think if I waited, I could've talked them lower. The thing is, it costs them very little to bring on additional students, and almost all of the money you give them will be pure profit. You can also use the price of Themis to try to talk them down - I basically told the lady "Look, I don't doubt that all the bells and whistles you guys have are pretty nice, but I've been taking standardized tests with very little help for a very long time now, and I've done well on all of them. I'm fairly confident that I can sign up with Themis and do fine." After that, she said she would price match Themis.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”