What to expect from a Small firm callback?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What to expect from a Small firm callback?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:50 pm

Does anyone know what a small firm call back is like? (The firm I have a call back with is around 13 attorneys, and it's their only office).

Is it qualitatively different from a big firm call back?
Are the chances better or worse?
Or is it really a random crap shoot because it's a small firm?

The CB i have said to expect a 1 1/2 hour interview, which seems shorter than most big firm call backs.

badaboom61

Re: What to expect from a Small firm callback?

Postby badaboom61 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:53 pm

These tend to vary a lot. If it's 1.5 hours then it will probably be interviews with 3-5 attorneys. They might also swing you around other offices and let you introduce yourself to all the attorneys at work. Don't expect lunch.

You should prepare roughly the same way as any other callback. A 20-30 minute interview with a lawyer won't be very different whether the firm has 13 or 1300 lawyers.

Anonymous User

Re: What to expect from a Small firm callback?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:03 pm

Just had one of these yesterday. Met with two attorneys for about an hour. We didn't really cover any information that wasn't covered in the initial screening interview - their questions were the same. Only thing they told me was how important fit was for a small firm and if I was a good fit, I'd get a permanent offer because they want to hire their clerks. But I have no idea if I'll fit or not, and neither do they. It seems like a pretty iffy thing and I'd feel more comfortable working with more people than trying to conform my personality to fit with a small handful of people.

Return to “Legal Employment”