The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:41 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Have you looked into Healthcare Compliance? I'd imagine it's a pretty hot sector right now, though I admit I'm not very knowledgeable about that industry. I did find this, which may or may not be helpful for you:
http://www.hcca-info.org/CareerCenter/JobBoard.aspx
Thanks for the reminder. I hadn't been keeping up with HCCA post-government egress. Excellent resource.

aardvark87

New

Post by aardvark87 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:04 pm

Bikeflip wrote:

Just had an interview to be a Lexis sales rep. Base pay (50-60K) + commission. Also sounds like they promote from within. Just wanna know if I can get back into real legal work from it, but probably not.
I'm in a similar situation, and I just interviewed for a JD-required non-lawyer position. Not sure of the pay, but I believe it's in that range. It's led to a war of my two minds:

On one hand, being unemployed is awful, from both a financial and personal standpoint. On top of it, I have my licensing issue (discussed a few pages back). Making decent money at a less stressful job sounds really appealing on some days. This is the voice in my head saying, "It's a down economy. Take the job and be grateful, and don't worry because your job doesn't define you." It's especially convincing on those days where I'm tired of giving my labor away for free.

On the other hand, I've come this far, and I really do like the practice of law. And, for better or worse, I do put a lot of stock in my career. These other jobs can provide stability now, but what's the career outlook? Would I be heading down a path that I will regret in 5 years? This uncertainty sucks, but closing the door on being a lawyer might suck even more. I can't shake the feeling that if I go down that other route, I'll look back at this moment and say, "If only I'd held on a little longer." Maybe we're going to be great lawyers. It would be a shame to come so close and never find out.

It's tough, and I feel for you, man. We're basically deciding whether we're permanently in or out of the traditional legal profession (or that's what it feels like), while balancing debt, uncertainty, depression and general feelings of worthlessness. For me personally, I'm not ready to say that I'm out, even though the Vale is an awful place to be. Whatever you decide, I wish you the best. Feel free to shoot me a PM, too.

aardvark87

New

Post by aardvark87 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:ugh enough of this already
really feeling near the end of my rope
3L at a top school
not sure how much more i can take
I know how you feel, but unfortunately being jobless at graduation is pretty normal now. Most of us here are approaching 9 months out from graduation with no jobs. I say that not to belittle or minimize your struggles - because I lived through them myself and they suck - but to remind you that what you're going through is normal and not an indictment on your worth as a person or a lawyer.

For people who don't get hired during school, the real job hunt doesn't begin until you pass the bar. You may have to volunteer for a while, which sucks, but this is the legal landscape now. Hang in there and keep at it. With your credentials you will be a very good candidate.

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:59 pm

aardvark87 wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:

Just had an interview to be a Lexis sales rep. Base pay (50-60K) + commission. Also sounds like they promote from within. Just wanna know if I can get back into real legal work from it, but probably not.
I'm in a similar situation, and I just interviewed for a JD-required non-lawyer position. Not sure of the pay, but I believe it's in that range. It's led to a war of my two minds:

On one hand, being unemployed is awful, from both a financial and personal standpoint. On top of it, I have my licensing issue (discussed a few pages back). Making decent money at a less stressful job sounds really appealing on some days. This is the voice in my head saying, "It's a down economy. Take the job and be grateful, and don't worry because your job doesn't define you." It's especially convincing on those days where I'm tired of giving my labor away for free.

On the other hand, I've come this far, and I really do like the practice of law. And, for better or worse, I do put a lot of stock in my career. These other jobs can provide stability now, but what's the career outlook? Would I be heading down a path that I will regret in 5 years? This uncertainty sucks, but closing the door on being a lawyer might suck even more. I can't shake the feeling that if I go down that other route, I'll look back at this moment and say, "If only I'd held on a little longer." Maybe we're going to be great lawyers. It would be a shame to come so close and never find out.

It's tough, and I feel for you, man. We're basically deciding whether we're permanently in or out of the traditional legal profession (or that's what it feels like), while balancing debt, uncertainty, depression and general feelings of worthlessness. For me personally, I'm not ready to say that I'm out, even though the Vale is an awful place to be. Whatever you decide, I wish you the best. Feel free to shoot me a PM, too.
I get you on that, but the way I see it, the door on a legal career is rapidly closing on us c/o 2013ers. And I need money.

seahawks2014

New

Post by seahawks2014 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:34 pm

Did anyone apply to the Citi Full Time Compliance Associate Program?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gfunk01

New

Post by gfunk01 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:35 pm

seahawks2014 wrote:Did anyone apply to the Citi Full Time Compliance Associate Program?
I did, never heard anything back (story of my life).

seahawks2014

New

Post by seahawks2014 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:40 pm

2L job hunt I used to get pissed when I got a rejection. Now, I am happy when I get a rejection letter in the mail. At least they acknowledged that I exist haha. What is my life coming to????

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:04 pm

I have one opportunity lingering that I will find out about in March. I hope I made the cut. I can't stop thinking about it. I'm going to be devastated if it doesn't work out. I have nothing else pending, so I need to work on it.

On a side note, for entry level jobs that say admitted to practice in state, does that mean they already want you to be licensed in that state? The prosecutor in my state posted some jobs recently that say this. I can't get a hold of a person that knows the answer by phone.

seahawks2014

New

Post by seahawks2014 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:05 pm

My impression was that with those jobs they wanted someone to start now, rather than having to wait on a 3L to take the bar.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:05 pm

(never mind, the project I posted already filled up)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got an offer to do doc review for four weeks at $25 an hour, 40 hours a week, but in a different market. After tax I'd bring home $5700 if the assignment lasts as long as they estimate, but doc review projects can be fickle (i.e., sudden settlements, or lasting way longer than planned). The city is a reasonably affordable one with decent access to mass transit (it's not NYC, DC, or SF). It is about six hours away from where I live. I would not have to break a lease or sublet where I am now to go there (I'm with parents) but I'd have to figure out housing there.

