DPW, S&C or STB ?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DPW, S&C or STB ?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:48 pm

Looking to do corporate work. Not sure if I want capital markets, M&A, etc. Sitting on offers from all three firms.

rayiner

Re: DPW, S&C or STB ?

Postby rayiner » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Looking to do corporate work. Not sure if I want capital markets, M&A, etc. Sitting on offers from all three firms.

Where would you rather work? If financial district -> go to S&C.
Otherwise, if you don't get your preferred practice area, would you rather be slotted into capital markets or M&A? If the former, go to DPW. Otherwise go to STB.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:11 am

I'm actually in the exact same boat deciding between these three, but for litigation. Not to highjack, but any recommendations either way?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm actually in the exact same boat deciding between these three, but for litigation. Not to highjack, but any recommendations either way?

I know a couple people at SullCrom doing litigation who have mentioned to me that they're a little unhappy with the direction that the department is going in. Being neither interested in litigation nor in SullCrom, I don't usually ask a lot of follow-up questions. I don't know much about STB's lit work, but I think that generally speaking, DPW is a fantastic place to practice litigation. Some really great people with fantastic exit options.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:07 am

rayiner wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Looking to do corporate work. Not sure if I want capital markets, M&A, etc. Sitting on offers from all three firms.

Otherwise, if you don't get your preferred practice area, would you rather be slotted into capital markets or M&A? If the former, go to DPW. Otherwise go to STB.

lol what. all of these firms do roughly similar quality cap markets and M&A work. the difference to any given associate is minimal. at best, the kinds of clients differ slightly, in the the way that artificial sweeteners differ. if you have a preference for working with a certain kind of client, take that in to consideration, but realize that there will be overlap. you need to feel out where you feel most comfortable yourself.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rayiner wrote:

lol what. all of these firms do roughly similar quality cap markets and M&A work. the difference to any given associate is minimal. at best, the kinds of clients differ slightly, in the the way that artificial sweeteners differ. if you have a preference for working with a certain kind of client, take that in to consideration, but realize that there will be overlap. you need to feel out where you feel most comfortable yourself.

I didn't say anything about the quality of the practices. I was referring to the probability of being slotted into non-first choice practices based on the size of the practices at the respective firms. It's unlikely, but does happen.

Return to “Legal Employment”