The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rad lulz

Platinum

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by rad lulz » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:15 pm

Assumpsit wrote:Am I being too cynical / quick to jump the law job ship ? I go to a T30, not good grades, good amount of law school work (1L,2L, and entire 3L year) and some pre law school with local government - I am starting to look for local/state government jobs that interest me.

Compare this to the rest of my class who by and large don't have jobs unless they were LR or their parents got them a job - they are just kind of wallowing in misery because right now there is nothing available. I know some stuff opens up this summer and around bar/passage time - but I don't feel like sitting here hoping something will materialize is a good plan. I increasingly think that by looking for alternative jobs that I will be passing up a very mediocre legal job field, especially with my grades.
If you don't care that much about being a lawyer, do it man

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:20 pm

I think that if you think you will be happy doing non-law jobs and can find something to service your debt and give you some kind of life, you should look for those kinds of jobs.

Don't fall for the sunk cost fallacy of law school. If you are going to be happy, healthy, and wealthy in another job that isn't legal, don't worry about the fact that you spent three years getting a JD. It's only people like me who won't be happy unless they are doing a lawyer job that I would advise not to at least consider non-law jobs. And I'm desperate enough I'm considering non-law jobs now too...

Also, and very importantly, nothing says you can't apply to both at once.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:37 pm

spleenworship wrote:I think that if you think you will be happy doing non-law jobs and can find something to service your debt and give you some kind of life, you should look for those kinds of jobs.

Don't fall for the sunk cost fallacy of law school. If you are going to be happy, healthy, and wealthy in another job that isn't legal, don't worry about the fact that you spent three years getting a JD. It's only people like me who won't be happy unless they are doing a lawyer job that I would advise not to at least consider non-law jobs. And I'm desperate enough I'm considering non-law jobs now too...

Agree w this

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:55 pm

rad lulz wrote:
spleenworship wrote:I think that if you think you will be happy doing non-law jobs and can find something to service your debt and give you some kind of life, you should look for those kinds of jobs.

Agree w this

co-signed

sundontshine

Bronze

Post by sundontshine » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:22 pm

I decided I didn't really want to be a lawyer by the beginning of 3L after trying out both litigation and transactional SA positions, but decided to finish out the degree because I figured it would still be useful for some non-law jobs. After a few months of searching, I landed a non-law job that I'm actually excited about and is an amazing place to start my career. I couldn't be happier to get started in a few months, and know I would have been miserable in comparison as an attorney.

Definitely don't feel bad about looking at non-law jobs. Just make sure you have a very good answer to "why don't you want to be a lawyer?" ready to go. Think of a few main talking points you want to hit on in response to that for when you're asked, since from experience I know you'll be asked dozens and dozens of times. It may take some time to land what you want, but if you know you wouldn't be happy as an attorney, or at least think you would be equally happy as an attorney or doing something else, go for it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lbg0125

New

Post by lbg0125 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:28 pm

Anybody have tips for an interview with a small, boutique-ish firm that practices in an area completely opposite of everything on my resume? I have a pretty solidly litigation-oriented resume and I have an interview coming up with a firm that does m&a/securities/corporate work. It interests me but I have no idea why I was chosen for an interview. I applied because I apply to virtually anything I might remotely be qualified for and did not expect it to pan out at all.

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:41 pm

Anything on your resume that they could be interested in? Grades, work experience, alumni connection, etc?

lbg0125

New

Post by lbg0125 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:47 pm

I was an articles editor on a business-related journal and have some coursework in those areas, but that is really it. I don't have direct ties to the area, no alumni connections/personal connections of any kind. I think it just goes to show that sometimes random/seemingly small things matter and that this whole process can be really arbitrary.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:52 pm

Well... Play up the journals and classes. If asked directly about the lit v. trans experience just be honest that it means you have more to learn, but you'd be thrilled to do so.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:00 pm

lbg0125 wrote:I was an articles editor on a business-related journal and have some coursework in those areas, but that is really it. I don't have direct ties to the area, no alumni connections/personal connections of any kind. I think it just goes to show that sometimes random/seemingly small things matter and that this whole process can be really arbitrary.
I would say something along the lines of - I came to law school not knowing exactly what I wanted to do but wanting to use my analytical ability. I surrounded myself with a variety of experiences but during my journal work I knew I wanted to practice in this area so I took classes like X and Y.

