The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
elendinel
Posts: 668
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:29 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby elendinel » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Guys - do you know of ANY big/midi-sized firms looking to hire for Fall 2017 right now, preferably in the Greater New York area?


If you have a science background, maybe.

Anonymous User
Posts: 293744
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Officially out of the vale! Small firm in NYC with decent pay. Good luck, everyone!


Congrats! Are you class of 2017? How did you come by the firm?


Yes, I am class of 2017 at T15. I actually found out about this through mass mailing. The initial salary was pretty low but was able to negotiate to 70-80k.

Anonymous User
Posts: 293744
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2016 grad here. Passed CA bar on 2nd try. Job listings are scarce. Any advice aside? I have a 1 gap on my resume at this point and it's only getting wider by the day and I'm just super nervous that it might be a while until I can get a job. I'm giving myself until July which is when I'll volunteer in public interest to try to put something on the resume.

This is depressing every day.


OP here. Out of Vale. Not the ideal job but decent first opportunity.

Good luck to all. Just stay on the grind.

Anonymous User
Posts: 293744
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:46 pm

2017 Grad and long time lurker here. TLS has definitely helped me through some pretty difficult times. Can't say my story is a success story by any means because it's not, and I don't really consider it to be. Mainly writing this because I just needed to get some things off my mind while I'm sitting here studying for the Bar.

Started law school in the Tier III, transferred to a school in the T20. Struck out at OCI, found a clerking job in a market that I didn't really want to work in during my summer after 2L. During the start of 3L I did my best to network in my hometown (read: Midwest secondary cities). Interviewed at countless firms, was rejected at every single firm and was told that "the incoming class is full."

After I graduated I moved back to my home market, kept networking, eventually interviewing and accepted a position at an accounting firm here in town (I'm a JD/LLM). The work is somewhat related to what I eventually hope to be doing, and there are people at the firm with JD's. Can't say that it is necessarily my dream job, but it is most definitely a job in my field, which is at least a step in the right direction.

In short, the moral of the story is keep plugging away and eventually something will come along. It won't be perfect, probably not as well paid as you deserve, but it will be a step in the right direction.

So thanks to all of you for keeping me moderately sane.

User avatar
ExBiglawAssociate
Posts: 2148
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:26 pm

Jesus Christ, this thread is terrifying and depressing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 293744
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:47 pm

Joining. T10 just above median, moot court, mock trial, EIC secondary journal, feeling like it was all one big joke. Never thought I'd be here. Fuck.

andythefir
Posts: 495
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:56 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby andythefir » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Joining. T10 just above median, moot court, mock trial, EIC secondary journal, feeling like it was all one big joke. Never thought I'd be here. Fuck.


I've been trolling for rural prosecution all over this thread, but you are an ideal candidate. Go to the mountain west, do a billion trials, get a clerkship, and then do whatever you want. If you did moot court and mock trial, there must be some interest in trial work. So go get trials, live in a gross town for 2 years, then leverage that to whatever job you fancy.

arabatlaw
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:25 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby arabatlaw » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:55 am

My sisters and brothers, I left the Vale today. I wept with you, I shared in your sleepless nights. I shared in your mornings that were filled with a lack of motivation, a sense of dread and despair. I sent around 1,000 mass mail apps. I tried snail mail. I did it all. None of it worked. I was fortunate that my stay in the Vale only lasted until about 2 months after I graduated but I nevertheless shared in your pain. I graduated below median from a lower T14, I witnessed my classmates' mirth and merriment as all I had to offer were shrugs filled with uncertainty. From the day that my last OCI callback rejected me I have felt the crushing pain of defeat, and only today was I relieved of this burden. My search was brutal and included flying cross country only to be told that "while the firm was interested in me they wouldn't be in a position to add an associate for at least a year or two", (because that couldn't be said over email).

I'm in a decent practice area at a boutique firm near my hometown in the Garden State. The pay isn't stellar but it's comfortable. Keep your head up. Keep plugging away. Use Indeed, LinkedIn, Craigslist, Symplicity, Monster, Martindale, AttorneyJobsinUSA, GoBigLaw, Goinhouse. Any one of them could be your saving grace. I know your pain, I have shared your pain, and I will see you all on the other side. Godspeed.

Anonymous User
Posts: 293744
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:16 pm

andythefir wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Joining. T10 just above median, moot court, mock trial, EIC secondary journal, feeling like it was all one big joke. Never thought I'd be here. Fuck.


I've been trolling for rural prosecution all over this thread, but you are an ideal candidate. Go to the mountain west, do a billion trials, get a clerkship, and then do whatever you want. If you did moot court and mock trial, there must be some interest in trial work. So go get trials, live in a gross town for 2 years, then leverage that to whatever job you fancy.


OP here. I'm from a rural area and will spend 3L working in a DA's office with my practice card, so that's definitely on my mind. If I can't find anything by graduation I'll be an ADA in a heartbeat. Thank you for the advice.

