2013 NY DA Offices

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 NY DA Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 27, 2013 3:02 pm

Does anyone know how strict the residency requirement is for Nassau? It says that Rice may make exceptions, but does anyone know anything specific on the policy?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 NY DA Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 27, 2013 10:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did all of the offers for Nassau go out on Friday?


Don't know. They want an answer by c.o.b. tuesday, which indicates they want to make contingency offers quickly, if necessary. Will anyone else be joining me?


Thanks for the info. Did they indicate at all how big the incoming class is going to be?


No. I didn't ask, and they don't seem to really volunteer info.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 NY DA Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 27, 2013 10:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know how strict the residency requirement is for Nassau? It says that Rice may make exceptions, but does anyone know anything specific on the policy?


Liberal, I was told. They know Nassau is expensive.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 NY DA Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 28, 2013 12:23 pm

QUEENS DA: Anyone hear anything last week and does anyone have any new information as to the remaining offers they plan on making

Also, has anyone who had a final interview in Queens received a rejection...

Thanks

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 NY DA Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 28, 2013 6:40 pm

As of this morning, Queens has hired 14 and not sure how many more offers they can make (not that they are stopping there, but still assessing their budget). They think maybe more offers will go out in June.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 NY DA Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:09 am

QUEENS DA INQUIRY: So I have heard that Queens is on "hold" with respect to offers, but that they plan on making more sometime in mid June. That said, this information is second hand, and accordingly, I was wondering if anyone could confirm that information, as well as provide any other information that may be of interest to those still awaiting a final determination from Queens.

I have also heard that they are still conducting 2nd and 3rd round interviews which, to say the least, is a bit frustrating and off-putting, albeit understandable. Anyone else hear that.

Thanks

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 NY DA Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:37 pm

Is Nassau done making offers?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 NY DA Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:09 am

I though Nassau Was done; I heard that DA Rice had planned to finish extending all offers by the first week in June, but I heard that a month ago.

That said, with DA Rice posting all the photos of the Johns, and sending drunk drivers to jail for 25 to life, it seems to be more of a political organization than a DA's office.

Anybody have any updates regarding Queens. I heard they still have offers to make....

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 NY DA Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:I though Nassau Was done; I heard that DA Rice had planned to finish extending all offers by the first week in June, but I heard that a month ago.

That said, with DA Rice posting all the photos of the Johns, and sending drunk drivers to jail for 25 to life, it seems to be more of a political organization than a DA's office.

Anybody have any updates regarding Queens. I heard they still have offers to make....


DA's offices are political organizations. A natural consequence of having to raise money, be nominated by a political party, and get people to vote for you. It would be unusual for politics to not figure into higher-level policy decisions in most elected DA's offices. As long as the ADA hiring isn't political (and I didn't get the sense that it is there) and politics do not affect day-to-day prosecutorial decisions, I don't see the problem. Perhaps a more Continental style system would be better, but this is what we have.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 NY DA Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:01 pm

I have an update from Queens: I was told [directly] that they DO have more offers to make and that they hope to start making them next week [they want to finish all the scheduled interviews before the get back to making offers]

As to Nassau: I agree that a DA office, as most everything in the public sphere, is intertwined with Political motives, desires etc. That said, there is a way to accomplish political motives without overt acts that are clearly politically motivated; and I know that DA Rice is excellent at doing that. A prime example of that being her Terrace-Bedell "High Point" initiative in Hempstead which was a huge success in combatting the Hempstead "open air" drug market, but which also had political benefits for DA Rice.

That is very different from choosing to just post all the photos of Johns who were recently arrested. That is a political move with minimal, if any, actual value to combat the horrible collateral consequences of Prostitution. It is a political move cloaked as an effort to curb Prostitution, where in reality it is just a move to get DA Rice's name back in the spotlight. ADA's and DA's have a huge responsibility to the community, and that responsibility extends to, and perhaps is even heightened for, those members of the community charged with criminal conduct; the posting of photos was not in accord with such responsibility and arguably violated the duty owed to the Nassau Community.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 NY DA Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have an update from Queens: I was told [directly] that they DO have more offers to make and that they hope to start making them next week [they want to finish all the scheduled interviews before the get back to making offers]

As to Nassau: I agree that a DA office, as most everything in the public sphere, is intertwined with Political motives, desires etc. That said, there is a way to accomplish political motives without overt acts that are clearly politically motivated; and I know that DA Rice is excellent at doing that. A prime example of that being her Terrace-Bedell "High Point" initiative in Hempstead which was a huge success in combatting the Hempstead "open air" drug market, but which also had political benefits for DA Rice.

That is very different from choosing to just post all the photos of Johns who were recently arrested. That is a political move with minimal, if any, actual value to combat the horrible collateral consequences of Prostitution. It is a political move cloaked as an effort to curb Prostitution, where in reality it is just a move to get DA Rice's name back in the spotlight. ADA's and DA's have a huge responsibility to the community, and that responsibility extends to, and perhaps is even heightened for, those members of the community charged with criminal conduct; the posting of photos was not in accord with such responsibility and arguably violated the duty owed to the Nassau Community.


Do you know how many more offers Queens is planning on making?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 NY DA Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:34 am

I heard anywhere from 3 to 6 remaining offers from Queens

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 NY DA Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:43 am

Anybody Hear anything from Queens this week....word is that they will make the remaining offers within the next 10 days.....

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 NY DA Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:47 pm

do any of the offices help pay to come to any of the interviews for out of staters?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.