The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Olive83

New

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by Olive83 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:31 pm

kalvano wrote:Had coffee with a fairly recent SMU grad today (recent enough to have a realistic expectation of the job market). Made me feel better. Basically said that, yeah, it sucks right now and it makes studying for the bar super hard to do, but that they are good about placing students and in a couple years it'll be a distant memory.

Nice to hear it from someone who actually knows what they are talking about, as opposed to some boomer partner who's been making bank for 25 years and totally out of touch.
You in Dallas? I'm willing to bet you already have a lot of people with ears to the ground, but I'll shoot you a message if I hear of any openings in town if you'd like.

Also, the person you had coffee with sounds like someone with a good head on their shoulders.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:53 pm

Anyone got the current login for the BYU intercollegiate job bank?

Joe Quincy

Bronze

Post by Joe Quincy » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:11 am

TTH wrote:Anyone got the current login for the BYU intercollegiate job bank?
PMd

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:17 am

TTH wrote:Anyone got the current login for the BYU intercollegiate job bank?
http://www.phoenixlaw.edu/about/default.asp?PageID=290

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:44 am

Olive83 wrote:
kalvano wrote:Had coffee with a fairly recent SMU grad today (recent enough to have a realistic expectation of the job market). Made me feel better. Basically said that, yeah, it sucks right now and it makes studying for the bar super hard to do, but that they are good about placing students and in a couple years it'll be a distant memory.

Nice to hear it from someone who actually knows what they are talking about, as opposed to some boomer partner who's been making bank for 25 years and totally out of touch.
You in Dallas? I'm willing to bet you already have a lot of people with ears to the ground, but I'll shoot you a message if I hear of any openings in town if you'd like.

Also, the person you had coffee with sounds like someone with a good head on their shoulders.

I am, and that would be awesome. I'm really into labor and employment, but open-minded too. Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

buddingjd

New

Post by buddingjd » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
buddingjd wrote:U.S. firms with overseas offices... even worth the calls/emails as a rising 3L?
If you don't have a job, why not
Was reading some old 3L threads over the weekend and a couple of years ago a poaster networked his way to a job at an overseas office after not having an SA. Don't massmail in the general sense, though. Contact some alumni and get in that way.
Forgive my aspy-ness, but what does this look like? If they are in another country, I can't just ask to take them to lunch. Is the best way to just ask about the hiring process?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:30 am

buddingjd wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
buddingjd wrote:U.S. firms with overseas offices... even worth the calls/emails as a rising 3L?
If you don't have a job, why not
Was reading some old 3L threads over the weekend and a couple of years ago a poaster networked his way to a job at an overseas office after not having an SA. Don't massmail in the general sense, though. Contact some alumni and get in that way.
Forgive my aspy-ness, but what does this look like? If they are in another country, I can't just ask to take them to lunch. Is the best way to just ask about the hiring process?
I'm not the best person to ask but you could get on a phone call with them. What offices are you looking at?

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:26 pm

Pretty sweet jerb posting for anyone with stats enough to be competitive:
Attorney
National Security Agency (Ft. Meade, MD)
Posted: Jun 25, 2013
DIVISION N/A POSITION TYPE Full-time
COMPENSATION TYPE Annually

Employer Profile
DESCRIPTION
combat support responsibilities. The work force is comprised of both military assignees and civilian employees located worldwide. NSA's core missions are to protect U.S. national security systems and to produce foreign signals intelligence information. NSA also supports U. S. Cyber Command as it executes cyber activities.

NSA OGC has several exciting career opportunities for highly motivated entry-level and mid-level attorneys. Attorneys working in NSA OGC apply their expertise, skills, and education to protect the Agency's interest by advising clients on the gathering of foreign intelligence, protecting our nation's information systems, advancing research, advising on acquisition, administrative law and ethics issues and solving a number of other challenges not found in the private sector. They provide a full range of legal services to a variety of leaders across NSA. The advice NSA's attorneys provide is not only important for policy makers and military leaders, it is critical to our nation's security.

DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: NSA OGC is seeking highly motivated entry-level and mid-level attorneys with excellent oral and written communications skills to work in a dynamic team environment. NSA has a unique, dynamic mission and personnel with world class technical expertise. As a result, the legal expertise required of NSA's lawyers is often not in legal specialties taught in most law schools or practiced in other government agencies, in private firms, or in industry. A demonstrated ability and interest in learning new things and self confidence are required. Active State bar membership is required for all applicants except for entry-level applicants who are required to pass a bar examinations within14 months of the commencement of their employment and be duly licensed to practice as an attorney in a U.S., state, territory or the District of Columbia. NSA OGC has seven practice groups, six of which may have specific vacancies to be filled: Acquisition, Research and Technology; Administrative Law; Ethics and Fiscal Law; Litigation; Intelligence Law and Information Assurance/Cyber Security. For those applying for mid-level positions, a minimum of 2 years of legal experience is required.

Please note that this is an indirect posting. Contact the employer directly or view the original posting to learn more about the job opportunity and the employer's anti-discrimination policy.
http://grads.lawstudentjobs.net/
GEOGRAPHIC PREFERENCE
DC Area (DC, MD, VA)
DESIRED CLASS LEVEL(S)
Class of 2013, Class of 2012, Recent Grad/ 0-2 Years, Graduate/Alumni
LOCATION(S)
City
Fort Meade
State/Province
Maryland
Country
United States
COMPENSATION DETAILS

Salary is commensurate with education and experience.

Salary Range: $62,467 - $136,771
(I'm guessing they have extra need for legal help these days chucklechucklechuckle)

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:16 pm

TTH wrote:Pretty sweet jerb posting for anyone with stats enough to be competitive:
Attorney
National Security Agency (Ft. Meade, MD)
Posted: Jun 25, 2013
DIVISION N/A POSITION TYPE Full-time
COMPENSATION TYPE Annually

Employer Profile
DESCRIPTION
combat support responsibilities. The work force is comprised of both military assignees and civilian employees located worldwide. NSA's core missions are to protect U.S. national security systems and to produce foreign signals intelligence information. NSA also supports U. S. Cyber Command as it executes cyber activities.

NSA OGC has several exciting career opportunities for highly motivated entry-level and mid-level attorneys. Attorneys working in NSA OGC apply their expertise, skills, and education to protect the Agency's interest by advising clients on the gathering of foreign intelligence, protecting our nation's information systems, advancing research, advising on acquisition, administrative law and ethics issues and solving a number of other challenges not found in the private sector. They provide a full range of legal services to a variety of leaders across NSA. The advice NSA's attorneys provide is not only important for policy makers and military leaders, it is critical to our nation's security.

DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: NSA OGC is seeking highly motivated entry-level and mid-level attorneys with excellent oral and written communications skills to work in a dynamic team environment. NSA has a unique, dynamic mission and personnel with world class technical expertise. As a result, the legal expertise required of NSA's lawyers is often not in legal specialties taught in most law schools or practiced in other government agencies, in private firms, or in industry. A demonstrated ability and interest in learning new things and self confidence are required. Active State bar membership is required for all applicants except for entry-level applicants who are required to pass a bar examinations within14 months of the commencement of their employment and be duly licensed to practice as an attorney in a U.S., state, territory or the District of Columbia. NSA OGC has seven practice groups, six of which may have specific vacancies to be filled: Acquisition, Research and Technology; Administrative Law; Ethics and Fiscal Law; Litigation; Intelligence Law and Information Assurance/Cyber Security. For those applying for mid-level positions, a minimum of 2 years of legal experience is required.

Please note that this is an indirect posting. Contact the employer directly or view the original posting to learn more about the job opportunity and the employer's anti-discrimination policy.
http://grads.lawstudentjobs.net/
GEOGRAPHIC PREFERENCE
DC Area (DC, MD, VA)
DESIRED CLASS LEVEL(S)
Class of 2013, Class of 2012, Recent Grad/ 0-2 Years, Graduate/Alumni
LOCATION(S)
City
Fort Meade
State/Province
Maryland
Country
United States
COMPENSATION DETAILS

Salary is commensurate with education and experience.

