The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
a male human

Gold

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by a male human » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:02 pm

Were the hypos related to the practice area at all at least? It does sound like a good way to test your "technical" skills.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:10 am

lukertin wrote:I'd rather take hypos in an interview than some stupid discussion on meaningless bullshit nobody actually cares about. I would have been relieved.
There are some interviews I'd actually prefer this too. For me I think it depends on the interviewers. If we are having a nice conversation, I don't need a hypo. But if it's a little awkward, which it so often is, then some hypos can really help things move along. Of course, that assumes I don't bomb the hypo.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:54 pm

Why not give the interviewer a hypo?

sidhesadie

Bronze

Post by sidhesadie » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:56 pm

spleenworship wrote:
lukertin wrote:
spleenworship wrote:If you have an 11:59 pm deadline for filing, it really doesn't matter where you are working, you aren't reading Where the Wild Things Are. The bigger the firm, the more deadlines you are likely to be working on project for.
Sure. But being in the same room as your kid is different from not being there at all.
I'm guessing you aren't a parent bro. IMO its worse. Little kids don't understand how momma or dadda is home but not paying attention to them.

Exactly---plus I think non-parents seriously overestimate how much actual work you can accomplish with a small child present. They aren't dogs. You can't just like, put them in a kennel till you finish the brief. And yeah, small children are still concrete thinkers. Even if they understand work vs home, if you're HOME you're not at WORK so why won't you play with me? Home is way harder.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:58 pm

a male human wrote:Why not give the interviewer a hypo?

I've thrown the interviewer a softball hypo twice. One time it went really badly (with a state justice no less). One time it went really well (AF JAG interview). So I don't know...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:00 pm

sidhesadie wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
lukertin wrote:
spleenworship wrote:If you have an 11:59 pm deadline for filing, it really doesn't matter where you are working, you aren't reading Where the Wild Things Are. The bigger the firm, the more deadlines you are likely to be working on project for.
Sure. But being in the same room as your kid is different from not being there at all.
I'm guessing you aren't a parent bro. IMO its worse. Little kids don't understand how momma or dadda is home but not paying attention to them.

Exactly---plus I think non-parents seriously overestimate how much actual work you can accomplish with a small child present. They aren't dogs. You can't just like, put them in a kennel till you finish the brief. And yeah, small children are still concrete thinkers. Even if they understand work vs home, if you're HOME you're not at WORK so why won't you play with me? Home is way harder.
If I have to watch my son it takes seriously 1.5 hours to do dishes for 4 people for 2 days.

whatsyourdeal

New

Post by whatsyourdeal » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:07 pm

The hypos involved the unique clientele, but spanned conlaw and crimpro concepts. They were typical what would you do if a client called you with an urgent situation.

Ex: lets say this is health law. Client is CEO of a large provider. He calls you up at 3 in the morning bc there are cops at his house with a warrant. You live 2 hrs away. What do you do?

This was the easiest of the 3 hypos. And yes, I prefaced with "I would call the partners first" before providing the answer.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:31 pm

whatsyourdeal wrote:The hypos involved the unique clientele, but spanned conlaw and crimpro concepts. They were typical what would you do if a client called you with an urgent situation.

Ex: lets say this is health law. Client is CEO of a large provider. He calls you up at 3 in the morning bc there are cops at his house with a warrant. You live 2 hrs away. What do you do?

This was the easiest of the 3 hypos. And yes, I prefaced with "I would call the partners first" before providing the answer.
Wow.

whatsyourdeal

New

Post by whatsyourdeal » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:33 pm

^ what dirty harry said

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:49 pm

whatsyourdeal wrote:^ what dirty harry said

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
whatsyourdeal wrote:^ what dirty harry said
Good use of anon bro.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:24 pm

sparty99 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Posting anonymously because someone may be able to identify me from the skimp information, though I'd think not likely.
Turned down a job in OC in March for the simple fact I do not want to live in Southern California - when I say this, I mean no friends, no family. I know a lot of you will say you need to take everything you can get, but this was one of those situations where I wasn't willing to set my life trajectory onto something and some place I didn't want to do/be.
BUT! I have a phone interview in a week for a tax consulting position. Yeah, I know it's only a phone interview, but it's the biggest bite I've had in a LONG time, and haven't had any bites at all (I'm currently doing a post bar clerk position, which will absolutely not lead to full-time). Though it's just a phone interview, I am going to spend the next week prepping and praying to every deity that has every been acknowledged.
Ugh...feel free to message me about that job you turned down, so I can apply. The west coast is the best coast, bro.
Ha, this was in March and through campus recruiting; they promptly offered to the next person behind me that had interviewed after I turned it down.
Also, agreed re: west coast, but SF Bay Area for me, not LA/OC

