Idle Musings, Clerkship Chances?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Mroberts3

Idle Musings, Clerkship Chances?

Postby Mroberts3 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:11 pm

I decided a few weeks ago to apply to the on plan judges through OSCAR. All my apps are pretty much ready to go when the gates open on the 4th. I've seen a variety of threads where people talk about clerkships/guestimate on someone's chances, so I'm curious to see what people say about my app.

T20, top 10%, LR (no board and no note published).
Edit: recs should be pretty good but not amazing. One from the dean, another from my note advisor who I had several classes with, and last from my writing professor. Maybe some calls on my behalf, but probably not many.

Applying to about 250 district court judges across the country and about 60 magistrate judges.

As a side note, I am currently not on law review for 3L because I have a lot of other commitments, but the EIC recently mentioned that they might need another senior editor type person -- would doing this significantly boost my resume for clerkships or will I just hate myself for having to do more cite checking stuff?

TLS collective wisdom: ready, go!

nevdash

Re: Idle Musings, Clerkship Chances?

Postby nevdash » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:49 pm

Similar here; T30, top 15%, LR (no board no note published), recommendations from two profs (one whose class I booked and in which I participated regularly) and one from a federal COA judge with whom I interned. Also applied to about 250 district court judges, no magistrates, and my state's SC. If anyone also wants to comment on my chances, that would be great.

As far as yours, seems solid. Being within the top 10% cutoff seems huge, which is why I'm super angry that I missed it by a couple hundredths of a point. I doubt that the e-board position would be all that much of a boost; I've heard that EIC is really the only position that makes a huge difference. You might be better off using the time to kill your 3L grades just in case you strike out so that you can strengthen your chances applying as an alum (if that's an option for you).

Good luck!

Mroberts3

Postby Mroberts3 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:08 pm

For my sake I hope you are right about the 10% thing, but it seems unfair because I'm just barely inside of it and people like you are just outside of it. Maybe list your gpa and then list what the cutoff is. GPA: 3.6 (Top 10% = 3.62) so is obvious how close you are.

I also hope you are right about the LR board positions...LR sucks and I don't want to do it all year if it wont help my apps (would be especially annoyed if I strike out).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:15 pm

I am in my 2nd fed clerkship & you both have better stats

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:02 pm

Id assume both you guys will nab something, even in this economy since you applied so broadly.

I am T30, top 20%, secondary journal board and applied to over 150 district and magistrate positions. Figure I was fringe candidate, but the process was fairly painless and the potential payoff could be huge so I decided to give it a shot. I'm totally cool with spending 2yrs in North Dakota and don't mind being geographically constrained. Right now its all about experience and finding something post-graduation. Think one thing that may help is I've shown a commitment to public service? Maybe?

Anyways best of luck to all you guys

Return to “Legal Employment”