The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
spleenworship

Gold

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by spleenworship » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi guys, long time lurker here. Just wanted you guys to know that you have all made this unemployment process so much more bearable. At a T6, I am surrounded by people who are all heading off to V50 firms, loudly planning their bar trips, and talking about what big purchases they'll be making with their first paychecks. (Even my significant other is guilty of this sometimes.) And then there's me. I still have graphic flashbacks back to all the interviews that I've had, obsessively thinking about the slightest awkward moments, wondering if those are what screwed me over during 2L OCI, wondering what made me the only person among all my close group of friends to strike out so spectacularly, and worrying about the fact that my strapped-for-cash parents have cosigned all of my loans and I have no idea how I'll be able to repay my loans barring some miraculous job that falls into my lap. Anyway watching you guys constantly hustle, and sharing in your successes and failures, have made me feel so much less alone during all of this. Thanks again guys and I wish you all the best of luck.

Glad we could help.

You know, one thing I learned back when I was in the Fire Academy many years ago was that you can do absolutely anything as long as you just don't stop. They want you to bash through a concrete wall? Just keep hammering. They want you to run 7 miles today? Just put one foot in front of the other. They want you to learn all the different appliances that fit on an engine? Just keep reading and repeating the names.

It's the same way for everything, as far as I can tell. Just keep going and, eventually, something will work out, even if it seems like it wasn't your original goal... You're going to get somewhere different from where you are now. And if you are already near the bottom, like we are now, the different pretty much has to be better.

That said, I still recommend counseling and medications for the depressed. In the same way I couldn't have made it through the fire academy without ibuprofen... Sweet, pain reducing ibuprofen my kidney doctor hates... I couldn't be moving towards my goals now without bupropion. No real side effects either.

Tl;dr - just keep going everybody. It'll be ok.

gfunk01

New

Post by gfunk01 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:40 pm

northwood wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What is the inside scoop on CitiGroup Compliance Associate Program?

Got an interview from the HR and wondering if it is worth it?

depends on what your other options are.. if its your only ( or one of a very few) option, go for it.
I just got an interview w/ them too. It's just a phone interview, so nothing to lose besides 20-30 min of your time. Can maybe think about it more if you make it to the Superday.

jess

Post by jess » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:24 pm

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:57 pm

Jessuf wrote:How much would one generally make their first year in lobbying? Does $70k sound about right? I know 0 things about lobbyist salaries and couldn't find much info online for entry level work.
I could ask my friend at the state level. Would that help?

jess

Post by jess » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:44 pm

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:36 pm

gfunk01 wrote:northwood wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
What is the inside scoop on CitiGroup Compliance Associate Program?

Got an interview from the HR and wondering if it is worth it?

depends on what your other options are.. if its your only ( or one of a very few) option, go for it.

I just got an interview w/ them too. It's just a phone interview, so nothing to lose besides 20-30 min of your time. Can maybe think about it more if you make it to the Superday.
Snagged an interview with them too. This is the only positive news for the past two months or so. Fingers crossed it goes well.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:46 pm

Jessuf wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
Jessuf wrote:How much would one generally make their first year in lobbying? Does $70k sound about right? I know 0 things about lobbyist salaries and couldn't find much info online for entry level work.
I could ask my friend at the state level. Would that help?
Sure. The position is for a DC office, but it handles state-level organizations.
He says he does mostly contract work with rates set by clients. So he can't say for sure. But from what he hears, DC lobbyists do well, and you could expect 6 figures in a few years.

So maybe 70k is a good starting rate?

Sorry I'm not more helpful.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:51 am

Non-profit lobbyists make less. I think big firm ones make more. Are you going to be a lobbyist? Nice to find a kindred soul here!

Also, so, I mentioned I asked why I wasn't hired, and one employer said "you need more detail in your resume." However, I'm already at the one page limit. I'm wondering if it's time to go into two-page land.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:52 pm

I received a voicemail on Tuesday for an interview at a law firm but I was out of the country and didn't have cell service. Should I just explain this when I return the call? Of course if figures this happens the one week I go away.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I received a voicemail on Tuesday for an interview at a law firm but I was out of the country and didn't have cell service. Should I just explain this when I return the call? Of course if figures this happens the one week I go away.
Yes, call and explain that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:10 pm

Just got the question in an interview: "you're top third from ccn but don't have a law firm job (i'm on fellowship), is the market that bad or what?"

