Asking Professor for Job Help?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Asking Professor for Job Help?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:08 am

Anyone have experience/advice for asking an adjunct professor to put in a good word with the recruiter at his/her firm that is currently hiring 3Ls? I'm around top 10% at a T2 so it's still a bit of a stretch at his/her firm, but I booked the class so I don't think it's completely out of line.

spleenworship

Re: Asking Professor for Job Help?

Postby spleenworship » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have experience/advice for asking an adjunct professor to put in a good word with the recruiter at his/her firm that is currently hiring 3Ls? I'm around top 10% at a T2 so it's still a bit of a stretch at his/her firm, but I booked the class so I don't think it's completely out of line.

I asked a prof for something like this for a 1L summer gig, and here is what I did. YMMV, obviously: I would just talk to them about what they do there, what the culture is like, and if they have any advice to someone wanting to work there. If they want to help you out, they'd almost certainly volunteer to do so then. If they don't then you'll have lost basically nothing.

Return to “Legal Employment”