PSA: There's NO such thing as Yield Protection

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kwais

Re: PSA: There's NO such thing as Yield Protection

Postby kwais » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:49 pm

PSA: Fresh Prince works at a V10, uses the word "we" to refer to decisions they make, is an endless pit of knowledge on all things prestige, and frankly, is just really impressive. Betta rekanize.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:55 pm

kwais wrote:PSA: Fresh Prince works at a V10, uses the word "we" to refer to decisions they make, is an endless pit of knowledge on all things prestige, and frankly, is just really impressive. Betta rekanize.

Yeah, I'm really not many of these. To the extent you have a problem with me, take it over PM. Happy to discuss there.

I could say many equally shitty things about your posts too, so better to just end that here.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:59 pm

, it's very frustrating when V100s and "smaller" firms grill you on why you want to work there, when in reality you don't have the CBs/offers from the V10s/25s that they assume you do.

You should be prepared for any such question and your answers should be tailored to that firm's strengths. I think, in terms of research, pretty much the info you can clean from chambers, ATL, and other online sources is sufficient. You don't need to know the attorneys blood type, but you should be able to articulate well reasoned and specific answers for why you want to work at each firm you interview at, no matter what the vault rank.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry to bump this contentious thread. I don't have anything to say about its thesis one way or the other. But I will say that as someone with good grades from a top school, it's very frustrating when V100s and "smaller" firms grill you on why you want to work there, when in reality you don't have the CBs/offers from the V10s/25s that they assume you do. I know that "why us" is a standard question, and I prepare for it. But to have it be the theme of an interview is very frustrating. It makes me not know how candid I should be. And yes, this happens in major markets as well.

I don't know what you mean by "candid," but small firms have a smaller margin for error. If K&E hires 3 2Ls who expressed an interest in corporate and then during the summer they realize they 100% want bankruptcy, it's not much of a problem. For firms with a sub-10 person summer class, it's a much bigger issue. Of course the firm with the smaller classes is going to want to make sure they have what you're interested in, and that they don't over-hire for something they don't do a lot of.

Also, if you have V10 credentials but no V10 CBs, I can't help but wonder if the issues that are holding you back from V10 are holding you back down the food chain too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:36 pm

Thanks for the advice. Your latter point is probably true, and time will tell whether those other factors hurt me down the road.

As for the first point, though -- I already told these firms my area of interest during OCI. I also usually noted that I was open to various practice areas, which is true. So why would they call me back in the first place if they're worried about yield, and I already told the OCI interviewer my area of interest? Is this something that the OCI interviewer would overlook, but would still become an issue at the callback stage?

-1:21

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:42 pm

CBs are about fit. Buying that you really do want to practice a certain kind of law with a certain group is a big part of fit (along with that group wanting to be with you, too).

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:52 pm

acrossthelake wrote: I have a friend who has managed to get callbacks & offers at law firms that tend to give out nothing to ppl at our school because she really knows how to fall in love with every single firm right before an interview.

I always tell the firm I love it while I'm in the middle of the interview, but once I got mine I'm gone. Afterwards I tell them I'll call. But I never do.

Seriously though, pretty sure this is a T25 issue and I shouldn't be posting in here. At my T2 there is zero YP... mostly because those firms are doing us a favor just by showing up and the top 10% are grateful to get a job with a firm that pays outside of market market.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:44 pm

this thread offers very little of value

first of all, if we're talking about callbacks here, you've basically said nothing. "firms will give offers to candidates they are reasonably sure won't accept - no firm is off the table because of your credentials." well no shit, if they called you back, you have a non-zero chance at an offer. groundbreaking.

at the screener stage, it seems like you accept that firms may evaluate your interest in the firm and factor that into their decision for CB invites. seems obvious that your credentials will be part of that evaluation - candidates with outstanding resumes presumably have many options, and (for "lower-tier" firms), presumably "better" options. again, all you're really saying here is that it's not impossible to convince a firm that you're sincerely considering them over what many would consider "better" alternatives. i mean, who would dispute that statement? of course it's possible, and in certain situations (where the firm has a particular strength/attribute that appeals to you) probably fairly easy for a competent interviewer, but in general you're gonna be working uphill versus someone interviewing with a "target" firm.

in other words, you're not wrong, walter, you're just an asshole. just say what you mean: "PSA: If you failed to convert a CB, you suck. Try harder."

Return to “Legal Employment”