Clerkship app: when school doesn't rank

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Clerkship app: when school doesn't rank

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:02 am

Hi, my school does not rank us, so I don't know where I stand exactly. Many of the judges on Oscar have some sort of percentile requirement. Because my school doesn't rank, I can't put a rank. Does this mean my app will get tossed from the beginning? Should I indicate somewhere that my school does not rank?

Citizen Genet

Re: Clerkship app: when school doesn't rank

Postby Citizen Genet » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:14 am

It is going to vary chambers to chambers. How the clerks or judge cull applicants is unique to each chambers. I have heard of one judge who personally reviews every resume. I know of another who pulls every application from roughly the top 20, and then just pulls top 10% of other specific schools he is interested in. And I know clerks who have said they just pull the top 10% of top 10 schools and top 5% of everywhere elae. I am sure that other judges have other approaches. (One circuit judge relies exclusively on recommendations from professors she knows.) Point is, it depends on the judge and the prominence of your school to the judge

Return to “Legal Employment”