Offer on the table...how long can I wait?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
fingersxd

Offer on the table...how long can I wait?

Postby fingersxd » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:12 pm

I received an offer from a firm that is set to expire in ~2 weeks. My school's OCI just ended and I'm continuing to reach out to firms, arrange CBs, etc.

How bad is it to wait until (almost) the last day to make a decision? Would this hurt my chances of an offer following the summer? I'd be happy working at the firm, but would really like the opportunity to interview with others and really see what my options are.

Anonymous User

Re: Offer on the table...how long can I wait?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:57 pm

fingersxd wrote:I received an offer from a firm that is set to expire in ~2 weeks. My school's OCI just ended and I'm continuing to reach out to firms, arrange CBs, etc.

How bad is it to wait until (almost) the last day to make a decision? Would this hurt my chances of an offer following the summer? I'd be happy working at the firm, but would really like the opportunity to interview with others and really see what my options are.

I went through a similar situation last year. While I wouldn't suggest accepting on the last day, accept the offer once it becomes clear you don't have other options. Within my two week deadline, I accepted a few days before the deadline. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Re: Offer on the table...how long can I wait?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:accept the offer once it becomes clear you don't have other options

Honestly, who cares. I accepted an offer on the spot last year and had a number of options, but I really loved the offer-giving firm and didn't feel any need to play games when my mind was already settled.

To OP, I don't think it matters. The timing of this, as long as it's still in the window, will not affect you down the road.

Return to “Legal Employment”