Is This Offensive?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Borg

Is This Offensive?

Postby Borg » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:49 pm

--LinkRemoved--

I really don't understand why this is such a bad thing. It sounds like an attorney who has some medical issues and needs some help getting back and forth from doctors appointments offering a part time job for a law student who might want some extra cash but doesn't want to commit to a lot of hours. He's a successful UCLA alum and a lawyer in entertainment law, which is a notoriously cliquey industry, offering the opportunity for an interested student to maybe get some insight and even a foot in the door. I don't get the outraged tone of the article.

Anonymous User

Re: Is This Offensive?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:08 am

Borg wrote:http://abovethelaw.com/2010/08/ucla-law-offers-most-depressing-job-to-a-law-student-2010-edition/#disqus_thread

I really don't understand why this is such a bad thing. It sounds like an attorney who has some medical issues and needs some help getting back and forth from doctors appointments offering a part time job for a law student who might want some extra cash but doesn't want to commit to a lot of hours. He's a successful UCLA alum and a lawyer in entertainment law, which is a notoriously cliquey industry, offering the opportunity for an interested student to maybe get some insight and even a foot in the door. I don't get the outraged tone of the article.

I have no problem with it. But to people who feels entitled, oh yes.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Borg wrote:http://abovethelaw.com/2010/08/ucla-law-offers-most-depressing-job-to-a-law-student-2010-edition/#disqus_thread

Solid anon post.

The real issue is that it's framed in a way as if to say, do this and it may turn into a law job. My guess is people go to UCLA in order to have access to OCI and career services, they pay $50K+/year and then get this email. And the author has a point, this sounds like a job you would offer a high school kid or maybe college student, not a law student.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:17 am

Who the fuck cares? ATL is so shitty.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:26 am

I would take that job in a heartbeat.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:04 am

Tom Joad wrote:I would take that job in a heartbeat.

Too late. I just accepted the offer. Did not mean to be anon.

Borg

Postby Borg » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:09 am

Icculus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Solid anon post.

The real issue is that it's framed in a way as if to say, do this and it may turn into a law job. My guess is people go to UCLA in order to have access to OCI and career services, they pay $50K+/year and then get this email. And the author has a point, this sounds like a job you would offer a high school kid or maybe college student, not a law student.

Sure, obviously the ideal way to make things happen is for career services to hand you a job at Proskauer or Sheppard Mullin or whatever. But we all know that doesn't always happen, and it's not the school's fault when it doesn't. UCLA is a good school, but they can't magically give everyone a job representing Tom Hanks. I just think the sense of entitlement in the tone of the article is crazy. I'd definitely be willing to drive someone around a little bit if I wanted some beer money and to make a connection in entertainment law.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:56 am

Borg wrote:
Icculus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Solid anon post.

Sure, obviously the ideal way to make things happen is for career services to hand you a job at Proskauer or Sheppard Mullin or whatever. But we all know that doesn't always happen, and it's not the school's fault when it doesn't. UCLA is a good school, but they can't magically give everyone a job representing Tom Hanks. I just think the sense of entitlement in the tone of the article is crazy. I'd definitely be willing to drive someone around a little bit if I wanted some beer money and to make a connection in entertainment law.

My stance is that the school should not be using it's position (aka the ability to email every student) to find a chauffeur for an alum.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:00 am

Solid 2010 find, brother.

Borg

Postby Borg » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:20 am

rad lulz wrote:Solid 2010 find, brother.

Right, because the date of the article makes it irrelevant. I really should set up a Google alert so that any time anyone in the world mentions law school I hear about it, and I should post on here 24/7 like you. You're the biggest douche on this site.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:26 am

Borg wrote:

Right, because the date of the article makes it irrelevant. I really should set up a Google alert so that any time anyone in the world mentions law school I hear about it, and I should post on here 24/7 like you. You're the biggest douche on this site.

butthurt alert

top30man

Postby top30man » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:36 am

wiseowl wrote:
Borg wrote:

butthurt alert

That seemed like a bit of a harsh reaction.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:40 am

Borg wrote:

He has a passion for the law.

Postby 20130312 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:51 am

Borg wrote:

This is why I love TLS.

Borg

Postby Borg » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:57 am

top30man wrote:
wiseowl wrote:
Borg wrote:

butthurt alert

That seemed like a bit of a harsh reaction.

Yeah I know. He really is a douche though.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:19 pm

Borg wrote:Yeah I know. He really is a douche though.

Return to “Legal Employment”