How fast to send thank yous after callback? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How fast to send thank yous after callback?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:29 pm

How fast do you email firms after a callback?

BlueDiamond

Silver

Re: How fast to send thank yous after callback?

Post by BlueDiamond » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:31 pm

you dont

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:35 pm

So slowly that they never go out.

grrrstick

Bronze

Post by grrrstick » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:36 pm

Unless someone specifically invited you to email them in an interview, do not do it.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:37 pm

Bronte wrote:So slowly that they never go out.
:lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:43 pm

Really? Our career services office recommends sending a thank you email to the recruiter who set the interview up asking that she extend your thanks to x, y, and z who took the time to meet with you. I think within a day or two, IIRC.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:00 pm

I suggest pre-loading thank you emails in Drafts for each interviewer and leaving a spot to fill in a generic topic they mention. As they're taking you to your next interviewer, casually edit the email and send it. They'll really appreciate having the thank you when they get back to their office.

Seriously, just send a couple line thank you after you finish dinner.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:02 pm

arism87 wrote:Really? Our career services office recommends sending a thank you email to the recruiter who set the interview up asking that she extend your thanks to x, y, and z who took the time to meet with you. I think within a day or two, IIRC.
People do it, but it basically amounts to junk mail. Just think about it: if you interviewed dozens of people (or, worse yet, were a recruiter who set up an entire OCI schedule), would you want your inbox flooded with perfunctory emails from all those people?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:02 pm

If you are sending a thank you to an associate, you would literally have to send it the moment you walked out of the building or sooner for it to matter because the associates fill out a form appraising you when you leave and that's that. Partners are different depending on hiring process.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:10 pm

Bronte wrote:
arism87 wrote:Really? Our career services office recommends sending a thank you email to the recruiter who set the interview up asking that she extend your thanks to x, y, and z who took the time to meet with you. I think within a day or two, IIRC.
People do it, but it basically amounts to junk mail. Just think about it: if you interviewed dozens of people (or, worse yet, were a recruiter who set up an entire OCI schedule), would you want your inbox flooded with perfunctory emails from all those people?
Yeah I think this (and the post below it) are probably right- but I'd rather be safe than sorry and I doubt it would count against you. I think it may on occasion get printed and put in your "file" and if that file is being reviewed in a hiring committee meeting I'd rather it be there than not.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:22 pm

our career services suggests thank yous aren't necessary but explicitly warns you not to email the recruiter and ask them to extend thanks to everyone.

lawl career services offices.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:32 pm

i do it for callbacks. usually that night. if you're not a complete idiot, it can't hurt you. probably won't help you, but it can't hurt you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:02 pm

I'm an associate. I conduct interviews for my firm - (big law/NYC Vault 100). It generally doesn't factor into my decision on whether or not I think a candidate should get an offer to join us, though if a candidate is on the bubble it sometimes does. If you don't send me a thank you, I take it as a sign that you aren't interested in our firm and/or rude. I always hand out my card and always encourage candidates to please get in touch if they have any questions, etc. If a candidate is on the bubble, I tend to wait to send in my evaluation for a reasonably amount of time for them to send a thank you (24 hrs). You can guess what my impression is of candidates I was on the fence about, who haven't bothered to send one.

Pretty depressing that the consensus on your end seems to be that thank yous are spam. They aren't. I've taken time out of my day, and if it's a lunch, that's a good chunk of time I won't be spending with my spouse/friends/tv/gym/etc that evening in order to make up for time not billed. The least a candidate can do is send an email thanking me for my time and the opportunity.

I've been thinking a lot of my interviewees are rude, but maybe they are just getting bad advice from their peers and career services.

My advice send an email the evening you meet with someone. It doesn't have to be long, just something to let them know you appreciate their time and that you're interested in the job. I can't imagine any circumstance in which it hurts you to send one, and I've just outlined above the ways in which it can hurt you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm an associate. I conduct interviews for my firm - (big law/NYC Vault 100). It generally doesn't factor into my decision on whether or not I think a candidate should get an offer to join us, though if a candidate is on the bubble it sometimes does. If you don't send me a thank you, I take it as a sign that you aren't interested in our firm and/or rude. I always hand out my card and always encourage candidates to please get in touch if they have any questions, etc. If a candidate is on the bubble, I tend to wait to send in my evaluation for a reasonably amount of time for them to send a thank you (24 hrs). You can guess what my impression is of candidates I was on the fence about, who haven't bothered to send one.

Pretty depressing that the consensus on your end seems to be that thank yous are spam. They aren't. I've taken time out of my day, and if it's a lunch, that's a good chunk of time I won't be spending with my spouse/friends/tv/gym/etc that evening in order to make up for time not billed. The least a candidate can do is send an email thanking me for my time and the opportunity.

I've been thinking a lot of my interviewees are rude, but maybe they are just getting bad advice from their peers and career services.

