The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rad lulz

Platinum

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by rad lulz » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:37 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Partner called me 2 hours before my interview to tell me that the position was filled and I don't need to show up. Ouch, especially with the scarcity of interviews in the Vale as is.
Damn man

That sucks and I'm sorry

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:39 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Partner called me 2 hours before my interview to tell me that the position was filled and I don't need to show up. Ouch, especially with the scarcity of interviews in the Vale as is.
Shit dude. Sorry.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:53 pm

Literally 30 minutes after posting about that cancelled interview I got an email for an interview from another firm. The universe works in mysterious ways. Really kinda hoping I get one of the two I interviewed with over the past few weeks though as I liked both quite a lot.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:32 pm

Just finished a whole day of interviews at a single firm in two cities, pretty exhausted. Good to feel like I am back in the game. The partner was nice to be honest with me that I have superior credentials to the other candidates, but disadvantaged by the lack of any connection to the midwest. Hopefully things work out and will be fully out of the vale.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:52 am

had an interview with a name partner of a mid-sized firm, after which said partner sent me an email saying that the firm "would be lucky to have me." rejected.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:had an interview with a name partner of a mid-sized firm, after which said partner sent me an email saying that the firm "would be lucky to have me." rejected.
That email sounds like something you say during a break up or to softy reject a date from someone. "It's not you; it's me!"

Pretzel_Logic

Platinum

Post by Pretzel_Logic » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:37 am

other than an interview with the world's weirdest judge (she's not going to call me but if she did I would tell her no. seriously) I have absolutely nothing happening. kinda assuming this month is going to be slow because of the holidays. and I put my name in to a bunch of doc review agencies.

Blergh.

jess

Post by jess » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:13 pm

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:20 pm

Jessuf wrote:The last time an entry-level attorney position was posted on my school's symplicity was over a month ago. Just lol.
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :x :x :x :x :x :x

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:17 pm

Jessuf wrote:The last time an entry-level attorney position was posted on my school's symplicity was over a month ago. Just lol.
Same here.

Tso fucked.

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:25 pm

It's times like these when I wish Resumelaunchpad.com was better at giving out small firm contacts.

huntington

New

Post by huntington » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:54 pm

As a current 3L taking the bar in the summer, when is the best time to seek employment as an associate?
Currently working at a firm as a clerk, but unable to hire due to budgeting.

I'm thinking of finding a new firm to clerk at, but what about if I end up staying here?
Mass mail in the spring, summer, or after the bar?

Thoughts?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:27 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:36 pm

Best time to start looking for post-bar employment was yesterday.

I'd also look for a new clerking jerb, but I'd take a new clerking jerb with a firm that would be able to hire you as an attorney later on (or the new jerb gives you more money).

huntington

New

Post by huntington » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:45 pm

Blah, it's rough.

I love the firm I'm at, but they had to hire someone ASAP, but don't think they will have the budget to hire me now also.
I just found out yesterday, but finals are next week, so it's pretty much the worst possible time for the news.

Partner at the firm basically said they'd love to have me, but unless there was a sudden influx of additional work, they can't support another attorney, but that I'm welcome to stay until I can find another job.

In the mean time, I don't know where to go from here.

I was pretty much relying on my current firm (bad call, I know)

What does one do TO look for post-bar employment at this stage if not for mass mail?
Everything I'm seeing is for an immediate need and/or experience as an attorney already.

Suggestions?

huntington

New

Post by huntington » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:45 pm

holy run on sentences

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:49 pm

huntington wrote:What does one do TO look for post-bar employment at this stage if not for mass mail?
Everything I'm seeing is for an immediate need and/or experience as an attorney already.
Generally, apply for every open position that looks even remotely like an entry-level jerb that would start in Fall 2014. Also, go to any networking event that's free and has booze. The more lawyers you know, the more lawyers who can help you find a post-bar position. Plus the lawyers that go to networking events generally seem like lawyers who like helping young lawyers and law students. Is networking low-yielding? Yes, but at least you can get some free booze while meeting attorneys.

For you specifically, I'd diplomatically let your partner know that if they cannot hire you-or even foresee hiring you-to help you in your post-bar search. At the very least, the partner can put out a good word for you to other firms.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:48 pm

Just got an email for a callback interview over dinner next week with my top choice firm. I feel like I need to go do some sprints outside or something cause of the adrenaline running through me right now. Here is to hoping the madness ends here.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:44 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Just got an email for a callback interview over dinner next week with my top choice firm. I feel like I need to go do some sprints outside or something cause of the adrenaline running through me right now. Here is to hoping the madness ends here.
Prayers, thoughts, and wishes for luck all heading your way bro.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:37 pm

I'm gonna quit and buy some land for a dairy farm and make cheese for a living.

Who's with me?

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:42 pm

spleenworship wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:Just got an email for a callback interview over dinner next week with my top choice firm. I feel like I need to go do some sprints outside or something cause of the adrenaline running through me right now. Here is to hoping the madness ends here.
Same from me. Really rooting for you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:54 pm

deadpanic wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
Same from me. Really rooting for you.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:30 pm

spleenworship wrote:I'm gonna quit and buy some land for a dairy farm and make cheese for a living.

Who's with me?
I live in Iowa/SD. I'll just post this here for reference. It's completely true right now for the areas.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/steveforbes ... very-rich/

The article is taken down now, but in SD a farmer was just arrested for driving 150 in his new porsche 911. Actually if you're looking to run a small trade company / plumbing / electrical / mechanical, you'll likely pull mid/upper 6 low 7 figures right now due to labor shortages.

If you're looking at farming operations PM me and I can set you up with brokers.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:13 pm

typ3 wrote:
spleenworship wrote:I'm gonna quit and buy some land for a dairy farm and make cheese for a living.

Who's with me?
I live in Iowa/SD. I'll just post this here for reference. It's completely true right now for the areas.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/steveforbes ... very-rich/

The article is taken down now, but in SD a farmer was just arrested for driving 150 in his new porsche 911. Actually if you're looking to run a small trade company / plumbing / electrical / mechanical, you'll likely pull mid/upper 6 low 7 figures right now due to labor shortages.

If you're looking at farming operations PM me and I can set you up with brokers.
Thanks for the offer. Seriously.

That said, if I had the money to buy a dairy farm I'd have the money to make enough of my student loans go away to open a solo practice in a shared office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:47 pm

Hey guys, after ~25 fruitless interviews since 3L started, I finally got my offer letter today from the PI government organization of my dreams (something I've been talking about since 1L, keeping it purposefully vague just to be safe). Keep at it. You can do it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”