Thoughts on Kirkland SF?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Thoughts on Kirkland SF?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:47 pm

Interested in M&A. They seem to be overflowing with work (PE only obviously), growing consistently and sustainably, etc. Anything negative that I'm missing, aside from the fact that some people don't like the K&E culture/free-market system generally? Would it be crazy to take an offer there over a V5 from a career development perspective?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Thoughts on Kirkland SF?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interested in M&A. They seem to be overflowing with work (PE only obviously), growing consistently and sustainably, etc. Anything negative that I'm missing, aside from the fact that some people don't like the K&E culture/free-market system generally? Would it be crazy to take an offer there over a V5 from a career development perspective?


I'm alost interested in thoughts on Kirkland SF, although I'm looking at litigation. How accurate are the Vault regional rankings, as it doesn't list Kirkland SF as a top player in Northern California?

To OP, one thing to consider is that there aren't any V5 firms located in the city of SF, although there are some in SV. This made a big difference to me, but perhaps you are indifferent in that respect.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Thoughts on Kirkland SF?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:00 am

Really depends on what you want to do. Kirkland SF has two big practices: Private Equity + IP Litigation. If you're interested in either of those practices, you'll be fine for career development. If you have any interest in something else (e.g., M&A as you mentioned), it'd probably be best to consider some place else.

That being said, corporate practice in SF/Silicon Valley, tends to be more general than in New York. Kirkland SF, however, seems focused on private equity. So, take that for what it's worth.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Thoughts on Kirkland SF?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:Really depends on what you want to do. Kirkland SF has two big practices: Private Equity + IP Litigation. If you're interested in either of those practices, you'll be fine for career development. If you have any interest in something else (e.g., M&A as you mentioned), it'd probably be best to consider some place else.

That being said, corporate practice in SF/Silicon Valley, tends to be more general than in New York. Kirkland SF, however, seems focused on private equity. So, take that for what it's worth.


I wouldn't even go to K&E sf for ip lit. It's pretty well known that the firms IP power centers are in Chicago and new york, and dc to a lesser extent.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Thoughts on Kirkland SF?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:56 am

My impressions from having interviewed there and done research on SF/SV:

If you're okay with mainly doing PE then KE SF does well. If you want a more general practice then I'd look elsewhere. On the litigation side they seemed like an outpost rather than a fully fledged office (tons of their work does not originate in the SF office and that would bother me).

They also seem to shed associates fairly regularly. It seems worse than other SF/SV firms, though I don't have a great frame of reference for that.

Caring about "V5" seems odd if you're focused on SF/SV, though it might make sense if you're trying to transition to NY or do more east coast based work.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Thoughts on Kirkland SF?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Really depends on what you want to do. Kirkland SF has two big practices: Private Equity + IP Litigation. If you're interested in either of those practices, you'll be fine for career development. If you have any interest in something else (e.g., M&A as you mentioned), it'd probably be best to consider some place else.

That being said, corporate practice in SF/Silicon Valley, tends to be more general than in New York. Kirkland SF, however, seems focused on private equity. So, take that for what it's worth.


I wouldn't even go to K&E sf for ip lit. It's pretty well known that the firms IP power centers are in Chicago and new york, and dc to a lesser extent.


Yeah, but it is SF. And if you want the Bay Area, you aren't really going to enjoy Chitown / DC / NY. There's a QOL factor at play here.

OP: I can't really speak to the ins and outs of whether and to what extent working at Kirkland SF will affect your career. I can say that two of my friends just finished summering there (and got offers). They loved it. But they're also the kind of people that thrive in that kind of environment (e.g., type-A and ambitious).

I will say that you might want to explore your options if you're interested in M&A and don't really want to focus on PE. As has been pointed out, their M&A practice is pretty focused. For lit, I think it's an easier choice, even if you don't necessarily want to do IP litigation.

Unless you're regionally-focused on SF, I think you'll find more M&A stuff originating elsewhere however.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.