I have no money now and could really use the money, but wouldn't want to sublet only to have the project settle two weeks in. I suppose I could consider an extended-stay hotel, but at net $700 per week, that may result in greatly diminished profits.

I also have an interview tomorrow with a different doc review agency, and a recruiter from a third one left me a voicemail earlier today (currently on phone tag with him).

It is in a city I would enjoy living in for two months.

Do I take it? Not take it? Consult with parents?

If you're A) not doing anything else B) can get out of it quickly if something else arises and C) won't be losing money, then absolutely take it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:32 pm

(anons can't delete?)

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:.

(anons can't delete?)
No one can delete, as far as I'm aware?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:18 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:.

(anons can't delete?)
No one can delete, as far as I'm aware?
Well, at least in the lounge, people can delete their own posts if the post is the very last one in a thread. After that, you can only blank a post.

ETA: Upon posting, a delete option appears for this post. So it looks like only anonymous posters can't delete.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
If you give us some more information about your masters and law school focus, we may be able to help.
Thanks for seeing through my jadedness

Masters in Public Health - worked in health policy. My old federal job has been obsoletized (yes, wordsmithing) by PPACA.

Law school focus has been on the regulatory side of healthcare. No journal - fairly shitty first semester; 3.88 if that semester is discounted.
You can't get a job at the CDC or Department of Human Health Services? Doing ANYTHING? Legal or non.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:48 am

sparty99 wrote:You can't get a job at the CDC or Department of Human Health Services? Doing ANYTHING? Legal or non.
Seriously, why do you think this is a remotely helpful response?

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:50 am

aardvark87 wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:

Fuck that. You better take the money in run. Don't worry about who's feeding you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:10 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
sparty99 wrote:You can't get a job at the CDC or Department of Human Health Services? Doing ANYTHING? Legal or non.
I really don't understand how you haven't banned him yet.

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:35 am

LeDique wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
I really don't understand how you haven't banned him yet.
At least from this thread. Dude's an asshole here.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:47 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
I actually wasn't talking to you, I was talking to the person who had a Masters in Public Health and I recommended two agencies who would seemingly want someone with a Masters in Public Health and a Law Degree. But thanks for trying to critique me.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:54 am

sparty99 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
I actually wasn't talking to you, I was talking to the person who had a Masters in Public Health and I recommended two agencies who would seemingly want someone with a Masters in Public Health and a Law Degree. But thanks for trying to critique me.
Do you really think I'm stupid enough to think you were talking to me? Of course you weren't talking to me. But since you were being an asshole, I called you on it. This is not the thread for this kind of totally unhelpful blame-the-applicant post. You weren't recommending anything, you were expressing incredulity that this person hadn't got a job in either of those places. Which is, again, unhelpful - obviously the poster hasn't found jobs in those agencies or they wouldn't be posting here talking about not having a job. You need to stay out of this thread until you can figure out how to post constructively.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:16 pm

i liked sparty better three years ago when he just went around telling everyone that a 140 lsat would get you into any school if you had a strong PS.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:51 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
sparty99 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Do you really think I'm stupid enough to think you were talking to me? Of course you weren't talking to me. But since you were being an asshole, I called you on it. This is not the thread for this kind of totally unhelpful blame-the-applicant post. You weren't recommending anything, you were expressing incredulity that this person hadn't got a job in either of those places. Which is, again, unhelpful - obviously the poster hasn't found jobs in those agencies or they wouldn't be posting here talking about not having a job. You need to stay out of this thread until you can figure out how to post constructively.
Oh, okay. How could I "express incredulity" if I don't even know if he applied there. Nothing in his statement said if he did. But you, being the hater that you are, was quick an attempting to analyze what I was saying. Please fly away. I simply recommended the CDC and DHH and ask the guy if there is a reason why he couldn't get a job there? Cause if I had a Masters there, I'd be applying to those agencies, idk, every day. But once again, haters like you, want to twist my words.

gfunk01

New

Post by gfunk01 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:13 pm

Your underlying intention seems fine. However, you need to learn to write better to get your point across. The way you wrote your original came off very aggressive and condescending. I don't think people would have any issue if you had wrote something along the lines of: "Have you looked at positions, legal or non, at other health agencies like the CDC or HHS?"

To the target of this original post, I knew someone who graduated unemployed who really wanted to work at HHS and was able to get a job there after some time by networking and such in DC. I can pm you his name if you want, and he may be able to help you. I also know firms are looking for healthcare associates, such as Epstein Becker, esp now with all the changes due to the healthcare law and really want people who understand the industry. More opportunities may be available in certain states that are still implementing the exchanges and etc, esp in places like CA where the thing has been a mess.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:14 pm

sparty99 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
It's not about being "haters," Sparty... It's about you saying things like "You can't get a job . . . doing ANYTHING?" It's really insensitive and rude to say stuff like that. To help, I've again re-written your post the way a person with any sort of social skills would write it:
spartyonxanax wrote:You can't get a job at theHave you taken a look at the CDC or Department of Human Health Services? Those might be two good resources that would hire someone with your background. Doing ANYTHING? Legal or non.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”