How fast to send thank yous after callback?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: How fast to send thank yous after callback?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:10 pm

I think everyone is over thinking this. Unless you write a thank you and screw up the name/information of the firm or interviewer, I don't think it matters a ton. I have sent 1 thank you following callbacks to the recruiting manager, asking him/her to forward the note to the rest of the interviewers and I have been perfectly fine. I would send 1 thank you to the recruiting manager or send one to all interviewers, but I don't think it makes a world of difference of which one as long as you send a thank you note to someone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:16 pm

I was under the impression that you should specifically not do that because, however little it may be, you're creating extra work for the person you e-mail.

portaprokoss

Postby portaprokoss » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:58 pm

As someone wrote earlier, send them to everyone you spoke with for more than a few seconds. I send mine within twenty four hours and I always make them substantive, perhaps working in our conversation in some way. I also send snail mail thank you cards to any attorney who takes the time to speak with me on the phone before a call back. Attorneys who get many don't care. Attorneys who never get thank you cards eat it up. Ultimately I don't think the thank you is what does it, it's the name repetition. When you meet many people they all blur together. When you send a thank you it rekindles their memory of you. There lies the value with thank you cards, follow ups, phone calls, etc. You're demonstrating your interest and your name is getting around the office and people start to remember you.

I've always been able to snag positions for which I'm woefully under-qualified and I chalk it up to the ability to create a buzz without seeming like a salesman or a pest . . . plus I'm genuinely grateful for their time, and I think that comes across in the correspondence.

Return to “Legal Employment”