Your answers and knowledge about the firm and its work will be the convincer to your answer. Know what they do cold and be able to weave that into your why this firm question or why this practice area question.

Good luck!

lbg0125

New

Post by lbg0125 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:08 am

spleenworship wrote:Well... Play up the journals and classes. If asked directly about the lit v. trans experience just be honest that it means you have more to learn, but you'd be thrilled to do so.
JohannDeMann wrote:I would say something along the lines of - I came to law school not knowing exactly what I wanted to do but wanting to use my analytical ability. I surrounded myself with a variety of experiences but during my journal work I knew I wanted to practice in this area so I took classes like X and Y.

Your answers and knowledge about the firm and its work will be the convincer to your answer. Know what they do cold and be able to weave that into your why this firm question or why this practice area question.

Good luck!

Thanks guys, I think I need to not overthink this and just sell my qualifications/interest in the firm (which are genuine!).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:28 am

sundontshine wrote:I decided I didn't really want to be a lawyer by the beginning of 3L after trying out both litigation and transactional SA positions, but decided to finish out the degree because I figured it would still be useful for some non-law jobs. After a few months of searching, I landed a non-law job that I'm actually excited about and is an amazing place to start my career. I couldn't be happier to get started in a few months, and know I would have been miserable in comparison as an attorney.

Definitely don't feel bad about looking at non-law jobs. Just make sure you have a very good answer to "why don't you want to be a lawyer?" ready to go. Think of a few main talking points you want to hit on in response to that for when you're asked, since from experience I know you'll be asked dozens and dozens of times. It may take some time to land what you want, but if you know you wouldn't be happy as an attorney, or at least think you would be equally happy as an attorney or doing something else, go for it.
After clerking for a year in a trial level court, I've pretty much also settled on the fact that I don't want to be a lawyer. I know, the decision came late, but I fought off my doubt throughout school because I had great grades and all that. Would you mind me asking what type of non-law job you landed? I am K-JD and I'm finding it difficult to even know where to look for non-law jobs. I have applied to a few non-profits but haven't really gotten many bites. I'm particularly interested in education, if that helps. Also, what was your answer to "why don't you want to be a lawyer?" - I never know how to answer that and sound like I'm not just a flake. Anyone's advice would be great. Thanks.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
sundontshine wrote:I decided I didn't really want to be a lawyer by the beginning of 3L after trying out both litigation and transactional SA positions, but decided to finish out the degree because I figured it would still be useful for some non-law jobs. After a few months of searching, I landed a non-law job that I'm actually excited about and is an amazing place to start my career. I couldn't be happier to get started in a few months, and know I would have been miserable in comparison as an attorney.

After clerking for a year in a trial level court, I've pretty much also settled on the fact that I don't want to be a lawyer. I know, the decision came late, but I fought off my doubt throughout school because I had great grades and all that. Would you mind me asking what type of non-law job you landed? I am K-JD and I'm finding it difficult to even know where to look for non-law jobs. I have applied to a few non-profits but haven't really gotten many bites. I'm particularly interested in education, if that helps. Also, what was your answer to "why don't you want to be a lawyer?" - I never know how to answer that and sound like I'm not just a flake. Anyone's advice would be great. Thanks.
What didn't you like about clerking in a trial level court?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:After clerking for a year in a trial level court, I've pretty much also settled on the fact that I don't want to be a lawyer. I know, the decision came late, but I fought off my doubt throughout school because I had great grades and all that. Would you mind me asking what type of non-law job you landed? I am K-JD and I'm finding it difficult to even know where to look for non-law jobs. I have applied to a few non-profits but haven't really gotten many bites. I'm particularly interested in education, if that helps. Also, what was your answer to "why don't you want to be a lawyer?" - I never know how to answer that and sound like I'm not just a flake. Anyone's advice would be great. Thanks.
Personally, I looked for non-law jobs and ended up with a job in consulting with a couple weeks to spare before graduation. I wanted to work in business, and this was a natural fit. You really need to find something where some aspect of your JD (coursework, critical thinking, reading, writing, research, etc.) will be an asset to the job, and then sell that. I started my search hoping people would just ignore the JD and interview me based on my undergraduate major, but I realized pretty quickly that the jobs that were the most receptive were ones were law school would help, even if they typically never hire JDs. As far as I know, the company I'll be working for had never hired someone straight out of law school, but I was able to package my experience in the right way that they understood all that I could bring to the table.

