The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:38 pm

FInalist for a SSC clerkship and first round for a cool policy fellowship in my area of interest. Fingers crossed.

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:56 pm

Damn. Didn't get the job I took a chance and flew in to interview for. Interviewed one day, rejected the very next. Nearly 11 months post-grad.... hurts bad man. It feels like my life and career are both at a complete standstill.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:46 am

cowgirl_bebop wrote:Damn. Didn't get the job I took a chance and flew in to interview for. Interviewed one day, rejected the very next. Nearly 11 months post-grad.... hurts bad man. It feels like my life and career are both at a complete standstill.
Hugs. I'm still unemployed after 11 months as well, so you are not alone.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:00 pm

Dinged from one of my top choices :-/. Still have a couple of other things that could work out but big blow that I didn't see coming :( .

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:48 pm

Interview tomorrow but no clue who I am interviewing with (emailed them asking but never got a response). It's a boutique firm so I've learned their major current matters, but I don't think I'm going to remember something about everyone. Any tips on how to prep for this?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:15 pm

Officially out of the vail!! Got an offer this morning from a boutique firm in NYC. Have an interview tomorrow but so relived to have something in my pocket. Thanks to everyone in this thread that kept my hopes up!

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:37 pm

Rlabo wrote:Officially out of the vail!! Got an offer this morning from a boutique firm in NYC. Have an interview tomorrow but so relived to have something in my pocket. Thanks to everyone in this thread that kept my hopes up!
Congrats! Glad to hear things worked out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:24 am

Ugh, being pressured to pick up a retail job. Didn't I complete 7 years of education to not do stuff like that? Sorry not Sorry!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:53 am

Advice needed please...

Interviewed with a V100 firm in NYC on 3/3. I apparently made it past the first round of interviews, because I spoke iwth more partners on 3/10. They told me they would call back regarding call backs the week of 3/17. I followed up on 3/22, and have since heard nothing. Should I follow up again? or just chalk this one up to a no-go?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Catsinthebag

Bronze

Post by Catsinthebag » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:Advice needed please...

Interviewed with a V100 firm in NYC on 3/3. I apparently made it past the first round of interviews, because I spoke iwth more partners on 3/10. They told me they would call back regarding call backs the week of 3/17. I followed up on 3/22, and have since heard nothing. Should I follow up again? or just chalk this one up to a no-go?
Had a similar situation. At some point, on principle, you just want to hear/read the 'no' if that is indeed the outcome!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:25 am

Is sending unsolicited resumes to smaller firms a waste of time? I have a particular practice area I am especially interested in, but it's not like a 4 attorney firm is just going to decide to take on an associate on a whim right?

Also, for immediate hire positions, do you just say you would be willing to work as a clerk before you (presumably) pass the bar? Or is that a waste of time too?

Finally, postings that ask you to include salary requirements. Any thoughts on how to approach this?

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is sending unsolicited resumes to smaller firms a waste of time? I have a particular practice area I am especially interested in, but it's not like a 4 attorney firm is just going to decide to take on an associate on a whim right?

Also, for immediate hire positions, do you just say you would be willing to work as a clerk before you (presumably) pass the bar? Or is that a waste of time too?

Finally, postings that ask you to include salary requirements. Any thoughts on how to approach this?
I recently got an interview this way. In my first wave I targeted about 30 small firms and solos in my target city who were involved in the practice areas I was interested and had a background in. Some of them never responded, some responded saying they weren't hiring, and one invited me for an interview. I ended up being dinged for lack of experience, but it was worth a shot. I think if you can just show that you are actually interested in that practice area it's not a terrible idea.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:52 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is sending unsolicited resumes to smaller firms a waste of time? I have a particular practice area I am especially interested in, but it's not like a 4 attorney firm is just going to decide to take on an associate on a whim right?

I recently got an interview this way. In my first wave I targeted about 30 small firms and solos in my target city who were involved in the practice areas I was interested and had a background in. Some of them never responded, some responded saying they weren't hiring, and one invited me for an interview. I ended up being dinged for lack of experience, but it was worth a shot. I think if you can just show that you are actually interested in that practice area it's not a terrible idea.
Good to know. Working at a small firm doing this type of work in my target area would be absolutely perfect, so for the cost of a few stamps, I suppose it's worth it. I have some experience, between clinical work and some hourly work I'm doing for a solo currently, so I'll try and sell that. Thanks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:20 pm

Well friends, I am officially out of the Vale. Was offered and accepted a clerking position this afternoon. Thank you to everyone for the optimism and encouragement. For those of you still looking, never give up. It took a ton of No's before getting that Yes. Go Cubs

chicharon

Silver

Post by chicharon » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:35 am

Job post removed. Thank you to everyone who responded!
Last edited by chicharon on Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:51 pm

Finally out of the Vale!! I received an offer this afternoon and am really excited. Temp/trial basis until fall, then they'll reevaluate and hope to bring me on permanently then. The pay + benefits package is sadly much less than I'd hoped for, but I think I will at least get some good experience out of it and the people I met were absolutely fantastic. Feels good to finally hear a yes!

Tls2016

Silver

Post by Tls2016 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:48 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:Finally out of the Vale!! I received an offer this afternoon and am really excited. Temp/trial basis until fall, then they'll reevaluate and hope to bring me on permanently then. The pay + benefits package is sadly much less than I'd hoped for, but I think I will at least get some good experience out of it and the people I met were absolutely fantastic. Feels good to finally hear a yes!
Congrats. Good job on sticking with it even through discouragement. Very happy for you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:35 pm

Congrats cowgirl!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:12 pm

I'm also out of the Vale!

The circumstances are kind of atypical and I'd love to get some thoughts on it all. If someone is willing to lend an ear I'd appreciate it.

Best of luck to those still in the Vale. For what it's worth, I thought I was done for. I had very few bites (more like nibbles) until this one, but it really does only take one.

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:33 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:Finally out of the Vale!! I received an offer this afternoon and am really excited. Temp/trial basis until fall, then they'll reevaluate and hope to bring me on permanently then. The pay + benefits package is sadly much less than I'd hoped for, but I think I will at least get some good experience out of it and the people I met were absolutely fantastic. Feels good to finally hear a yes!
Congrats!! Happy to hear :D

MsAvocadoPit

Bronze

Post by MsAvocadoPit » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:43 pm

So great to see many leaving the vale :).

I am checking in, with some good news! I have an interview at a mid-sized firm. Got it through networking, no official job posting. If this works out, I feel like I will be that person who says it's all about who you know.

I attend a strong regional school, but clearly out of range from t14 or t50. My friends from the 2015 class who graduated without jobs are actually being hired as of March/April!

Keep going everyone!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm also out of the Vale!

The circumstances are kind of atypical and I'd love to get some thoughts on it all. If someone is willing to lend an ear I'd appreciate it.

Best of luck to those still in the Vale. For what it's worth, I thought I was done for. I had very few bites (more like nibbles) until this one, but it really does only take one.
Congrats to you and cowgirl!

I'd be happy to help if I can.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:05 am

Sullivan & Cromwell HK was looking (maybe still is) if anyone speaks Mandarin

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sullivan & Cromwell HK was looking (maybe still is) if anyone speaks Mandarin
How should I apply? Just email recruiting?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:55 pm

Starting to get really, really down on myself. 3L, SA no offer (for business reasons), T20, top 20%, lots of bits but nothing sticking. Confidence is running low and motiviation to finish 3L strong is absent. Fuuuuuck this noise.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”