Help me - trying to reconnect with a mentor

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Help me - trying to reconnect with a mentor

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:42 am

A couple years ago, a college professor introduced me to a judge who took a liking to me and was very nice and helpful. I had the typical TLS "biglaw or bust" mentality and was also short-sighted about networking, so I didn't bother to keep in touch with this judge. When I started law school last year I found out that whenever he met my professor, he'd ask after me/how I was doing, etc. I still didn't bother to keep in touch. Like I said, short-sighted idiot.

Well, now I'm a 2L and on track to strike out at OCI, and it's suddenly occurred to me that HEY REMEMBER THAT JUDGE WHO LIKED YOU? Now I'm trying to compose an email to him asking about a clerkship opportunity, and I have no idea what to say. "Sorry I forgot about you after meeting you 2 years ago, but now I need a job?" Or, "How bad does it look that I'm contacting you now only because I need you?"

I need help writing this email. What do I say? How do I phrase my clerkship request? Do I give an excuse for not keeping in touch, or just ignore it? Should I be friendly or formal? NEED HELP GUYS.

Gorki

Re: Help me - trying to reconnect with a mentor

Postby Gorki » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A couple years ago, a college professor introduced me to a judge who took a liking to me and was very nice and helpful. I had the typical TLS "biglaw or bust" mentality and was also short-sighted about networking, so I didn't bother to keep in touch with this judge. When I started law school last year I found out that whenever he met my professor, he'd ask after me/how I was doing, etc. I still didn't bother to keep in touch. Like I said, short-sighted idiot.

Well, now I'm a 2L and on track to strike out at OCI, and it's suddenly occurred to me that HEY REMEMBER THAT JUDGE WHO LIKED YOU? Now I'm trying to compose an email to him asking about a clerkship opportunity, and I have no idea what to say. "Sorry I forgot about you after meeting you 2 years ago, but now I need a job?" Or, "How bad does it look that I'm contacting you now only because I need you?"

I need help writing this email. What do I say? How do I phrase my clerkship request? Do I give an excuse for not keeping in touch, or just ignore it? Should I be friendly or formal? NEED HELP GUYS.

Dude, some social niceties are needed before blindly mailing this judge. Email asking to take him out for coffee, lunch, etc. to "catch up." At this meeting, ONLY if the reasonable person would do, bring up your bad luck. The thing about networking is its not about the immediate cash-in, but developing favors to call in later... In this case later needs to be very soon, and thus I would take the judge out or offer to meet up somewhere prior to asking for a jerb.

Myself

Postby Myself » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:16 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:00 pm

OP here. Good point. I would've actually sent that email out if you hadn't saved me.

DrGuano

Postby DrGuano » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:14 pm

Exactly what everyone else up here said. You're not going to clerk for a while anyway. Just take the time to catch up, let him know how school is going, the job search, etc. There's a chance he may even offer to help you before you even ask. As a 2L you have a ton of time before you need to secure a clerkship post-graduation.

Return to “Legal Employment”