How the fuck am I supposed to answer that question in any satisfactory way? Came up with something, but fuck.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got the question in an interview: "you're top third from ccn but don't have a law firm job (i'm on fellowship), is the market that bad or what?"

How the fuck am I supposed to answer that question in any satisfactory way? Came up with something, but fuck.
Seems like they like you, so I would say yes. I was asked that in my current job. I think it makes employers think they can get a candidate who is otherwise out of their league. And you are not admitting that there is anything wrong with you.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:18 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
Non-profit lobbyists make less. I think big firm ones make more. Are you going to be a lobbyist? Nice to find a kindred soul here!

Also, so, I mentioned I asked why I wasn't hired, and one employer said "you need more detail in your resume." However, I'm already at the one page limit. I'm wondering if it's time to go into two-page land.
Is it possible that you just don't have your resume formatted properly or concisely enough to include everything you need in one page? I'd try to review what you have and increase the level of detail without going to two pages. This may include dropping some unimportant stuff.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:19 pm

chrisbru wrote: Is it possible that you just don't have your resume formatted properly or concisely enough to include everything you need in one page? I'd try to review what you have and increase the level of detail without going to two pages. This may include dropping some unimportant stuff.
I update my resume regularly to drop things that are not relevant. The problem is that I've had a lot of relevant internships. And, I'm a "jack of all trades" at my current job, which is very hard to describe in two sentences.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:21 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
chrisbru wrote: Is it possible that you just don't have your resume formatted properly or concisely enough to include everything you need in one page? I'd try to review what you have and increase the level of detail without going to two pages. This may include dropping some unimportant stuff.
I update my resume regularly to drop things that are not relevant. The problem is that I've had a lot of relevant internships. And, I'm a "jack of all trades" at my current job, which is very hard to describe in two sentences.
I don't think there's a hard stop at one page, so as long as you're using the second page because you truly need to space for relevant stuff, you should be fine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:47 pm

lol at my law school staying at #4 on us news. i just cut back on my hours at my paid ($12/hour) legal internship to pick up more barista shifts so i can make rent this month. :lol:

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:46 pm

Gotta reject from a PDs office today.

Yay.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:47 pm

spleenworship wrote:Gotta reject from a PDs office today.

Yay.
Sorry to hear that, brother.

loomstate

Bronze

Post by loomstate » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:lol at my law school staying at #4 on us news. i just cut back on my hours at my paid ($12/hour) legal internship to pick up more barista shifts so i can make rent this month. :lol:
0L here, this is scary

user has been warned for posting in legal employment as a 0L

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:51 pm

bjsesq wrote:

Yay.
Well... It's not like it's called the "Vale of Happy Sunshine and Blowjobs." I'm sure something will work out though. Gonna keep plugging away.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:53 pm

loomstate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:lol at my law school staying at #4 on us news. i just cut back on my hours at my paid ($12/hour) legal internship to pick up more barista shifts so i can make rent this month. :lol:
0L here, this is scary
Wrong forum

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:54 pm

spleenworship wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Yay.
Well... It's not like it's called the "Vale of Happy Sunshine and Blowjobs." I'm sure something will work out though. Gonna keep plugging away.
Sorry brother

Hope things turn around for you

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:56 pm

spleenworship wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Yay.
Dis why ladies luv u.

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:36 pm

Sucks spleen.
Got dinged from 2 non lawl jerbs last week. Need to work on my "Why are you giving up on teh lawl" answer.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:42 pm

Bikeflip wrote:Sucks spleen.
Got dinged from 2 non lawl jerbs last week. Need to work on my "Why are you giving up on teh lawl" answer.
What was your undergrad major/any work experience? I always spun this question by saying something like "I left my job to pursue an advanced degree knowing that I wanted to go back into the business world. I decided on a JD over an MBA because I thought it would give me more versatility combined with my finance bachelor's degree. I spent the last two summers working at law firms to make sure I really didn't want to be an attorney, and after those experiences I can confidently say that I am set on re-entering the business world upon graduation."

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”