2L grades on SA and Offer chances

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

2L grades on SA and Offer chances

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:20 am

It's not to say that I plan to slack off this year at all or that I don't believe I can continue to get good grades, but I am just curious what happens if someone's GPA falls in their second year after they've been offered an SA position? Do your 2L grades go into a firm's consideration of giving a full-time offer? Anecdotal evidence would be much appreciated.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11728
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: 2L grades on SA and Offer chances

Postby kalvano » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:37 am

Search for no-offer and grades. You'll find the topic has been covered extensively.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2L grades on SA and Offer chances

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:It's not to say that I plan to slack off this year at all or that I don't believe I can continue to get good grades, but I am just curious what happens if someone's GPA falls in their second year after they've been offered an SA position? Do your 2L grades go into a firm's consideration of giving a full-time offer? Anecdotal evidence would be much appreciated.

There was a no-offer at my firm this summer that was at least due in part to grades.
The grade drop was from top 5% to around top 30% at a T20. Not sure about any other details. As far as I could tell there was no HR or "fit" problems.

User avatar
existenz
Posts: 927
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:06 am

Re: 2L grades on SA and Offer chances

Postby existenz » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:47 am

It depends on the firm. I will say it is TTT as fuck to no-offer someone over 2L grades. A firm should get an idea of whether you have the right stuff based on your actual summer work product, not how you did on some professor's bullshit issue spotter.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: 2L grades on SA and Offer chances

Postby rad lulz » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It's not to say that I plan to slack off this year at all or that I don't believe I can continue to get good grades, but I am just curious what happens if someone's GPA falls in their second year after they've been offered an SA position? Do your 2L grades go into a firm's consideration of giving a full-time offer? Anecdotal evidence would be much appreciated.

There was a no-offer at my firm this summer that was at least due in part to grades.
The grade drop was from top 5% to around top 30% at a T20. Not sure about any other details. As far as I could tell there was no HR or "fit" problems.

That is a massive drop. Any Cs?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2L grades on SA and Offer chances

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:49 am

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It's not to say that I plan to slack off this year at all or that I don't believe I can continue to get good grades, but I am just curious what happens if someone's GPA falls in their second year after they've been offered an SA position? Do your 2L grades go into a firm's consideration of giving a full-time offer? Anecdotal evidence would be much appreciated.

There was a no-offer at my firm this summer that was at least due in part to grades.
The grade drop was from top 5% to around top 30% at a T20. Not sure about any other details. As far as I could tell there was no HR or "fit" problems.

That is a massive drop. Any Cs?


It's not really that huge when you think about it. If your GPA was like a 3.8, a bunch of B+s and Bs will bring that down real fast. Happened to me (mostly B+s).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2L grades on SA and Offer chances

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:19 am

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It's not to say that I plan to slack off this year at all or that I don't believe I can continue to get good grades, but I am just curious what happens if someone's GPA falls in their second year after they've been offered an SA position? Do your 2L grades go into a firm's consideration of giving a full-time offer? Anecdotal evidence would be much appreciated.

There was a no-offer at my firm this summer that was at least due in part to grades.
The grade drop was from top 5% to around top 30% at a T20. Not sure about any other details. As far as I could tell there was no HR or "fit" problems.

That is a massive drop. Any Cs?


I had a similar drop and got no offered for grades. I didn't even have a grade lower than a B.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2L grades on SA and Offer chances

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:14 am

What firm? (or as near as you feel comfortable describing)

I had a drop 1L Spring from about top 2% to top 15% and still got a 2L offer but I obviously don't want that to happen again 2L year...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2L grades on SA and Offer chances

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:16 am

Twist: what about transfers? Obviously the expectation is for us to drop quite a bit from our previous class rank. Has a transfer ever been no-offered because of that?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2L grades on SA and Offer chances

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:What firm? (or as near as you feel comfortable describing)

I had a drop 1L Spring from about top 2% to top 15% and still got a 2L offer but I obviously don't want that to happen again 2L year...


It's one of the firms that has been mentioned recently for no offering a good amount of people (not Winston)

jennk
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:50 pm

Re: 2L grades on SA and Offer chances

Postby jennk » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:02 pm

This is really fascinating, since it seemed like everyone thought that grades didn't matter anymore.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2L grades on SA and Offer chances

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:11 pm

jennk wrote:This is really fascinating, since it seemed like everyone thought that grades didn't matter anymore.


Yeah that's what I thought too which is why I gave no fucks 2l year. Tbf most firms probably don't care, I just chose a shitty one

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 2L grades on SA and Offer chances

Postby 09042014 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:16 pm

Whats funny about TLS's conventional wisdom about grades and full time offers, is the one firm TLS was so sure actually cared, doesn't even ask for your transcript.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2L grades on SA and Offer chances

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Twist: what about transfers? Obviously the expectation is for us to drop quite a bit from our previous class rank. Has a transfer ever been no-offered because of that?


I think there is probably some expectation you will drop a bit as a transfer. I transferred from a T30 to a T14 and my grades actually dropped significantly, but I still received an offer.

The conventional wisdom - at least from what I can tell - is that 2L grades matter very little in determining whether an SA receives an offer. Most first will make a decision based your work product and fit. Even when someone is no-offered supposedly for 2L grades, it is hard to tell whether this was the real reason or if it was just a fit issue. It is easier for the firm to tell the no-offered SA that they didn't maintain their academic record rather than that they are actually just a jackass/creep and they don't really want to have to be around them for 12+ hours a day.

Best advice is just don't let them drop too much, whether you are a transfer or not. Save yourself from even having to worry about it.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: 2L grades on SA and Offer chances

Postby IAFG » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:21 pm

jennk wrote:This is really fascinating, since it seemed like everyone thought that grades didn't matter anymore.

The mentality came about because grades go from meaning absolutely everything to meaning nothing at almost every firm. Finding suspected exceptions isn't really all that interesting.

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: 2L grades on SA and Offer chances

Postby Old Gregg » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:23 pm

I think that the no-offer thread is really illustrative of the fact that if a firm wants to no-offer you, they'll find a reason to. Bad grades could be one of those reasons, but is almost always not the real reason.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.