Salary Range: $62,467 - $136,771
(I'm guessing they have extra need for legal help these days chucklechucklechuckle)
Dude, if you want BIGSurveillance, anything less than a FISA court clerkship is TTT.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:12 pm

rad lulz wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
bjsesq wrote:I just got called in for a meeting regarding "discussing employment further." Have already had two rounds with them. Fuck, please let this be it.
Dude

That can only be good

That's not gonna be bad

What kind of job?
Small firm, doing generalist shit. But it would pay my debt. And it's a job. God, please let this be it.
Good luck man

Let us know what happens

But keep in mind they wouldn't call you in for a meeting to reject you
More questions, so it was an actual third interview. I think I am pretty good at reading people, and one of them seemed hesitant. I don't have a good feeling about this, folks.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:18 pm

bjsesq wrote:
More questions, so it was an actual third interview. I think I am pretty good at reading people, and one of them seemed hesitant. I don't have a good feeling about this, folks.
Ahhh okay

I mean you seem like a pretty normal competent dude

So I wonder if the concern was finances

Seems to be a big concern for smaller firms when bringing on someone permanent

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:23 pm

Out of the Vale!! No a great job, but it will pay the bills (though not interest on my debt).

There is still hope out there people. Keep apply to everything you can. Best of luck to everyone still in the Vale.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:23 pm

rad lulz wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Ahhh okay

In this case, it seems more about my type A personality making waves in a small town courtroom workgroup. Cops know me and respect me, not so sure about some attorneys.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:42 pm

bjsesq wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Ahhh okay

In this case, it seems more about my type A personality making waves in a small town courtroom workgroup. Cops know me and respect me, not so sure about some attorneys.
Ahh I can see that

I take it you did your best to allay their fears

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:43 pm

gwuorbust wrote:Out of the Vale!! No a great job, but it will pay the bills (though not interest on my debt).

There is still hope out there people. Keep apply to everything you can. Best of luck to everyone still in the Vale.
Congrats my mang

Small firm? Local govt?

What kind of work are you doing

Happy for you man

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:43 pm

rad lulz wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Ahhh okay

Ahh I can see that

I take it you did your best to allay their fears
Of course. I'm still not confident and want to go lay in traffic, but I guess we'll see.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:46 pm

bjsesq wrote:Of course. I'm still not confident and want to go lay in traffic, but I guess we'll see.
I can understand the feeling

It's hard not to get invested in individual employers when you need a goddam jerb

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:50 pm

rad lulz wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Of course. I'm still not confident and want to go lay in traffic, but I guess we'll see.

It's hard not to get invested in individual employers when you need a goddam jerb
And considering you already have around 300 who have told you to go fuck yourself.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:52 pm

bjsesq wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

And considering you already have around 300 who have told you to go fuck yourself.
But of course you are "highly qualified"

And they have no doubt you will find a "suitable position"

Because you are an "impressive applicant"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:55 pm

rad lulz wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:Out of the Vale!! No a great job, but it will pay the bills (though not interest on my debt).

Congrats my mang

Small firm? Local govt?

What kind of work are you doing

Happy for you man
Thanks.

Small firm. It involves a number of practice areas I am interested in so it will be a good learning experience even though the pay isn't great. I'm just really glad I have anything.

edit: didn't mean to make this anonymous!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:55 pm

rad lulz wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

I'm gonna be an impressive applicant who threw himself off a damn bridge if I don't find something.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:57 pm

Looking at another school's Symplicity, and they have a fellowship position I would love to do. Shame the fellowship is for their students only.

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:58 pm

bjsesq wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
rad lulz wrote: I can understand the feeling

I'm gonna be an impressive applicant who threw himself off a damn bridge if I don't find something.
Hugs brother.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:00 pm

bjsesq wrote: I'm gonna be an impressive applicant who threw himself off a damn bridge if I don't find something.
Try your best to keep the faith brother (I know it's not easy)

No income = no payments

Only goes up from here

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:06 pm

Congratulations. I bet that makes bar studying easier.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”