Anonymous User
Posts: 293744
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:56 pm

I know people who have blanketed the armpit counties out west with apps and not gotten a single response, much less an offer. That's why I'm a bit skeptical when andythefir brings this point up (particularly since he seems to be the only poster who brings this up, even in a topic full of people who are desperate for jobs). Granted, they were all TTT or TTTT grads, but that's a lot easier to sell than "Hey, I'm from NY and was top-third at Penn, but I'm really excited to work for the Crook County, Wyoming DA's Office."

It's frankly hard to believe that a third of the class at U. of Montana/Idaho/Wyoming/New Mexico would rather be unemployed than take decent-paying, PSLF-eligible employment in their home state. Even if it is a crappy area. I'm from an armpit area of NY (obviously NY is a bit different), but even my middle-of-nowhere, frozen-wasteland, s***-paying city and county get 100+ apps every year.

I hope you're right though.

andythefir
Posts: 495
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:56 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby andythefir » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know people who have blanketed the armpit counties out west with apps and not gotten a single response, much less an offer. That's why I'm a bit skeptical when andythefir brings this point up (particularly since he seems to be the only poster who brings this up, even in a topic full of people who are desperate for jobs). Granted, they were all TTT or TTTT grads, but that's a lot easier to sell than "Hey, I'm from NY and was top-third at Penn, but I'm really excited to work for the Crook County, Wyoming DA's Office."

It's frankly hard to believe that a third of the class at U. of Montana/Idaho/Wyoming/New Mexico would rather be unemployed than take decent-paying, PSLF-eligible employment in their home state. Even if it is a crappy area. I'm from an armpit area of NY (obviously NY is a bit different), but even my middle-of-nowhere, frozen-wasteland, s***-paying city and county get 100+ apps every year.

I hope you're right though.


The people you know didn't apply to southern New Mexico. How do I know? Because the offices where I worked were down anywhere from 1 to 5 attorneys because not a single person applied. Attorneys refusing to go to southeast New Mexico made the NYT, I'm not making it up https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/29/us/n ... rtage.html. The offices themselves were mostly Cooley grads, with a smattering of random state schools. Maybe ¼ went to UNM. Average stay in the office was 8-14 months. The 3rd, 6th, and 12th DA's offices are all in the south of the state, and they're all hiring now http://www.nmbar.org/NmbarDocs/PubRes/B ... -07-19.pdf.

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1139
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Lincoln » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:32 pm

andythefir wrote:The people you know didn't apply to southern New Mexico. How do I know? Because the offices where I worked were down anywhere from 1 to 5 attorneys because not a single person applied. Attorneys refusing to go to southeast New Mexico made the NYT, I'm not making it up https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/29/us/n ... rtage.html. The offices themselves were mostly Cooley grads, with a smattering of random state schools. Maybe ¼ went to UNM. Average stay in the office was 8-14 months. The 3rd, 6th, and 12th DA's offices are all in the south of the state, and they're all hiring now http://www.nmbar.org/NmbarDocs/PubRes/B ... -07-19.pdf.


Kudos to andythefir for adding some solid leads to an otherwise mostly helpless thread. I realize it's easy to say from my perch of being employed, but, barring family circumstances, idk why a recent grad without a job wouldn't jump at this.

Anonymous User
Posts: 293744
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:08 pm

Jones day dallas is hiring 3Ls. They posted it on my school mailing list

Anonymous User
Posts: 293744
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:31 pm

Now that the bar is over, guess it's time to get back on the grind... This is fun :(

Bubbles1012
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:40 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Bubbles1012 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:42 pm

Did Jones Day say what practice area?

Anonymous User
Posts: 293744
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:21 pm

I'm a Class of 2017 graduate of a Top 25 school, graduated cum laude, was on a Secondary Journal, and I just recently took the NY bar. I'm still looking for a job (preferably any type of civil litigation in a midlaw firm in NYC or White Plains). I worked both summers in government but I loathe the government and would prefer to never return.

I still don't have a job - NYC is a brutal market for someone who didn't summer at a firm. I was wondering whether any of you had any advice what the standard practice is for someone in my situation. Do I continue to treck onward applying as I did before bar prep or do I wait until after I get my bar results? I've had a couple smaller firms tell me to contact them once I pass the bar so that prompted my interest in this question. Thanks.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 12534
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby ilovesf » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2016 grad here. Passed CA bar on 2nd try. Job listings are scarce. Any advice aside? I have a 1 gap on my resume at this point and it's only getting wider by the day and I'm just super nervous that it might be a while until I can get a job. I'm giving myself until July which is when I'll volunteer in public interest to try to put something on the resume.

This is depressing every day.

Hello Anon. Are you in the Bay Area? If so I have a good idea for you. Pm me.