superhanz

New

Post by superhanz » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:01 pm

Hey fellow 3L derelicts! I have five year on-and-off relationship with a small law firm that I would be glad to work for after I graduate. I worked for this firm as a legal assistant during the time I spent between undergrad and law school. I also summered at this firm for the past two years. I was born in raised in the city where the firm is located, and I have strong ties to the community. I get along with all of the partners and staff, and several partners have informally told me that they would be glad to hire me as an associate after I graduate. Moreover, I truly enjoy the work they give me, and this is one of the only jobs I have had where I was actually excited to head of to in the morning.

This summer, the firm's only associate quit. Being the vulture that I am, I swooped in and offered to extend my summer associate gig into the school year. I now have the associate's office--fuck yes!--but I have not received any formal offer of employment after graduation. In addition, one of the partners gave me a small MVA case, adding that if the case ends up going to trial he would let me get my feet wet in the courtroom since I would have already passed the bar by then. However, a local trial lawyer with several, million dollar jury verdicts under his belt has expressed interest in joining the firm, which has only added to my anxiety.

My concern is whether my extended summer associate position will actually ripen into a full offer upon graduation. I was thinking about asking one of the partners, but I am a bit nervous about rocking the boat. If I would ask, I would do it sometime around December. What do you folks think? Should I not say anything and just keep grinding until I graduate?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lukertin

Silver

Post by lukertin » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:16 pm

why would you be more nervous about another partner joining the firm? more work for you.

mr. wednesday

Bronze

Post by mr. wednesday » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:21 pm

superhanz wrote: My concern is whether my extended summer associate position will actually ripen into a full offer upon graduation. I was thinking about asking one of the partners, but I am a bit nervous about rocking the boat. If I would ask, I would do it sometime around December. What do you folks think? Should I not say anything and just keep grinding until I graduate?
So you worked there 1L and 2L summer? That would make me nervous, to have never worked anywhere else not knowing if this place will hire you. Have you sent out any other applications? Do you have any other prospects?

I would probably start applying to some other places rather than asking this place around December for a permanent offer. If you get another job offer you can take it to the firm and see if they want you there instead, and it would give you a backup. If you don't get another offer, you'll be in the exact same position as you are now.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:26 pm

With that much time spent there, you shouldn't have any qualms about asking a partner (preferably one you've worked with a lot) about post-grad employment. They are most likely expecting it. But ask and get clarification.

superhanz

New

Post by superhanz » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:27 pm

lukertin wrote:why would you be more nervous about another partner joining the firm? more work for you.
That is true, but he will get my plush office and I will be forced back to gulag--that is, my old area

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:23 am

how have you heard about this other lawyer? it could be some sort of test, to see if you would take it, or go talk to someone about it? Since this is your future, talk to your boss about it asap. That way, if you do send applications, and another firm calls to inquire about you, your other boss wont be blindside.

Geist13

Silver

Post by Geist13 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:55 am

northwood wrote:it could be some sort of test, to see if you would take it, or go talk to someone about it?
what?

lukertin

Silver

Post by lukertin » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:37 am

northwood wrote:if you do send applications, and another firm calls to inquire about you
the fuck?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:00 pm

Geist13 wrote:
northwood wrote:it could be some sort of test, to see if you would take it, or go talk to someone about it?
what?
I meant to say it could be some sort of test to see how long you would wait to go talk about your future at the firm ( which they could use as a way to judge how interested you are in staying there). If so, it would be better to know for sure if they are leaning towards hiring you, or going another route. By doing this, if you send out applications ASAP, and someone calls to inquire about you, you wont be ruffling anyone's feathers.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:57 pm

I'd get clarification now. It's fucking 3L and down to the wire.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:46 pm

spleenworship wrote:I'd get clarification now. It's fucking 3L and down to the wire.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:34 pm

Um, hello? You need to ask for the JOB TOMORROW. DO NOT WASTE ANYMORE TIME.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:17 am

2 weeks since No Offer Day and I am seriously just paralyzed. I know I have to get things done and applications out, but I just have no clue how to go about it. I am having a hard time caring about anything, including class or applying for jobs. This is the worst feeling ever.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”