The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
chrisbru

Gold

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by chrisbru » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:41 am

Bikeflip wrote:You're my boy, bru!
I laughed at this longer than I should have haha.

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:41 am

chrisbru wrote:
Wohoo congrats! All I have going for me is my PMF interview in January. God, I really want it!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:43 am

jaydizzle wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
Wohoo congrats! All I have going for me is my PMF interview in January. God, I really want it!
You'll kill it, no worries!

The irony out of all of this... Is the firm was an OCI that I probably would have never even thought about if they didn't come to campus. So I guess I have to stop hating on CSO all the time now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:46 am

chrisbru wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
You'll kill it, no worries!

The irony out of all of this... Is the firm was an OCI that I probably would have never even thought about if they didn't come to campus. So I guess I have to stop hating on CSO all the time now.
i got my offer through a simplicity posting so all is forgiven with career services. would never have even known about the job if it wasnt for them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:47 pm

Question: What are the rules regarding backing out of an accepted offer? I don't have an offer yet, but if I got one, accepted, then a few months later got a better offer, what are the consequences of calling the first offer and turning it down?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Question: What are the rules regarding backing out of an accepted offer? I don't have an offer yet, but if I got one, accepted, then a few months later got a better offer, what are the consequences of calling the first offer and turning it down?
I did this. There weren't any consequences, except for the firm I reneged on being unhappy about it. I also left the market they were in, so no harm done imo.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Question: What are the rules regarding backing out of an accepted offer? I don't have an offer yet, but if I got one, accepted, then a few months later got a better offer, what are the consequences of calling the first offer and turning it down?
I did this. There weren't any consequences, except for the firm I reneged on being unhappy about it. I also left the market they were in, so no harm done imo.
So no bar repercussions either?

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So no bar repercussions either?
Member of the PA bar in good standing. Not sure how changing jobs would be a reportable offense.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:13 pm

Bedsole wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So no bar repercussions either?
Member of the PA bar in good standing. Not sure how changing jobs would be a reportable offense.
Dishonesty, maybe, is all I can think of. Needless to say, the idea makes me a little nervous, but its good to hear that its happened and nothing negative.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:44 pm

Perhaps you should focus on actually getting an offer. However, there are no rules. This is your life. If you need to renege for a better opportunity then damnit, renege.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:51 pm

sparty99 wrote:
Perhaps you should focus on actually getting an offer. However,there are no rules. This is your life. If you need to renege for a better opportunity then damnit, renege.
Wow, way to be a dick again, man. Here, I fixed your quote for you so you can be helpful without being abrasive.

OP - have you asked career services?

Speaking of, career services has been largely unhelpful in helping me evaluate my offer to see if the salary is comparable to other firms its size. Anyone know what small-town, 2-10 attorney firms pay?

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:35 pm

chrisbru wrote:
sparty99 wrote:
Perhaps you should focus on actually getting an offer. However,there are no rules. This is your life. If you need to renege for a better opportunity then damnit, renege.
Wow, way to be a dick again, man. Here, I fixed your quote for you so you can be helpful without being abrasive.

Speaking of, career services has been largely unhelpful in helping me evaluate my offer to see if the salary is comparable to other firms its size. Anyone know what small-town, 2-10 attorney firms pay?

What state?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:35 pm

chrisbru wrote:
sparty99 wrote:

Depends on the work

Can be all over the place

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:31 am

chrisbru wrote:
sparty99 wrote:

I've seen as low as 25K and as high as 60K. Hard to tell without knowing firm reputation and state/city.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:37 am

Iowa. General practice. I'll be doing a lot of family law and court-appointed criminal defense as the lead attorney, and helping attorneys on other cases. And a lot of tax work during tax season, including working Saturdays late January to mid April.

