The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Bikeflip

Gold

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by Bikeflip » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:51 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:Sucks spleen.
Got dinged from 2 non lawl jerbs last week. Need to work on my "Why are you giving up on teh lawl" answer.
What was your undergrad major/any work experience? I always spun this question by saying something like "I left my job to pursue an advanced degree knowing that I wanted to go back into the business world. I decided on a JD over an MBA because I thought it would give me more versatility combined with my finance bachelor's degree. I spent the last two summers working at law firms to make sure I really didn't want to be an attorney, and after those experiences I can confidently say that I am set on re-entering the business world upon graduation."

Lib Arts. 1 yr of unrelated experience. Currently on a bullshit fellowship position to pad my schools employed at 9 mos stats, and resume screams pub interest work. One of the jobs was for a short term financial compliance position, like 6 months, so I played up my transaction courses and how their contract work could help me become a more well rounded person for something like a non-profit exec director. I phrased it that way b/c the question was something like "how would this position, along with your interest in social justice further, your career?" The answer would have been different if it was for a more permanent position, but my answer still reeked of bullshit. Esp since I fumbled with it and the interview ended like 30 seconds later.

I can better field the "why X when you do Y" question if the job is a legal position.

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:54 pm

Heh, at least I have a legal interview for a gubmint position I really want. Got the interview offer while driving, so hopefully they email me the info over like they said they would. I at least know where to go and when to show up and speaking to a friend who works for that gubmint in a different office has filled me in on some of the details I missed.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:57 pm

Congrats on the interview!

tikiman4725

New

Post by tikiman4725 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:10 pm

Hey, first time poster here.

3L in thick of the vale right now. Looking to apply for as many jobs as I can but I'm having trouble finding postings that are hiring "incoming class of 2014" positions. I'm working at a (very) small firm now and even if (and it's a big if) they hire me on afterward, it'll be a clerk, not as an associate.

My question is, where have you guys been finding job postings? I can't really find anything besides craigslist and simplicity.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:20 pm

tikiman4725 wrote:Hey, first time poster here.

3L in thick of the vale right now. Looking to apply for as many jobs as I can but I'm having trouble finding postings that are hiring "incoming class of 2014" positions. I'm working at a (very) small firm now and even if (and it's a big if) they hire me on afterward, it'll be a clerk, not as an associate.

My question is, where have you guys been finding job postings? I can't really find anything besides craigslist and simplicity.

I wish I could answer your question because I'm in the same boat. Nobody seems to be hiring anyone. Even the small ones firms seem to want experience.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:39 pm

tikiman4725 wrote:Hey, first time poster here.

In addition to those 2, I've also been looking at LinkedIn, Glassdoor, and Indeed. Indeed is the most disorganized of the three, but I think I've been having the best luck on there in terms of response rate.

hous

Bronze

Post by hous » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:50 pm

I made a thread that links you to various job search resources. Check it out, I really hope it helps someone.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:48 am

3L here, just landed an interview for a state trial court clerkship. First nibble I've had in months. I really want to do DA work but I've applied to every office in the state and either got letters telling me nothing's available or dat radio silence. One DA actually talked to me and said there are a lot more "career DAs" that aren't leaving and now his office can afford to be picky, so they typically only hire with experience. Is a state trial court clerkship (in the state I want to practice in) a good way to get into the DA's office?

legalese_retard

Bronze

Post by legalese_retard » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:3L here, just landed an interview for a state trial court clerkship. First nibble I've had in months. I really want to do DA work but I've applied to every office in the state and either got letters telling me nothing's available or dat radio silence. One DA actually talked to me and said there are a lot more "career DAs" that aren't leaving and now his office can afford to be picky, so they typically only hire with experience. Is a state trial court clerkship (in the state I want to practice in) a good way to get into the DA's office?
Yes. If you do get the job, make sure the judge is aware of your goals after the clerkship. Depending on the judge, you will be constant contact with the DAs Office. Be sure to check with your judge to see what sort of contact you can and cannot have while you are clerking (i.e. whether you can grab coffee and talk about jobs with a DA that doesn't practice in your court).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:3L here, just landed an interview for a state trial court clerkship. First nibble I've had in months. I really want to do DA work but I've applied to every office in the state and either got letters telling me nothing's available or dat radio silence. One DA actually talked to me and said there are a lot more "career DAs" that aren't leaving and now his office can afford to be picky, so they typically only hire with experience. Is a state trial court clerkship (in the state I want to practice in) a good way to get into the DA's office?
Is the judge a former prosecutor? If so, and if s/he still has contacts in the DA's office, it could be a huge asset (assuming the judge goes to bat for you).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:53 am

