The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rad lulz

Platinum

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by rad lulz » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:50 pm

kalvano wrote:Postings on Symplicity are actually your best bet. Apply to anything that looks even remotely promising.
Yeah pretty much

Those firms not only want to hire but they want to hire someone who goes to your school (maybe)

This is different from mass mailing for obvious reasons

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:51 pm

When I was in the vale, I hit up Craigslist, personal connections and symplicity. Craigslist was a total strikeout, connections were a mixed bag, and symplicity got me three interviews and two offers. YMMV.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:52 pm

rad lulz wrote:
kalvano wrote:Postings on Symplicity are actually your best bet. Apply to anything that looks even remotely promising.
Yeah pretty much

Those firms not only want to hire but they want to hire someone who goes to your school (maybe)

Okay awesome. Is there a timeline for applying to these things? If they have a closing date of mid-September or October, is it worth trying to apply since I'll still be in school for another six months? Or is this balls to the wall hope for anything that sticks time?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:58 pm

My interviews came from:

3L OCI
Connections/networking
Symplicity
Symplicity followed up with networking
Job posting on a firm website

Job eventually came from connections/networking

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:59 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Yeah pretty much

Okay awesome. Is there a timeline for applying to these things? If they have a closing date of mid-September or October, is it worth trying to apply since I'll still be in school for another six months? Or is this balls to the wall hope for anything that sticks time?
Apply now. At least at my school they'd take em down before the deadlines if the organization felt they had enough resumes

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:01 pm

rad lulz wrote:
LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Yeah pretty much

Apply now. At least at my school they'd take em down before the deadlines if the organization felt they had enough resumes
I'm not seeing any jobs for c/o 2014 on my simplicity. It seems early for that.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:04 pm

JenDarby wrote: I'm not seeing any jobs for c/o 2014 on my simplicity. It seems early for that.
Likewise.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:13 pm

Do all schools switch grads over to a different Symplicity screen when you graduate? I don't see any of the internships or stuff for 3L's anymore, I only see actual legal jobs posted for grads or experienced attorneys.

If your school does this, you probably won't see too many jobs for associates until closer to graduation.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:08 pm

chrisbru wrote:
JenDarby wrote: I'm not seeing any jobs for c/o 2014 on my simplicity. It seems early for that.
Likewise.
They won't usually start popping up until the fall and not with any regularity until spring semester.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:09 pm

kalvano wrote:Do all schools switch grads over to a different Symplicity screen when you graduate? I don't see any of the internships or stuff for 3L's anymore, I only see actual legal jobs posted for grads or experienced attorneys.

If your school does this, you probably won't see too many jobs for associates until closer to graduation.
I still see a lot of internships and shit. I'm guessing our OCS wants us to know there's unpaid legal work out there if we're willing to do it.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:44 pm

I got this from a bar association I joined a while ago
Announcing a
Job Opening for a Law Clerk Position in the Eastern District of California

The United States District Court for the Eastern District of California has announced a job opening for a two-year term law clerk in Sacramento, California. The deadline for applying is October 31, 2013.

The successful candidate will serve as law clerk to the Honorable Ronald H. Sargis. Judicial law clerks are primarily responsible for legal research and the preparation of orders, memoranda and draft opinions. This position includes the management of externs, oversight of their workload and court experience. A demonstrated interest in bankruptcy law is preferred.

For more information please visit http://www.caeb.uscourts.gov/Employment.aspx
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dfsad

New

Post by dfsad » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:16 pm

Accepted an offer for a JD preferred job today. I might not be a "real" lawyer, but it's going to be a great learning experience, not to mention pretty good pay and benefits. Three weeks ago, I had absolutely nothing on the horizon, so don't give up hope because you never know when things are going to turn around.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:32 pm

dfsad wrote:Accepted an offer for a JD preferred job today. I might not be a "real" lawyer, but it's going to be a great learning experience, not to mention pretty good pay and benefits. Three weeks ago, I had absolutely nothing on the horizon, so don't give up hope because you never know when things are going to turn around.
Congrats!! I've always been very open to a JD preferred job. Where I worked pre-LS paid as good or better than biglaw to entry level consultants and was in ways JD preferred (with the right background and connections). I would love to end up at a place like that (and would be happy with way lesser pay).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:41 pm

dfsad wrote:Accepted an offer for a JD preferred job today. I might not be a "real" lawyer, but it's going to be a great learning experience, not to mention pretty good pay and benefits. Three weeks ago, I had absolutely nothing on the horizon, so don't give up hope because you never know when things are going to turn around.
Good job bro. Putting bread on the table makes life good.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:04 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
Good job bro. Putting bread on the table makes life good.

UnfrozenCaveman

Bronze

Post by UnfrozenCaveman » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:12 pm

A Facebook connection of mine posted about looking for an attorney in Suffolk county. PM me if interested and I can try to hook you up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:52 pm

Recently graduated top of my class from a T-14 and am in the vale. What do I do? More specifically, do I leave law if I don't get a 2014 clerkship and don't have a job by, say, Labor Day? I should add that I paid sticker.

Any constructive thoughts welcomed, especially of the therapeutic kind.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:09 pm

That's how I got my jerb

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Recently graduated top of my class from a T-14 and am in the vale. What do I do? More specifically, do I leave law if I don't get a 2014 clerkship and don't have a job by, say, Labor Day? I should add that I paid sticker.

Any constructive thoughts welcomed, especially of the therapeutic kind.
You're in decent shape. I would be very surprised if you cannot secure something post-bar.

When you say top, did you get Latin honors? Have you hit not only the major market firms but your home market firms? Perhaps send out some feeler e-mails to your home market firms (to a partner from a similar UG or lawlschool), dropping that you graduated recently from X with X honors, are studying for the bar, and want to return home to practice. Do you know if your firm is hiring?

Also, watch simplicity and get on BYU and check BigstateU of your home market's job postings.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:34 pm

Anyone want to trade Pittsburgh Area Symplicity for GULC Symplicity postings?

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:23 am

Mick Haller wrote:
That's how I got my jerb
You are the only UCH grad I know to get a full-time post-grad job from Symplicity.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

aliens

New

Post by aliens » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone want to trade Pittsburgh Area Symplicity for GULC Symplicity postings?
I'll give you Philadelphia area symplicity postings if that would help. PM me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:00 am

Congrats! Can I ask how you searched for / came across this job?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:17 am

Thanks for your encouraging comments and helpful suggestions. It will make bar studying that much easier this week. :D

Yeah, Latin honors and Order of the Coif.

Sorry, I didn't get the BYU or Big State U suggestions? Are you saying look for legal jobs or J.D. preferred jobs at university websites?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:32 am

http://www.law2.byu.edu/page/?id=curren ... ntent=jobs

^Intercollegiate law job bank

User id= jobfind
Pw= EmployUs

Check the law schools (BigstateU, etc.) in your home state for job listings.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”