Decide My Career Path

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Options

Option 1
4
44%
Option 2
3
33%
Option 3
2
22%
 
Total votes: 9

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Decide My Career Path

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:08 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Still undecided though . . .
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3142
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Decide My Career Path

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:26 pm

Do you want academia or do you want to make partner? If you'd like to bail in a few years to teach, then the lack of partnership credit for clerking shouldn't really matter. If you want to make partner, then there doesn't seem to be much reason to clerk (considering these firms don't seem to put much stock in it).

I'd probably take firm #2, if it's true that the money is more or less equivalent. If you're competitive for clerkships now, you will probably be able to get one if, after practicing a few years, you decide you want to or need to do it to advance your career. The only real risk is that it sounds like the stars have aligned to get you a clerkship opportunity right now and that may not happen again, but you don't sound extremely excited about doing it anyway.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Decide My Career Path

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:30 pm

^ Preference would be to make partner then reevaluate whether I want to do academia since that would be a huge pay cut.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18425
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Decide My Career Path

Postby bk1 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:33 pm

I mean you could be an adjunct, but according to my naive impressions it seems like the academy would be distrustful of someone with that much actual experience. And legal academia pays pretty damn well.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Decide My Career Path

Postby Renzo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:^ Preference would be to make partner then reevaluate whether I want to do academia since that would be a huge pay cut.


You can't do this. Academics have a disdain for practicing attorneys that is almost impossible to overcome.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Decide My Career Path

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:38 pm

Renzo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:^ Preference would be to make partner then reevaluate whether I want to do academia since that would be a huge pay cut.


You can't do this. Academics have a disdain for practicing attorneys that is almost impossible to overcome.


Not sure that this is necessarily true. Based on profiles, it looks like the majority of the professors at my school (and particularly those in my preferred field) were in practice for at least 7-10 years before becoming professors.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Decide My Career Path

Postby fatduck » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:^ Preference would be to make partner then reevaluate whether I want to do academia since that would be a huge pay cut.

why don't you just access your trust fund?

anon168
Posts: 920
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Re: Decide My Career Path

Postby anon168 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:03 am

You should clerk. No matter which option you choose.
Last edited by anon168 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Decide My Career Path

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:07 am

^ thanks.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Decide My Career Path

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:10 am

Lol he quoted you.

I'm just weirded out by the question. On what planet do you have a shot at a circuit clerkship but you can only get a V50 firm? I probably have no shot at a circuit clerkship and have V10 offers and a V5 callback.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Decide My Career Path

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:Lol he quoted you.

I'm just weirded out by the question. On what planet do you have a shot at a circuit clerkship but you can only get a V50 firm? I probably have no shot at a circuit clerkship and have V10 offers and a V5 callback.


I could have worked with a higher-ranked firm (and received offers from a couple of V10s), but not in my area. I don't want to leave my region, and I actually liked the V-50 when interviewing. Given that I'm not really concerned about exit options, I'm not sure that the Vault rankings really make that much difference (the pay at the V50 is similar to much higher-ranked firms in the area). Not sure that it's really something to be weirded out about.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Decide My Career Path

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Lol he quoted you.

I'm just weirded out by the question. On what planet do you have a shot at a circuit clerkship but you can only get a V50 firm? I probably have no shot at a circuit clerkship and have V10 offers and a V5 callback.


I could have worked with a higher-ranked firm (and received offers from a couple of V10s), but not in my area. I don't want to leave my region, and I actually liked the V-50 when interviewing. Not sure that it's really something to be weirded out about.

You're the rare law student who's not a prestige whore, then. That's great, but that's why it caught me by surprise.

I especially think you should clerk, then, because (from my prestige whore mindset) it lets you put that gold star on your resume that you chose not to when choosing firms. That could be huge down the road when/if you want to lateral.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Decide My Career Path

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Lol he quoted you.

I'm just weirded out by the question. On what planet do you have a shot at a circuit clerkship but you can only get a V50 firm? I probably have no shot at a circuit clerkship and have V10 offers and a V5 callback.


I could have worked with a higher-ranked firm (and received offers from a couple of V10s), but not in my area. I don't want to leave my region, and I actually liked the V-50 when interviewing. Not sure that it's really something to be weirded out about.

You're the rare law student who's not a prestige whore, then. That's great, but that's why it caught me by surprise.

I especially think you should clerk, then, because (from my prestige whore mindset) it lets you put that gold star on your resume that you chose not to when choosing firms. That could be huge down the road when/if you want to lateral.


That's probably fair. I chose a lower-ranked law school with a scholarship and did something similar in job hunting. Prestige has never been a big thing to me, but, with the interest in academia and the potential need to lateral eventually, I think a clerkship is probably the right move. My inclination right now is to clerk (if I get it) and go with firm one, but I like hearing what others think.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.