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:40 am

chrisbru wrote:Iowa. General practice. I'll be doing a lot of family law and court-appointed criminal defense as the lead attorney, and helping attorneys on other cases. And a lot of tax work during tax season, including working Saturdays late January to mid April.
In Indiana, it's around 40-50k for a small firm like that.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:41 am

chrisbru wrote:Iowa. General practice. I'll be doing a lot of family law and court-appointed criminal defense as the lead attorney, and helping attorneys on other cases. And a lot of tax work during tax season, including working Saturdays late January to mid April.
Shouldn't be under I would say you're looking at the 40-45K department to start (you said 2-10 attorneys, the closer the firm is to 10 the more chance I think it may be in the 45-50K department though).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:41 am

jaydizzle wrote:
That's a big range. I'd be happier with the top end of that, but the offer was more on the low end.

Any tips for salary negotiation?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:48 am

jaydizzle wrote:
Can try Robert Half Legal for a potential range. http://www.roberthalf.com/legal/salary-calculator. Idk how accurate or helpful it is.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:58 am

Had my callback interview over dinner last night. They also had me prepare a project for them to present that they said was done well and the hiring partner made a joke about how if it wasn't I wouldn't have been sitting there cause they would have cancelled the interview. 3 hour interview in total between the presentation and dinner. I can't really interview better than I did last night so its out of my hands now, but hopefully this works out. I like the people, the practice area and the firm. Honestly I would want to hang out with those guys at a golf course even if I didn't work with them at the firm. I am waiting on results from 2 other interviews and have another one scheduled for next week (with my bottom choice by far, honestly) but I'm just hoping to hear back from this firm soon as they are my top choice and have everything I'm looking for.

As an aside, I took the train in and the engine broke down in the middle of the trip right before we hit the station I was getting off at. We coasted into the station and they announced that everyone needed to get off while they repair the engine. If that engine blows just one station earlier I'm not sure if I even make this interview as I would be stuck in the middle of nowhere. Hopefully thats a sign that this job is happening.

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:02 am

chrisbru wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:
That's a big range. I'd be happier with the top end of that, but the offer was more on the low end.

Any tips for salary negotiation?
I know career services typically sucks, but talk with them. Yeah, it really is a big range. In Indy, it might be more like 45+ if the firm is doing well. Elsewhere, it will be on the lower side typically from what my classmates have been telling me. I would be happy with any job right now, here is to hoping something will pop up before I graduate.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:06 am

jaydizzle wrote: I know career services typically sucks, but talk with them. Yeah, it really is a big range. In Indy, it might be more like 45+ if the firm is doing well. Elsewhere, it will be on the lower side typically from what my classmates have been telling me. I would be happy with any job right now, here is to hoping something will pop up before I graduate.
Don't get me wrong, I am happy about the job. But I'm also nervous about the money. Based on a 10-year repayment, HALF of each paycheck would go to loans and I'd be living worse than I did even in undergrad. And yeah, yeah, there is IBR/PAYE... But I want to at least pay interest, and would feel disgusting paying over $600/month and having my loans not get any smaller at all.

Edit: According to Robert Half, Salary Range: $43,914 - $61,479. My salary doesn't even come into the bottom of that range. Is Robert Half data legit to use in salary negotiation?

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:09 am

chrisbru wrote:
jaydizzle wrote: I know career services typically sucks, but talk with them. Yeah, it really is a big range. In Indy, it might be more like 45+ if the firm is doing well. Elsewhere, it will be on the lower side typically from what my classmates have been telling me. I would be happy with any job right now, here is to hoping something will pop up before I graduate.
Don't get me wrong, I am happy about the job. But I'm also nervous about the money. Based on a 10-year repayment, HALF of each paycheck would go to loans and I'd be living worse than I did even in undergrad. And yeah, yeah, there is IBR/PAYE... But I want to at least pay interest, and would feel disgusting paying over $600/month and having my loans not get any smaller at all.

I feel you, I am in the same boat. I guess worst case scenario is tough it out for 2 years and look for something better paying after 2 years?

On a side not, are you still in law school?

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:13 am

jaydizzle wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

I feel you, I am in the same boat. I guess worst case scenario is tough it out for 2 years and look for something better paying after 2 years?

On a side not, are you still in law school?

Yeah, I graduate in May.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:16 am

Good luck, Barbell. Rooting for you!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”