Judicial clerk mass mailing firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
damno vitando

Judicial clerk mass mailing firms

Postby damno vitando » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:05 pm

What should I put in the email subject? I was thinking "Federal law clerk interested in position for 2013". Any clerks that have mass mailed with suggestions? I would hope that mentioning I am a clerk in the subject would at least get them to open the email instead of straight to delete.

Anonymous User

Re: Judicial clerk mass mailing firms

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:43 pm

damno vitando wrote:What should I put in the email subject? I was thinking "Federal law clerk interested in position for 2013". Any clerks that have mass mailed with suggestions? I would hope that mentioning I am a clerk in the subject would at least get them to open the email instead of straight to delete.

I used "Federal Law Clerk Applicant" and received responses from all of my emails.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:16 pm

I don't see any reason to put that in the subject line. Almost any firm worth its salt has information on its website about how to apply for a position from a clerkship. I got successful outcomes from a number of firms without doing any "IAMAFEDCLURKPLZHIREZMEEE" subject lines.

Myself

Postby Myself » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:49 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

damno vitando

Postby damno vitando » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:I don't see any reason to put that in the subject line. Almost any firm worth its salt has information on its website about how to apply for a position from a clerkship. I got successful outcomes from a number of firms without doing any "IAMAFEDCLURKPLZHIREZMEEE" subject lines.

"Forum rules

Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, clerkship, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

To bad the moderators dont't enforce this.
Last edited by damno vitando on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:50 am

ajax adonis wrote:Just curious, is it really so bad out there that fed. law clerks aren't able to get positions? Or are you guys trying to find a different firm from the one you 2L summered for?

I was no offered. Summered at a small branch office in my home town. Firm said they were considering me for a transactional position and did not have the work (prior work experience is good for transactional). They gave my Judge a good reference.

I have two friends from law school that did district court clerkships and did not have jobs at the end of their clerkship. So, in answer to your question, yes it really is that bad out there.

Edit: this is op, I accidentally hit anonymous

dood

Postby dood » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:I don't see any reason to put that in the subject line. Almost any firm worth its salt has information on its website about how to apply for a position from a clerkship. I got successful outcomes from a number of firms without doing any "IAMAFEDCLURKPLZHIREZMEEE" subject lines.

if there are directions, follow them. but if none and just cold emailing, there is every reason to put that in the subject line - you need to give the reader a reason to even glance at your resume.

also, depending on your relationship with your judge, you might want to ask your judge to introduce you to any firms he has connections to. the judge i interned for 1L year made a couple calls before OCI and it worked wonders (overcame my subpar GPA).

my judge also let me look through a binder that listed where all his past clerks were working. i used google, email, linkedin and made a ton of connections ("hi, im currently a clerk for judge X, and am really interested in a post-clerkship position. i was wondering if you can give me any advice towards securing an interview with [clerk's firm]"). you'd be surprised how many people are willing to help, provided u're not a complete tool.

good luck.

Return to “Legal Employment”