Failed to e-mail all documents

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273582
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Failed to e-mail all documents

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:14 am

I have a CB on Friday with a biglaw firm and I just realized that out of the documents the recruiter told me to e-mail him, I forgot to e-mail a cover letter. I sent everything else, transcript, resume, references, writing sample. What the hell should I do now? I e-mailed everything about a week ago and she did not mention anything afterward.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Failed to e-mail all documents

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:27 am

Considering it's a cover letter I would probably just do nothing. Cover letters generally get binned anyways so it's not like they're losing something critical (e.g. references, writing sample, transcript).

I think you're better off hoping they forget rather than calling attention to it by sending an essentially useless document.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273582
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Failed to e-mail all documents

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:31 am

bk1 wrote:Considering it's a cover letter I would probably just do nothing. Cover letters generally get binned anyways so it's not like they're losing something critical (e.g. references, writing sample, transcript).

I think you're better off hoping they forget rather than calling attention to it by sending an essentially useless document.


Ok, I don't know how I missed it. What surprises me even more is why would they ask for a cover letter for a CB when they did not ask one for the screener at OCI?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Failed to e-mail all documents

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Ok, I don't know how I missed it. What surprises me even more is why would they ask for a cover letter for a CB when they did not ask one for the screener at OCI?


It is odd. I did have 1 screener that asked for it at the screening stage during OCI (which was also odd).

To add a counterpoint to my previous contention: you might be safe in sending it since I'm assuming it is to a recruiting contact. In that case none of your interviewers will notice the difference and none of the attorneys on the hiring committee will know you forgot it initially.

I'm not actually sure which is best at this point, though my guess is since it's a cover letter it *probably* won't matter.

NewYorkStork
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:08 pm

Re: Failed to e-mail all documents

Postby NewYorkStork » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:41 am

For what it's worth, I had one recruiting contact tell me to send a cover letter, and after I expressed some confusion since I didn't initially have to provide one she apologized and said I didn't have to provide one in that case (only have to provide copies of what I originally provided + a list of references). She explained that she was confused because they require them at some schools' OCIs and not others. I would have to second others' opinions that you don't send one. I would, however, bring one with you to the interview itself. OCS has told me before to ask the recruiter to make sure my file is complete when I initially see them before I start my actual interviews, and to offer additional materials if they would like them. Maybe you can try asking him or her if your file is complete when (s)he greets you, and if she says a cover letter is missing just hand it to her.
Last edited by NewYorkStork on Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273582
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Failed to e-mail all documents

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have a CB on Friday with a biglaw firm and I just realized that out of the documents the recruiter told me to e-mail him, I forgot to e-mail a cover letter. I sent everything else, transcript, resume, references, writing sample. What the hell should I do now? I e-mailed everything about a week ago and she did not mention anything afterward.



fwiw, i got an offer from a firm i forgot to mail something the recruiter specifically asked for. if it's something stupid like a cover letter, especially after you've met a bunch of attorneys, i wouldn't bother




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.