2013 NY DA Offices

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2013 NY DA Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:48 am

For those of you who got 1st rounders from Manhattan - did they email or call you to invite you to interview?

Anyone receive a rejection from Manhattan yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:For those of you who got 1st rounders from Manhattan - did they email or call you to invite you to interview?

Anyone receive a rejection from Manhattan yet?

Email

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:05 am

Geist13 wrote:Can someone explain what the heck this statement of interest that some of the offices require and how in the world it differs from the content of my cover letter (my cover letter explains why that office, crim. experience, and why prosecution).

I had the exact same thought. My cover letters generally consist of:
1. Why Prosecution
2. Why office x
3. My experience in prosecution

So what I did was look at what the interest letter wants.
For instance, one of them wanted to know about
2. why office x
3. my experience in proseuction.

So for my cover letter i Just focused on 1. Why prosecution. THen at the end, I said something like: for information on my qualification and Why I would like to work for _______ in particular, please see the enclosed documents.

Sure, some of them ask why prosecution in your interest letter- but I think its all right if you hammer it home in your cover letter and then mention it briefly in your interest letter and then go onto to do 2. why office x and 3.your experience. The way I see it, even if you barely mention your interest in prosecution at the start of your interest letter- if you really get into 2. why office x and 3. your experience- itll become pretty obvious why you are interest in proseuction.

TL;DR: Remove the parts from your cover letter that are supposed to be in your letter of interest, let the remaining parts make up your cover letter.

Disclaimer: I only applied to NY in the past couple of weeks and haven't heard back from any of them yet

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed with Philly DA for those of you wondering about the callback. The callback hypos were pretty typical, although the atmosphere was "good cop, bad cop" with some of the interviewers acting very friendly and casual, while others were hostile and firing questions at me. My main gripe is that one of the interviewers refused to shake my hand at the end, which was completely awkward. It was a panel interview, but I still I hope that none of you interview with that ADA.

How long after your pre-screener interview did you get contacted for a callback interview?
What method did they use to inform you they wanted to do a callback interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:10 am

Anyone know the timeline for Bronx DA and whether or not they respond to applicants? I submitted an application about a month ago and have yet to hear anything. Should I call?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:26 pm

Got a first-round interview invite via email from the New York County District Attorney's Office recently. Anyone know the application process for them?

Myself

Postby Myself » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:26 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got a first-round interview invite via email from the New York County District Attorney's Office recently. Anyone know the application process for them?

they have a website...

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got a first-round interview invite via email from the New York County District Attorney's Office recently. Anyone know the application process for them?

How long ago did you apply?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:46 pm

I also applied directly to BX a long time ago and have heard nothing other than that my file is received. Definitely disconcerting since they're doing so many interviews on campus, but hope they'll get around to us before it's too late.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:03 am

Geist13 wrote:

How long ago did you apply?

i was not the poster you quoted, but i heard back about 3 weeks after i submitted

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:44 pm

I have been able to schedule interviews at multiple NY offices in a single trip. I'd like to contact Brooklyn and brox and basically say "I'll be in town can I stop by for an interview?" (I haven't heard back from either office). Has anyone had any luck with such requests at either office or other NY offices?

CPR

Postby CPR » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:51 pm

I just got word I have a first round interview with the Bronx, SI has said they're not looking, and a rejection from Queens. Any 2012 graduates applying to Manhattan, if so did you put yourself in as a lateral?

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:03 pm

is this thread for post-grad or summer work?

because unless i seriously mis read the website, i though applications for summer shit weren't open till next month

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:04 pm

CPR wrote:I just got word I have a first round interview with the Bronx, SI has said they're not looking, and a rejection from Queens. Any 2012 graduates applying to Manhattan, if so did you put yourself in as a lateral?

When did you apply to Queens? And did they email or snail mail? I applied a few weeks ago but haven't heard anything... Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:30 pm

Any dings from Manhattan DA yet?

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:46 pm

CPR wrote:I just got word I have a first round interview with the Bronx, SI has said they're not looking, and a rejection from Queens. Any 2012 graduates applying to Manhattan, if so did you put yourself in as a lateral?

How long ago did you apply to Bronx and queens?

First rounds with New York and Nassau Counties scheduled. Applied to both last week. Still waiting on Bronx, kings, queens and Suffolk counties (not sure if Suffolk even hires a significant #)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:18 am

Geist13 wrote:

How long ago did you apply to Bronx and queens?

First rounds with New York and Nassau Counties scheduled. Applied to both last week. Still waiting on Bronx, kings, queens and Suffolk counties (not sure if Suffolk even hires a significant #)

FYI I interviewed with Suffolk for Class of 2012 and they immediately said they weren't planning on hiring anyone. I would imagine they ended up hiring ~5 ADAs but that's just a guess.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:34 am

I've had my first rounds for Queens and Bronx. Both interviews were really laid back and just talked about my prosecution experience. I was also asked why not be a defense attorney repeatedly. I've got Manhattan's first round today and Nassau coming up and I'll post if any hypos come up (rare for a first round but not unheard of),

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:I've had my first rounds for Queens and Bronx. Both interviews were really laid back and just talked about my prosecution experience. I was also asked why not be a defense attorney repeatedly. I've got Manhattan's first round today and Nassau coming up and I'll post if any hypos come up (rare for a first round but not unheard of),

I received hypos in my first round interview fairly recently.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:38 pm

So for first round hypos, should I get familiar with Brady? Never covered it in any of my crim courses and it has not come up at work.

Any tips on what to use to get into the Brady rules? I have Deessler crim pro.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:19 pm

Does Manhattan always call references before offering a round two?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've had my first rounds for Queens and Bronx. Both interviews were really laid back and just talked about my prosecution experience. I was also asked why not be a defense attorney repeatedly. I've got Manhattan's first round today and Nassau coming up and I'll post if any hypos come up (rare for a first round but not unheard of),

I received hypos in my first round interview fairly recently.

This. I got hypos from NY and Philly, but the Queens DA was a really informal interview. I'm glad to hear that they're still doing first-round interviews, because I thought they had forgotten about me. I interviewed at the beginning of the school year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:14 pm

Geist13 wrote:So for first round hypos, should I get familiar with Brady? Never covered it in any of my crim courses and it has not come up at work.

Any tips on what to use to get into the Brady rules? I have Deessler crim pro.

Yeah, study up on Brady and it's successors, along with Rule 3.8 in the Rules of Professional Conduct. They want an answer from you, so give it to them. From what I've been told, there is on right or wrong answer, only ethical or unethical.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:24 pm

When did you apply to Queens?

Return to “Legal Employment”