Dinner the Night Before Callback--Same Suit Okay?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Dinner the Night Before Callback--Same Suit Okay?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:22 am

The title basically sums it up...I have a dinner appointment one night w/Firm A and a full CB the following afternoon. I only have one real suit, but I could bring a different set of trousers/blazer to wear for dinner and then wear the suit for the normal CB. I'd prefer just to pack one suit, but I'm thinking it might be a little awkward if I meet the dinner people during the CB while wearing the same exact clothing as the night before. TYIA for any insights!

Sup Kid
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: Dinner the Night Before Callback--Same Suit Okay?

Postby Sup Kid » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:The title basically sums it up...I have a dinner appointment one night w/Firm A and a full CB the following afternoon. I only have one real suit, but I could bring a different set of trousers/blazer to wear for dinner and then wear the suit for the normal CB. I'd prefer just to pack one suit, but I'm thinking it might be a little awkward if I meet the dinner people during the CB while wearing the same exact clothing as the night before. TYIA for any insights!

Same suit is fine, but have a different shirt/tie combo (with different colored shirts being best).

imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Dinner the Night Before Callback--Same Suit Okay?

Postby imchuckbass58 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:28 am

Trousers/blazer could be a good option if it's explicitly designated as business casual. If you really need to wear a suit to dinner, I would say don't worry about wearing the same one as long as you switch your shirt and tie for the callback (i.e., blue suit, blue shirt, red tie for dinner; blue suit, white shirt, blue tied for CB).

Most men's suits are fairly anonymously colored (blue/grey) so most people won't notice, especially if you're wearing a different shirt and tie.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Dinner the Night Before Callback--Same Suit Okay?

Postby romothesavior » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:30 am

Make sure that the dinner is actually business attire. Sometimes they are business casual, and they do mean business casual.

If you have to wear the same suit, you'll be fine. Just mix up the shirt/shoes/tie and no one is likely to notice.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Dinner the Night Before Callback--Same Suit Okay?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:36 am

OP here...I kind of just assumed business casual but never got actual confirmation on it, although the firm's dress code intra-office seems to be business casual. Main problem with just changing shirt/tie is that I kinda only have one tie that matches the suit :\

ninja edit: Wait, if it's business casual does that mean I don't have to wear a jacket at all??

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Dinner the Night Before Callback--Same Suit Okay?

Postby romothesavior » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here...I kind of just assumed business casual but never got actual confirmation on it, although the firm's dress code intra-office seems to be business casual. Main problem with just changing shirt/tie is that I kinda only have one tie that matches the suit :\

ninja edit: Wait, if it's business casual does that mean I don't have to wear a jacket at all??

What market is this in?

And what color is this suit? If it is navy or charcoal (which it should be) then you should have plenty of tie options. I really wouldn't worry too much about it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Dinner the Night Before Callback--Same Suit Okay?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:40 am

romothesavior wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here...I kind of just assumed business casual but never got actual confirmation on it, although the firm's dress code intra-office seems to be business casual. Main problem with just changing shirt/tie is that I kinda only have one tie that matches the suit :\

ninja edit: Wait, if it's business casual does that mean I don't have to wear a jacket at all??

What market is this in?

And what color is this suit? If it is navy or charcoal (which it should be) then you should have plenty of tie options. I really wouldn't worry too much about it.


Texas; it's a navy with pinstripes. I only have two ties, one of which matches the suit and the other which matches my other trousers/jacket. Kinda underequipped for this process, I'm finding...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Dinner the Night Before Callback--Same Suit Okay?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:36 am

i dont think BB really cares if you wear the same suit to both




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.