Anonymous User
Posts: 293744
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:24 am

just popping in to comment that i'm beyond relieved to have discovered this thread. before, i felt terribly alone like i was living in a nightmare and i was encompassed in suicidal thoughts. picking law has been one of the worst decisions of my life (maybe at least for the short term). it's been so humiliating that you have sacrificed so much of yourself in law school and worked harder than so many other people. in the minds of non-legal people you are seen as this 'prestigious and successful person', but in reality you are piss poor broke and in serious debt. a minimum wage worker in fast food is living a better life than you.

and it really got to me. law school is like an auschwitz concentration camp where the sign reads "work hard to gain your freedom" but in reality you're really digging your own grave. once you discover the truth you ask what is the point of living.

but coming here, i realize i am not alone in this. there are others who are just as frustrated and depressed. this problem isn't unique to you. and seeing this supportive environment where others with the same problem come together and give each other emotional and career support is a saving grace. i know it is for me. being in school did shield us from the reality of unemployment sinking in. now i feel more hopeful and i view this as a temporary phase that just requires a little more output from you but it will come to an end. all you need is one employer to say yes to you and it gets easier after that. i feel more prepared to go through this phase because if you're not prepared you're only going to be hit with shock once unemployment hits. so kudos to the community here

User avatar
njdevils2626
Posts: 466
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:53 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby njdevils2626 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:just popping in to comment that i'm beyond relieved to have discovered this thread. before, i felt terribly alone like i was living in a nightmare and i was encompassed in suicidal thoughts. picking law has been one of the worst decisions of my life (maybe at least for the short term). it's been so humiliating that you have sacrificed so much of yourself in law school and worked harder than so many other people. in the minds of non-legal people you are seen as this 'prestigious and successful person', but in reality you are piss poor broke and in serious debt. a minimum wage worker in fast food is living a better life than you.

and it really got to me. law school is like an auschwitz concentration camp where the sign reads "work hard to gain your freedom" but in reality you're really digging your own grave. once you discover the truth you ask what is the point of living.

but coming here, i realize i am not alone in this. there are others who are just as frustrated and depressed. this problem isn't unique to you. and seeing this supportive environment where others with the same problem come together and give each other emotional and career support is a saving grace. i know it is for me. being in school did shield us from the reality of unemployment sinking in. now i feel more hopeful and i view this as a temporary phase that just requires a little more output from you but it will come to an end. all you need is one employer to say yes to you and it gets easier after that. i feel more prepared to go through this phase because if you're not prepared you're only going to be hit with shock once unemployment hits. so kudos to the community here


Hey man, I understand you're under a lot of stress and you're in a super shitty situation. I'm really sorry to hear that but keep trudging on, it'll get better. Despite how awful you may feel, there's just no excuse for the bolded and it's REALLY not cool. Please edit out and I'll remove my comment.

It's a frustrating and terrible situation, but it will get better and you're not alone. Please don't lash out by saying things like the bolded.

BigTimeCuck
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:07 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby BigTimeCuck » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:52 pm

njdevils2626 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:just popping in to comment that i'm beyond relieved to have discovered this thread. before, i felt terribly alone like i was living in a nightmare and i was encompassed in suicidal thoughts. picking law has been one of the worst decisions of my life (maybe at least for the short term). it's been so humiliating that you have sacrificed so much of yourself in law school and worked harder than so many other people. in the minds of non-legal people you are seen as this 'prestigious and successful person', but in reality you are piss poor broke and in serious debt. a minimum wage worker in fast food is living a better life than you.

and it really got to me. law school is like an auschwitz concentration camp where the sign reads "work hard to gain your freedom" but in reality you're really digging your own grave. once you discover the truth you ask what is the point of living.

but coming here, i realize i am not alone in this. there are others who are just as frustrated and depressed. this problem isn't unique to you. and seeing this supportive environment where others with the same problem come together and give each other emotional and career support is a saving grace. i know it is for me. being in school did shield us from the reality of unemployment sinking in. now i feel more hopeful and i view this as a temporary phase that just requires a little more output from you but it will come to an end. all you need is one employer to say yes to you and it gets easier after that. i feel more prepared to go through this phase because if you're not prepared you're only going to be hit with shock once unemployment hits. so kudos to the community here

.
Last edited by BigTimeCuck on Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 27229
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:55 pm

You can confirm that most young lawyers feel like they're in a concentration camp? Really? Not sure it's njdevils who's intolerable here.

BigTimeCuck
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:07 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby BigTimeCuck » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:05 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:You can confirm that most young lawyers feel like they're in a concentration camp? Really? Not sure it's njdevils who's intolerable here.


.

Anonymous User
Posts: 293744
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:00 pm

So how's the post-bar search going all?

User avatar
Hand
Posts: 3714
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Hand » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:05 pm

Checking in baby

Anonymous User
Posts: 293744
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:03 pm

Is document review really that bad?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.