For why I didn't want to be an attorney, I mainly focused on a few key points, after refining my answer over and over again with the help of some mentors. Basically said I didn't think it allowed me to do as much creative thinking as I'd have liked (since arguments almost always need some basis in precedent/statutes), I didn't like the adversarial nature as much as I'd expected to (and consulting lets you work with, rather than against people), and that the only law school courses I actually enjoyed were the business courses that had less to do with law and more to do with negotiating, tax, etc.

Maybe not the best answer possible, but I tailored it based on what I actually believe and what I learned people would understand. You have to put yourself in their position and have an answer they'll understand despite never being in law school or being an attorney themselves. And you don't want them to ever be able to say, "You said you didn't want to be an attorney because you don't like X, well here at XYZ Corp we do things similar to X all the time." And if you don't believe what you're saying, and are just saying what you think they want to hear, they'll pick up on that quickly when they ask you some follow-up questions. So keep that in mind. Just ask yourself what don't you like about being a lawyer, tailor it to make it understandable, and go for it.

Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:49 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What didn't you like about clerking in a trial level court?
I don't dislike clerking per se, but it's made me realize I don't love most areas of law. Constitutional law, civil rights, and education law related stuff are really the only things that don't bore me to tears, and I haven't had much luck finding something in those areas because they're competitive and have very few entry level opportunities. I've just realized, basically, that I should've gone to a different type of grad school, but I've realized this a little on the late side.

I'm still hoping I can find something at a non-profit, or a college/university that will allow me to use some of the knowledge that I have from my JD - but, with little to no actual work experience, I think I've pretty much screwed myself haha

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:After clerking for a year in a trial level court, I've pretty much also settled on the fact that I don't want to be a lawyer. I know, the decision came late, but I fought off my doubt throughout school because I had great grades and all that. Would you mind me asking what type of non-law job you landed? I am K-JD and I'm finding it difficult to even know where to look for non-law jobs. I have applied to a few non-profits but haven't really gotten many bites. I'm particularly interested in education, if that helps. Also, what was your answer to "why don't you want to be a lawyer?" - I never know how to answer that and sound like I'm not just a flake. Anyone's advice would be great. Thanks.
Personally, I looked for non-law jobs and ended up with a job in consulting with a couple weeks to spare before graduation. I wanted to work in business, and this was a natural fit. You really need to find something where some aspect of your JD (coursework, critical thinking, reading, writing, research, etc.) will be an asset to the job, and then sell that. I started my search hoping people would just ignore the JD and interview me based on my undergraduate major, but I realized pretty quickly that the jobs that were the most receptive were ones were law school would help, even if they typically never hire JDs. As far as I know, the company I'll be working for had never hired someone straight out of law school, but I was able to package my experience in the right way that they understood all that I could bring to the table.

For why I didn't want to be an attorney, I mainly focused on a few key points, after refining my answer over and over again with the help of some mentors. Basically said I didn't think it allowed me to do as much creative thinking as I'd have liked (since arguments almost always need some basis in precedent/statutes), I didn't like the adversarial nature as much as I'd expected to (and consulting lets you work with, rather than against people), and that the only law school courses I actually enjoyed were the business courses that had less to do with law and more to do with negotiating, tax, etc.