My advice send an email the evening you meet with someone. It doesn't have to be long, just something to let them know you appreciate their time and that you're interested in the job. I can't imagine any circumstance in which it hurts you to send one, and I've just outlined above the ways in which it can hurt you.
How disappointing.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote: If a candidate is on the bubble, I tend to wait to send in my evaluation for a reasonably amount of time for them to send a thank you (24 hrs).
There's no way you're in big law; no V100 attorney would let such an abomination slip by.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm an associate. I conduct interviews for my firm - (big law/NYC Vault 100). It generally doesn't factor into my decision on whether or not I think a candidate should get an offer to join us, though if a candidate is on the bubble it sometimes does. If you don't send me a thank you, I take it as a sign that you aren't interested in our firm and/or rude. I always hand out my card and always encourage candidates to please get in touch if they have any questions, etc. If a candidate is on the bubble, I tend to wait to send in my evaluation for a reasonably amount of time for them to send a thank you (24 hrs). You can guess what my impression is of candidates I was on the fence about, who haven't bothered to send one.

Out of curiosity, what % send them?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:53 pm

Thank you's do matter for some firms. I just went to a reception for a V25 firm, and one alum of my school/associate said that they do matter.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:20 pm

Before the interview even happens.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:Pretty depressing that the consensus on your end seems to be that thank yous are spam. They aren't. I've taken time out of my day, and if it's a lunch, that's a good chunk of time I won't be spending with my spouse/friends/tv/gym/etc that evening in order to make up for time not billed. The least a candidate can do is send an email thanking me for my time and the opportunity.
Sorry, but the amount of pretension here is breathtaking. You really think that you're doing the interviewee a favor by going to lunch? You think we don't know that associates participating in firm activities such as recruiting reflects well on associates' standing within the firm? You think interviewees don't know when associates take them out to lunch they're getting a free meal out of the deal too? Are you really so far deluded that you believe you're personally doing us a favor and that there would be no one else to take your spot if you didn't "volunteer" by responding affirmatively when the recruiting people ask (re:beg or instruct) you to do it? You think that every candidate is dying to work at your firm and that none of us are going on callbacks to give your firm a chance to sway our opinion about whether we should come to work with you?

Out of curiosity, how many thank you notes have you sent to candidates who traveled from thousands of miles away, came to your firm as your guest, and patiently sat through your barrage of questions, even though they had offers from better firms? Many times candidates are taking a day or two out of their busy schedule to come to do a callback with you and your firm and you really believe that your 30 minutes is the real sacrifice? If this isn't a troll, you need a serious ego check.

I'm neutral on the sending of thank you notes, but for an associate to expect one from every candidate? Patently absurd.

jrf12886

Bronze

Post by jrf12886 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:23 am

I send thank you letters for callbacks. I try to send them them the day after the interview.

About 1/2 the time I get a short response saying something like "It was nice meeting you too."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:29 am

Haven't sent any - got a lot of offers.

Maybe it matters to some places, but it doesn't seem to for most.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wuduhel

New

Post by wuduhel » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Pretty depressing that the consensus on your end seems to be that thank yous are spam. They aren't. I've taken time out of my day, and if it's a lunch, that's a good chunk of time I won't be spending with my spouse/friends/tv/gym/etc that evening in order to make up for time not billed. The least a candidate can do is send an email thanking me for my time and the opportunity.
Sorry, but the amount of pretension here is breathtaking. You really think that you're doing the interviewee a favor by going to lunch? You think we don't know that associates participating in firm activities such as recruiting reflects well on associates' standing within the firm? You think interviewees don't know when associates take them out to lunch they're getting a free meal out of the deal too? Are you really so far deluded that you believe you're personally doing us a favor and that there would be no one else to take your spot if you didn't "volunteer" by responding affirmatively when the recruiting people ask (re:beg or instruct) you to do it? You think that every candidate is dying to work at your firm and that none of us are going on callbacks to give your firm a chance to sway our opinion about whether we should come to work with you?

Out of curiosity, how many thank you notes have you sent to candidates who traveled from thousands of miles away, came to your firm as your guest, and patiently sat through your barrage of questions, even though they had offers from better firms? Many times candidates are taking a day or two out of their busy schedule to come to do a callback with you and your firm and you really believe that your 30 minutes is the real sacrifice? If this isn't a troll, you need a serious ego check.

I'm neutral on the sending of thank you notes, but for an associate to expect one from every candidate? Patently absurd.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Him: I'm an associate who has actually interviewed and worked on a hiring committee, here's my thoughts:
You: I'm an anonymous nobody who is going to act like an entitled douche.

That's not what anon is for, if you're going to be a d-bag, own that shit.

Rocío

Bronze

Post by Rocío » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:58 am

homestyle28 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Him: I'm an associate who has actually interviewed and worked on a hiring committee, here's my thoughts:
You: I'm an anonymous nobody who is going to act like an entitled douche.

That's not what anon is for, if you're going to be a d-bag, own that shit.
This. Holy christ I can't believe that anyone would be as self-absorbed and oblivious as anonymous. "You should be thanking ME for the pleasure of interviewing my pompous ass!"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:11 am

So basically, either don't send them, or send them individually to each attorney you met with, and the recruiter?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”