Lincoln wrote:
Is the judge a former prosecutor? If so, and if s/he still has contacts in the DA's office, it could be a huge asset (assuming the judge goes to bat for you).
Not a former prosecutor. Edit: What is the likelihood the judge is going to ask for a transcript at or after the interview? My grades will almost definitely kill my chances. I miraculously picked up a few CALIs so my resume makes me look like a good student, but my 1L grades completely tanked my gpa for the remainder of law school. The initial application did not ask for a transcript but I'm terrified he's going to ask my overall GPA at the interview.

Pretzel_Logic

Platinum

Post by Pretzel_Logic » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:44 pm

*table flip meme*

Didn't get yet another job. Just...employers, stop telling me how great I am right before you fail to offer me a job. If I was as awesome as you're saying you'd give me the damn job. Stop lying and tell me a real reason. :evil:

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:18 pm

Good luck anon and hugs Pretz. I know the feel.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:18 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:*table flip meme*

Didn't get yet another job. Just...employers, stop telling me how great I am right before you fail to offer me a job. If I was as awesome as you're saying you'd give me the damn job. Stop lying and tell me a real reason. :evil:
Sucks. Sorry.

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:24 pm

Rejected for a school funded fellowship. Over 70 applicants. Sigh.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:17 pm

jaydizzle wrote:Rejected for a school funded fellowship. Over 70 applicants. Sigh.
What was their criteria for this? That sounds rather bizarre.

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:17 pm

Open to current 3Ls, recent grads, and those with up to 2 years of experience. Fricken sucks. They should have just had it open to our class.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:41 pm

jaydizzle wrote:Open to current 3Ls, recent grads, and those with up to 2 years of experience. Fricken sucks. They should have just had it open to our class.
That part is just stupid. If you have 2 years of experience, you can get a real job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:08 pm

feeling the depths of despair right now ... also hope i don't fail the mpre this weekend :( :( :(

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:feeling the depths of despair right now ... also hope i don't fail the mpre this weekend :( :( :(
It's pretty random. But also not super hard. If you study for 3-6 hours you'll be as prepared as everyone else. Good luck!

jess

Post by jess » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:23 am

Last edited by jess on Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:22 pm

Interview went well. I hit the right tone, but my last question was rambly. :|

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:32 pm

How eager is too eager? Interview for state high court clerkship today, went well, he asked, without making an offer, if I could let him know by tuesday if I was interested in moving forward, knowing that I had other pending post interview applications I wanted to hear back on. Ive since contacted those employers and would like to move forward. Would I somehow look bad if I called him tomorrow?

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How eager is too eager? Interview for state high court clerkship today, went well, he asked, without making an offer, if I could let him know by tuesday if I was interested in moving forward, knowing that I had other pending post interview applications I wanted to hear back on. Ive since contacted those employers and would like to move forward. Would I somehow look bad if I called him tomorrow?
I think of all positions, a clerkship is one you won't look too eager for by an early contact (though I think in this scenario it holds true for basically all positions). If anything he will appreciate knowing since he may have other people he is interviewing or considering interviewing.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:14 pm

Jessuf wrote:I haven't had an interview in ages. I talked to my clinic supervisors about how I want to be a PD but have been rejected everywhere that hires pre-bar. They recommended I try a state trial ct clerkship here since they know some crim judges who had e-mailed them looking for clinic students to clerk for them in the fall. I sent off apps 3 weeks ago and have heard nothing. My professor was really surprised and weirded out when I told her I haven't gotten a call from anyone yet. I can't figure out what is wrong with my resume. It looks pretty solid to me. I also was hoping to fall back on an unpaid post-bar clerkship at the local PD office in CA and just live with parents for free, but it appears I am going to get rejected for that too. My school sucks and doesn't really have fellowships for students except highly specialized ones in areas of law I have 0 experience like environmental law.

Keep your chin up. Something will come through.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”