Maybe not the best answer possible, but I tailored it based on what I actually believe and what I learned people would understand. You have to put yourself in their position and have an answer they'll understand despite never being in law school or being an attorney themselves. And you don't want them to ever be able to say, "You said you didn't want to be an attorney because you don't like X, well here at XYZ Corp we do things similar to X all the time." And if you don't believe what you're saying, and are just saying what you think they want to hear, they'll pick up on that quickly when they ask you some follow-up questions. So keep that in mind. Just ask yourself what don't you like about being a lawyer, tailor it to make it understandable, and go for it.

Good luck!
This could be a dumb question, but I'm going to ask anyway: what does a consultant actually do? How does a person get this type of job? I always see "consulting" as a popular alternate use for a JD, but I don't really know what that entails.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
This could be a dumb question, but I'm going to ask anyway: what does a consultant actually do? How does a person get this type of job? I always see "consulting" as a popular alternate use for a JD, but I don't really know what that entails.
This is a really broad question... It's almost like asking what an attorney does. It varies quite a bit based on industry, project, etc. However, basically a consultant is a project-based role. The consultant's job is to solve problems using their critical thinking skills.

It's kind of a "catch-all" title for a business-world job where you're hired more for your ability to solve problems than for any specific knowledge.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:03 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
This is a really broad question... It's almost like asking what an attorney does. It varies quite a bit based on industry, project, etc. However, basically a consultant is a project-based role. The consultant's job is to solve problems using their critical thinking skills.

It's kind of a "catch-all" title for a business-world job where you're hired more for your ability to solve problems than for any specific knowledge.
If I have zero experience in the business world, is this still something I could do because of my J.D.? I have top grades at a T2 school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:04 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This is all true.

I worked for a consulting firm that did bankruptcy work and some consultants had MBA's, other PhD's and many just bachelor's degrees but with a lot of work experience. The consultants, depending on their experience analyzed the bankrupt companies' finances, restructured their staffing, managed investor and press issues, helped find buyers where there was any sale process, etc.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

If I have zero experience in the business world, is this still something I could do because of my J.D.? I have top grades at a T2 school.
Yeah, it is. Assuming you have the skills and brainpower for it. I know a lot of consulting places view JDs as approximately equal with MBAs.

sundontshine

Bronze

Post by sundontshine » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You'll have a better shot if you have a STEM or business undergrad, but even if you don't, it's definitely worth looking into. Check out some niche consulting firms that do work in an industry like education that you're interested in. At the end of the day, consulting is really about solving problems and interacting with clients, both of which are skills similar to those you learn in law school.

Also, I'd check your LinkedIn and try and talk to some friends/connections who are in consulting to hear what they do every day and if they'd be able to recommend you internally for positions. Going into a company via a reference will give you a much better shot as a non-traditional candidate with a JD. I know from experience a lot of firms will just blind-reject a candidate who's applying straight out of law school who applies online since they'll be confused why he's looking for that type of position rather than being an attorney. A reference can help sell the recruiter on why you're applying.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

duckpunchingmaniac

New

Post by duckpunchingmaniac » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:21 pm

I wouldn't mind looking for a non-lawyer job but the regular law job search has me burnt out. Not sure what to look at and I don't think my tv spec scripts are gonna get me a job in LA anytime soon.

duckpunchingmaniac

New

Post by duckpunchingmaniac » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Good luck!
Consulting? Did you go to Harvard or something? Because I thought pedigree, like in law, was huge there?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:05 pm

duckpunchingmaniac wrote: Consulting? Did you go to Harvard or something? Because I thought pedigree, like in law, was huge there?
Nope. Just a solid, but non-Ivy undergrad, T40 law school, and demonstrated interest in their area of focus. There are consulting firms other than MBB.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:21 am

Consulting kind of sucks though. It is not the holy grail nor is it easy to get into even if you have a JD.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”